Anyone Traveling to See the April 8, 2024 Solar Eclipse? Or staying home?

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its path starts in Mexico, goes through Texas, Ohio NY state and Canada, then out to sea.

I've got three friends who are traveling long distances to see it; a couple from here to Texas and a friend from here to NY, Niagara Falls.

Anyone here gonna travel to see it? Or know someone who will?

My younger brother and a best friend from high school both live in the path of totality on the easter edge of the Cleveland metropolis.

Maybe it's going to pass by you?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will look where we are (about 95% I think), but with a 3 and 1 year old, I don't trust either of them to keep on the glasses, so my husband and I may take turns going out.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hear they're bracing for a huge mob to descend on them in Niagara Falls ON, and I'm sure in NY, too.

Hope you get some pictures!
According to the news stations, there's not a hotel room to be had on either side of the border, and they are charging anywhere from $550 to $900 a night for rooms that would cost, in normal times, $150 or so. In fact, there was one about a guy who booked a room a year ago, for the regular rate, only to be told a week or so ago, that the entire hotel had been booked by a single group, and he was out of luck. Several roads will be shut down, and schools will be closed for the day. In fact, I was at the bank Monday, and they will close early. Good grief!
As far as pictures, I have one of those solar filters for my camera, and I can set up my tripod on the deck. Then, all I need is for the weather to cooperate. Michele, on the other hand, is hoping for a solid overcast.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
According to the news stations, there's not a hotel room to be had on either side of the border, and they are charging anywhere from $550 to $900 a night for rooms that would cost, in normal times, $150 or so. In fact, there was one about a guy who booked a room a year ago, for the regular rate, only to be told a week or so ago, that the entire hotel had been booked by a single group, and he was out of luck. Several roads will be shut down, and schools will be closed for the day. In fact, I was at the bank Monday, and they will close early. Good grief!
As far as pictures, I have one of those solar filters for my camera, and I can set up my tripod on the deck. Then, all I need is for the weather to cooperate. Michele, on the other hand, is hoping for a solid overcast.
Even if you can't get a picture of the disc directly, bet you can get a film of daylight suddenly going dark, then coming back again.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No I am close to the total path but no. I am assuming that we will get a very noticeable partial eclipse in Columbus. The fairgrounds west of Columbus are even renting out campsites.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I considered driving 6-8 hours to Missouri or Indiana, but I have therapy on Monday and I also work on Tuesday so it's not realistically feasible. The next time there will be an eclipse over Minnesota will be 2099 so if I can live to 113, I'll be able to see one. :lol:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw an animation online of what it will be like in Columbus and it will be very close to a total eclipse. I thought it would be because we are very close to the path of a total eclipse.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We are in the direct line of the path of totality. There are expectations of congested traffic and people everywhere. Many businesses are closing, and schools will be closed. (Part of this, I believe, if the influx of strangers and many kids in the city walk to and from school.)
I'm just hoping no one takes it upon themselves to consider our property free camping grounds. If they do, the amount of rain we've had with the un-even ground will certainly render them stuck.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My friends canceled San Antonio because it will supposedly be too overcast to see the eclipse?

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am on the path of totality (in 2017, I had to drive about a half hour south), so just going to travel to my front yard. I have my glasses and a filter for the camera. Hopefully, cloud cover will be minimal.

For those wanting pictures, another interesting thing is to get pictures of shadows, since during the portions of partial eclipse, there will be a crescent shape to the shadows.