Anyone Tried Royal Canin Urinary + Satiety?

Hugospal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet recommended this for my cat who is overweight and has had a minor urinary issue recently...the ingredients are killing me but if it will really work we will try it. Hugo is 9 and has heart disease/asthma also so it is becoming very important he not be so overweight. I adopted him from the shelter as a chubby cat and he's been rather large for the 8 years I've had him. I have two fur babies so i also need to make sure I can feed it to them both. They eat Simply Nourish indoor chicken dry and Nutro canned 2x per day currently. Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
The RC has a lot of ingredients that look to me that they're supposed to make the cat feel full.....
I don't know about all that but here's what I would do.
Obtain some canned food, it has more moisture which will help for urinary issues. Feed your baby frequent small meals so that a diet doesn't happen too quickly. Combined with one meal of the RC, this can work.

If you can you may want to get a timed and/or microchip feeder, because I think your chubby cat will need something overnight.

I've read that some people had weight loss success simply by switching to canned.

A cat should have 20 to 25 calories;
This post in this thread, although that cat's situation is opposite but the info is still valid for you I think, may help;
Food Loving Cat Climbs On Counters/opens Cupboards

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've tried the canned variety of RC, and my cat wouldn't eat it. I also tried the very expensive dry kind, which had a sedative in it and made Mingo sick.

I won't buy any RC food again.

I adopted a chubby cat, too, and got her down to 9 pounds from 11 pounds by feeding her about 1/8 cup dry food in the morning and one Sheba portion in the evening.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What dreamerrose mentions as a daily amount brings up a good point, that various cat foods and brands are different in regards to the nutrient/caloric content.

You'll want to be watchful with your kitty, -----every cat is different, and you don't want to go too fast with the weight loss :)

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like a small amount, but she is a small, inactive cat. It took her a year to lose the 2 pounds, and she looked so skinny that I let her gain a pound back. She gets a little less than 1/4 cup dry food now.

My points are that manufacturers recommend too much food on the package and RC is not a good food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hugospal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Honestly last time we had an emergency vet visit while trying to lose weight on a non rx science diet weight loss food...I am really torn over what to try. The food they eat now isn't the highest quality or most expensive thing I can afford but it's a lot better quality than RC and SD and the cats like it (We tried Orijen and Acana on different occasions and the cats said nope!)

Hugo had one flare up of a potential urinary issue, some discharge but really no other signs of pain discomfort or blockage. He is 9 now and not sure that merits being on a urinary food for the rest of his life. vet also said it could have very well been an external issue like yeast or something and not so much urinary (PH was a little high but bladder was free of infection)

I did pick up the science diet version because it comes in a canned food. I let them try it today and they don't hate it, but at like 2 dollars per 3oz can I would go broke feeding them that. I do not want to feed an entirely dry diet. Hugo is super picky and eats more wet food now than he ever has, but he still gets some dry and I'd like to keep it at like 2/3 wet 1/3 dry per day.

Those auto feeders do sound like a good idea!

The only thing with feeding him less is that both cats tend to gobble food when they're really hungry and they vomit it back up...that and Hugo will pester you endlessly if he doesn't get a certain amount of food, which seemed like the only perk of the satiety formula.

I wish I could find a vet that knows or recommends anything other than the run of the mill rx foods!