Apl’s Barn Program Offers New Life For Feral Cats.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
This was in Apr 13th State Journal-Register newspaper and I just had to share.
The Animal Protective League of Sangamon County has found an innovative solution to a problem that animal control centers have been struggling with for years. What to do with unadoptable, feral cats?
Up until last year, practically all of the feral cats dropped off at county animal control centers were euthanized. The new APL program, however, puts the cats to work in barns on rural farms. The cats retain their independent streaks, are fed by the property owners and, best of all, aren’t euthanized.
Greg Largent, director of operations for Sangamon County’s Animal Control Center, said the APL’s barn cat program has created an outlet for otherwise unadoptable cats.
“The transition of the feral cat from urban nuisance to rural farmhand is a win-win proposition,” Largent said.
“If they’re at animal control, there’s a 100 percent chance they are going to die. If they are in a barn home, they have a really good chance of living a normal life, normal for them, for a number of years,” said Sarah Moore, the APL’s spay neuter clinic manager and barn cat manager.
‘From urban nuisance to rural farmhand’
The APL started its barn cat program in August. Since then, it has given out more than 300 feral cats. These are wild cats that have been dropped off at area animal shelters. They aren’t suitable for traditional pet adoptions, they are not social and have no desire to be touched by people.
“The (barn) cats almost exclusively come from animal control facilities where people have trapped them and brought them in for one reason or another,” Moore said. “I think most people probably think they are doing the right thing by taking them to a shelter. Unfortunately, the cats are never going to be adoptable, and so most of them are euthanized at animal control facilities.”
Moore added it isn’t feasible to attempt to tame an adult feral cat.
“You can tame two- to three-month-old feral kittens fairly easily, but, after that point, it becomes very difficult and very labor intensive,” Moore said. “Cats in shelters are not going to get enough socialization to become adoptable if they start out as feral. ... Most of them will never want attention.”
The APL has the adopters keep the barn cats confined, either to an outbuilding or to a cage inside the outbuilding for the first few weeks. That way, they know that the property is their new home.
Barn cat adopters are required to provide the cats food and water. In turn, the cats control the rodent population in barns and out-buildings.
When it comes to feral cats, Moore said the best thing people can do is trap them, have them spayed or neutered, vaccinated for rabies and other diseases and then return them to where they were found.
Barn cats are free to the adopters. All of the cats are neutered, vaccinated, treated for parasites and microchipped.
“We offer follow-up vaccinations if they can catch the cats,” Moore said.
Since the cats are feral, they are not on public view at the APL and people are not allowed to select their barn cats. If someone has a size, color or gender preference, the APL will try to find a match.
In addition to the barn cats, the APL has plenty of socialized cats up for adoption that would make great house pets.
“Usually, we do free adoptions for cats over a year old because they are so numerous. People pass them over for the kittens,” Moore said.
For more information on the barn cat program, call the APL at 544-7387 or visit bit.ly/APLbarncats.
Contact John Reynolds: [email protected], 788-1524, twitter.com/JohnReynoldsSJR.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't agree with the part that feral cats have no desire to be touched by people though. Well at first they don't want to be touched, but not forever, that's sad! They are just afraid because they know humans are a danger to them. I touch my two former ferals every day. I don't know, it just makes me sad to think of them living their whole lives in a barn with nobody ever touching or loving them. Maybe I'm being too sensitive, maybe they are fine without human interaction and enjoy their outdoor life. It just makes me sad. :(

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’ve done the barn cat program with several of my cat colony. If that is a way to save them from euthanasia it’s wonderful! That was my situation and it worked well for them. Me, I was too attached, so for me not to well.

Guess in a way it’s sad I can’t adopt the local farm mentality of “it is just a cat”. But I don’t think I would enjoy that part of me. Anyway somebody has to be like that, I guess.....it’s still a little life saved.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't agree with the part that feral cats have no desire to be touched by people though. Well at first they don't want to be touched, but not forever, that's sad! They are just afraid because they know humans are a danger to them. I touch my two former ferals every day. I don't know, it just makes me sad to think of them living their whole lives in a barn with nobody ever touching or loving them. Maybe I'm being too sensitive, maybe they are fine without human interaction and enjoy their outdoor life. It just makes me sad. :(
This is more of the article, originally I had copied & pasted parts:
Virden family enjoys their barn cats
While most of the cats in the barn program want nothing to do with people, there are some exceptions.
Cindy and Keith Ladage of rural Virden signed up for the barn cat program and ended up getting one of the friendly outdoor cats. Her name is Esmeralda.
“She comes up to the house and stares in the window. She will even let us pet her,” Cindy Ladage said.
The Ladages received four barn cats from the APL when they signed up for the program. Two others, Encore and Marbles, keep their distance from people.
“Marbles will come up to within six feet of you and stare, but he wouldn’t let you pet him. I wouldn’t even try,” Cindy said.
The APL has the adopters keep the barn cats confined, either to an outbuilding or to a cage inside the outbuilding for the first few weeks. That way, they know that the property is their new home.
Unfortunately, one of the four cats the Ladages received managed to slip out of the cage.
“I’m not sure if she is still around,” Cindy said.
Barn cat adopters are required to provide the cats food and water. In turn, the cats control the rodent population in barns and out-buildings.
“I had one adopter who had a bird problem in their barn and she got the cats to help with the birds. The cats don’t even necessarily have to kill the birds or rodents. Just their presence will help keep the rodents and birds away because they are naturally going to be afraid of the cats,” Moore said.
Cindy said they used to have a tomcat on the property, but he recently died.
“We never had a mouse in the house because of that tomcat, and I don’t want to get any mice. We’re surrounded by corn fields,” Cindy said.