Anyone Watching The Eclipse (aug 21)?

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I will use my welding helmet. Got a shade 11. Shade 12 is too dark. Shade 10 too bright. I also got a plain shade 11 lens incase the auto lens in my helmet doesn't kick on-we are in the north east so don't think we will be in line of sight but I will pop outside Monday and see if we see anything.
From what I read, not all welding helmets are safe for viewing. Please check a responsible website to ensure yours meet the criteria.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may check out NASA. Assuming the website doesn't crash, the cameras are working and the ISS is actually in view of it.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I just read on another board that people are warning everybody to keep their pets inside during the eclipse.

HA!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like some people think there's something worse about looking at the sun during an eclipse :dunno:. Um no. You're not supposed to ever look at the sun. It's just that normally you don't have any reason to look at it, and during an eclipse you want to see what's going on.

I don't think your pet thinks an eclipse is worth looking at :rolleyes2:.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm at work. Last night, our local weatherweenie talked about a good possibility of cloudy skies this afternoon with showers around 3:00. I'm not going to use a vacation day and then not be able to see anything anyway. So I came on into work this morning.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The sky is getting dark here and it's supposed to shower close to the time of the eclipse. :frown: The Adler Planetarium is giving out 30,000 glasses for free but you have to be there by 9:30 a.m. and I woke up late this morning.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have NASA's channel streaming live on the TV through the Roku/Youtube. I've got it live on Facebook too.

The kids and I made pinhole projectors this morning and we have solar glasses. :thumbsup:

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm watching it on Science channel, it just passed totality. When totality ended in Madras my daughter and I went outside, since we will get a partial view and the start of the local view was less than five minutes from the end of totality in Madras. And....what sun? Super huge cloud in the way. This morning when I was testing my pinhole projector it was just a little cloudy, now there's a lot. I do hope the clouds will clear up by the time most of the sun is covered from my vantage point.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am at work; we are somewhere in the 60% range here. We have a mechanics shop on site with welders glass at 14 darkness. So we were passing the glasses and squares of glass around to look through. I did make the mistake of a quick glance up because I am special and wasn't sure where the sun would be (ouch). Much more impressive to look through the glass instead of the little pinhole box when I was a kid during the last eclipse.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read on another board that people are warning everybody to keep their pets inside during the eclipse.

HA!
It sounds stupid and crazy, but I'm starting to think there might be something to it. Midway has been bouncing back and forth between the window and the interior of the house, acting like he's stalking an invisible fast moving moth. He's never been this crazy about the windows before.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I got my shade 13 and shade 5 lens together=it looks really cool. There's a chunk missing from the sun at the 1-2 oclock position.

ok I just went out and it's even bigger chunk missing. its the bottom right corner-I was wrong above. we will see it at the 70% around 2:45pm.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^^ that's pretty much what it looks like here, too :/. It's very cloudy, I can't even tell where the sun is in the sky. And there's a big scary storm heading this direction, about 20 miles away now. So at this moment it seems like the same amount of darkness as I would expect to see from any large storm. It's about 10 minutes from maximum, I wonder how dark it will get. Maybe we'll get hail instead. . .that's a bad tradeoff!

I can hear people "woo"-ing a few blocks away. Did they have an eclipse party and decided to make the most of it anyway? School has already started in this town so it's not kids. Crazy.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I am wondering about those members here who have had a chance to be with their kitties at home, in their normal environments, during the eclipse. Did you notice any mood changes or anything out of the ordinary with your kitties in the lead-up or during the eclipse? I feel like I did. (Could it be a result of another cause and not the eclipse? Of course... but still!) Milly's been especially moody this morning, didn't want to play at all, and was hunching near the windows during the lead-up (we were about 92% totality where I live).

I understand that cats' whiskers are ultra sensitive to air pressure changes and temp changes. Do you think that they sense the eclipse in this way?