Anyone use Tofu based litter?

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Currently my setup is
SiftEase Sifting system
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F6VRN17/?tag=thecatsite
It's a separate sifting box which you have to pour everything into that box to collect waste. IMO, it's so much better than sifting litter boxes.
1) Holes are bigger - means less clogging
2) For sifting litter boxes, you can only lift the sifter 1 inch or less so you don't make an entire mess on the floor. Yes, you can still make a mess with SiftEase, but I found out if your litter is highly tracking anyway, it's unavoidable.

Okocat Super Soft is what I'm currently using. I only recently learned that inhaling sawdust is carcinogenic. And Okocat can claim low dust all they want, they are definitely not low dust. It's better than clay dust, but still. Cancer? I've been using this litter for almost a year and I'm ready to change.

That's where my interest in tofu litter kicked in. They are pellet shaped, so this will help with the low tracking. I never used tofu before and I noticed a bunch of them are scented. The general rule about litter is for it to be unscented, but there are a LOT of green tea variants out there. One thing I will miss about wood based litter is the superb odor masking.

I want to know if anyone has tried Tofu litter (unscented and scented) and could share a brand. I notice the steep price, but I only have one cat. Can those who currently or used in the past confirm if I need to buy two bags of litter (they typically only sell 4-5lb at a time) to fill one medium sized litter box?

Thank you.

Previously owned Litter robot, not worth it if you live in apt, sorry, I'll be the very unpopular opinion on this.

Last edited:

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I used Tofu litter recently for about a week. I used because after one of my cats got I-131 treatment, the requirement for the week of quarantine was to either use flushable litter (thus, the Tofu) or store the cat's waste somewhere for about 90 days before discarding. I chose the flushable route.

As for brand and impressions, the one I used was Tofu flushable Cat Litter by PETNF. I only used this brand so can't compare to other brands. My impressions in a nutshell. The good: flushable (the litter dissolved in the toilet before flushing), good clumping and absorbent for liquid, no dust, no tracking. The bad: not absorbent for solid, needed topping off to control odor, pricey.

After the week was up, I tried flushing the rest in the toilet but trying to was a tedious process as the key is to not put too much in at one time. I ended up stored the rest in a bucket set aside for 90 days to discard.

It was nice having no dust and no tracking, but went back to clumping clay. When I do the cat litter box duties, I always were a vapor mask so this cuts down on breathing in odor and dust. As for the clumping brand, I prefer Tidy Cats as I've tried store brands before and some are quite dusty.

As for my cats and the Tofu, they didn't seem to mind as they used the litter box. One cat didn't cover up but maybe that's just him and not the litter itself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your detailed response. I've had bad luck with flushing "flushable" wipes down the toilet and it clogging anyway, so I wasn't thinking about tofu solely based on this. My biggest problems now are: tracking and dust. Unfortunately with the set up I use, I feel like I inhale more dust (even with a KN95) than if I were just hand scooping. What is a vapor mask? Are those the heavy duty masks respirator things?

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your detailed response. I've had bad luck with flushing "flushable" wipes down the toilet and it clogging anyway, so I wasn't thinking about tofu solely based on this. My biggest problems now are: tracking and dust. Unfortunately with the set up I use, I feel like I inhale more dust (even with a KN95) than if I were just hand scooping. What is a vapor mask? Are those the heavy duty masks respirator things?
You're welcome. The vapor mask is use is a 3M vapor mask that takes P100 filters. P100 meaning if fitted properly, can block out 100%. Of course, nothing is 100% but it does a really good job and is breathable in that I don't feel like I'm suffocating when wearing. There are different mask sizes depending of your face size. I fit a medium.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008MCUT86/?tag=thecatsite

I depend on the mask a lot. Not only for cat litter but for things like protecting from sawdust when sawing and housecleaning like cleaning the bathroom to block of vapors. Not heavy in that not tiring on the neck.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great! Thank you so much.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You're welcome. The vapor mask is use is a 3M vapor mask that takes P100 filters. P100 meaning if fitted properly, can block out 100%. Of course, nothing is 100% but it does a really good job and is breathable in that I don't feel like I'm suffocating when wearing. There are different mask sizes depending of your face size. I fit a medium.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008MCUT86/?tag=thecatsite

I depend on the mask a lot. Not only for cat litter but for things like protecting from sawdust when sawing and housecleaning like cleaning the bathroom to block of vapors. Not heavy in that not tiring on the neck.
i forgot to ask how long do the filters last if I'm only going to use it for house cleaning and cat box?

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i forgot to ask how long do the filters last if I'm only going to use it for house cleaning and cat box?
There is a recommended time to replace filters. I have a spare but haven't replaced it in years. Still seems to work fine when I'm cleaning a cat box or sawing wood or cleaning the bathroom.

I think I've seen the same mask on TV with health workers protecting themselves against covid. Now, if I was in that setting, I'd make sure to have a new filter.

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While were are on the mask topic, I should mention to that over many uses (every day for cat litter and also other tasks), the masks does wear off like the plastic from stretching the elastic bands to fit on face. I say a masks lasts about 3 years. In fact I just had one wear off. I bought a replacement but the cheapskate in me fixed (not sure how long it will hold up) the worn out area with applying some glue from a glue gun.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's where my interest in tofu litter kicked in. They are pellet shaped, so this will help with the low tracking. I never used tofu before and I noticed a bunch of them are scented. The general rule about litter is for it to be unscented, but there are a LOT of green tea variants out there. One thing I will miss about wood based litter is the superb odor masking.

I want to know if anyone has tried Tofu litter (unscented and scented) and could share a brand. I notice the steep price, but I only have one cat. Can those who currently or used in the past confirm if I need to buy two bags of litter (they typically only sell 4-5lb at a time) to fill one medium sized litter box?

Thank you.

Previously owned Litter robot, not worth it if you live in apt, sorry, I'll be the very unpopular opinion on this.
I haven't tried it, but I can't think of a better use for tofu.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
While were are on the mask topic, I should mention to that over many uses (every day for cat litter and also other tasks), the masks does wear off like the plastic from stretching the elastic bands to fit on face. I say a masks lasts about 3 years. In fact I just had one wear off. I bought a replacement but the cheapskate in me fixed (not sure how long it will hold up) the worn out area with applying some glue from a glue gun.

oh that's totally fine, the mask itself is pretty affordable. I was worried that I had to buy filters like, every month. The cheapest filters I found were like 2x for $12. Maybe I could've find even cheaper if I bought in bulk, but didn't want to fully invest yet. This will save my butt when I'm bleaching the bathroom. Hopefully.

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh that's totally fine, the mask itself is pretty affordable. I was worried that I had to buy filters like, every month. The cheapest filters I found were like 2x for $12. Maybe I could've find even cheaper if I bought in bulk, but didn't want to fully invest yet. This will save my butt when I'm bleaching the bathroom. Hopefully.
I just cleaned my bathroom yesterday using the mask. I've stopped using bleach but used white vinegar. With the mask (and the old filter that I haven't replaced), I really couldn't smell the vinegar. A worthy investment to save my lungs.

If you get one, make sure it's the model like the one gave one the link in earlier post with the "Proprietary 3M™ CoolFlow™ valve" as that helps makes breathing easier. Other masks without the CoolFlow valve may make them feel like you aren't getting in enough air.

I weighed the mask and filters I have. Light weight, under 6 oz.

There is a trick to putting on the filters. Make sure to turn and so that they lock in place. I was first using them and seemed like would fall off time to time or seem not work well until I realized I didn't have them locked in place.

Attachments

Last edited:

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I just wanted to comment, if you're finding that you have to use a mask when handling the litter, it's still too dusty for your cat.

I combine a clay based litter (so that I still get the clumping), with a corncob, walnut or similar type litter and it works since the dust is a lot less. I haven't tried tofu yet.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
I just wanted to comment, if you're finding that you have to use a mask when handling the litter, it's still too dusty for your cat.

I combine a clay based litter (so that I still get the clumping), with a corncob, walnut or similar type litter and it works since the dust is a lot less. I haven't tried tofu yet.
To clarify, I got the mask for me because I have to dump the entire litter box in a separate sifter box to collect waste. And then I had to read the whole thing about wood dust and cancer and my paranoid self.

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For me, I find that Tidy Cats is really good about not having too much dust. Yet, I still prefer the vapor mask as it does such a very good job a blocking out odor while scooping. I don't want to take a good whiff of the cat litter box while scooping when I don't have to.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Plus I have asthma. I can't wait to switch to tofu though, I don't see how tofu can make dust.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was thinking of you earlier today - I apologize for not reading the entire thread more thoroughly and may have missed it, but have you considered air cleaners?