Anyone Watching The Eclipse (aug 21)?

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have glasses so I'm using a pinhole projector. This isn't the greatest picture, but I couldn't see the image at all on my phone's screen so I was photographing blindly. We're not at the maximum point yet, we keep running out when it's sunny to see how far it's gotten. We'll have a little over 80% gone at maximum.

20170821_135709.jpg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so cool, I'm jealous :D.

Now it's a little lighter here, it didn't get very dark anyway. The storm is getting closer, though, so it's just going to get darker again.

I can't watch videos on my work computer, and the 4g connection here isn't great since I'm in a valley, so I'll have to wait until I get home to watch a video of the eclipse.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
87% here, just watched it on tv - so unbelievably cool! :cool2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
100% totality here at 1:17! It was very cool! The birds stopped singing, and the crickets started chirping. I have pictures taken through a camera with filter, which I can post later. :hyper:

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
It is so dark right now, as if the sun has half its lumens. We have a bit of cloud cover, and that enabled me to get an awesome picture. This was 11 minutes before the maximum coverage.

20170821_143312 - Copy.jpg

Near the peak we saw the mailman so we took our pinhole paper over there, he and the guy talking to him were able to see it. Walking back we saw a family, dad and three young kids, and we showed them as well. I hope those kids remember it for the rest of their lives.

And right at the peak a very thin cloud covered the sun, too thick for the pinhole projector, too thin to look through it. Darn, denied!

We lucked out big time. This was just a quick picture to capture the cloud cover. Look at how close the complete blanket of clouds are. This was actually within a minute of the peak but there were no blocking clouds so it can't be seen. But also look at the light level on the nearby objects. That is true to how little light there is, and there's zero cloud cover blocking the sun.
20170821_144038_HDR.jpg

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3:26 pm here in Northeast US. I have the day off and am following everything live on Washington Post. About 1:45 pm noticed shadow appearing and have been advancing since where I am. What is really, really cool is that outside of the traffic on this busy street is that otherwise, it is SOooo quiet. Even at night, you hear chirping and such. When there are no cars going by, really, really calm and quiet. Darn those cars!

I was going to go to the ocean in New Hampshire today but was nervous about damage to my eyes. Does anyone know how it is at the ocean?

Thank you @betsygee , arouetta arouetta , and foxxycat foxxycat ! I do appreciate the photos as I don't have special glasses!

This eclipse gets me thinking a lot about how much the sun affects us! :sunshine:

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't have glasses either, which is why I did the pinhole method. And yeah I was a bad girl during the cloud cover. And I squinted a couple of times. My phone had no filter either, so the last two photos are true to life. The previous one was the sheet of paper under the pinhole.

There's still a little bit of time if you want to try a pinhole projector.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I think the beach would be fine. It's still very bright outside. I am at work so not sure if highway clogged..there's a live feed online of Route 95 I believe you can check...Mondays probably not too busy at least most of them went home yesterday from the traffic heading south when I went north back to Rochester area.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
I quit watching shortly after the peak, I went outside a couple more times until it started getting lighter, shortly after 3pm. That site that @Mother Dragon gave the link to said the show was over for me at 4:02pm. Just a couple of minutes ago, 4:05pm, I heard what sounded like someone knocking, looked out my back door, huge raindrops hitting the side of the house were what was causing the sound. Boy did I luck out today to have the partly cloudy skies at just the right time.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I am wondering about those members here who have had a chance to be with their kitties at home, in their normal environments, during the eclipse. Did you notice any mood changes or anything out of the ordinary with your kitties in the lead-up or during the eclipse? I feel like I did. (Could it be a result of another cause and not the eclipse? Of course... but still!) Milly's been especially moody this morning, didn't want to play at all, and was hunching near the windows during the lead-up (we were about 92% totality where I live).

I understand that cats' whiskers are ultra sensitive to air pressure changes and temp changes. Do you think that they sense the eclipse in this way?
Not a thing happened here. Samai slept on top of the coat rack, Onsa kept getting into things and knocking everything over.
So, normal.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie was the same.. in his tent, sleeping. It did get darkish around here. We had the 62% totality. It was also a bit cloudy. I have the windows open and noticed that it did get cooler during the eclipse.

When the eclipse was over, it seemed the traffic restarted and the birds started singing again.. Was a strange stillness to the air..

I watched it on TV and had a live feed from a local observatory on Facebook. (WBZ TV)

Kind of wish I was in the totality area.. it would have been something to see..

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
I quit watching shortly after the peak, I went outside a couple more times until it started getting lighter, shortly after 3pm. That site that @Mother Dragon gave the link to said the show was over for me at 4:02pm. Just a couple of minutes ago, 4:05pm, I heard what sounded like someone knocking, looked out my back door, huge raindrops hitting the side of the house were what was causing the sound. Boy did I luck out today to have the partly cloudy skies at just the right time.
And now a tornado warning. Wow, oh wow did I get lucky on the timing.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A friend of mine posted video taken during totality. Not so much the sun itself but everything around her on a beach in South Carolina. It was awesome! It looked like late dusk then suddenly it was daytime again.

I regret not traveling for it.

We got a decent look here with our glasses. The pinhole and colanders didn't do much. I think we had too much cloud cover coming in. But it did let me get a few pictures through the clouds.

The birds were crazy at the feeder not long before! There had to be a dozen there. Now its quiet. mooch and Noodles were completely normal. :lol:

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was not planning to view the eclipse in person since I did not have glasses. My ride dropped me off early at work and one of my regular customers shared his glasses with me. It did not seem to get really dark or cool off at all. My hubby got to see it to since his office handed out glasses. We saw the eclipse 35 miles apart from each other at the exact same time. It was cool that we both got to see it. Neither one of us took pictures since we did not have filters for our phones.