Anyone Traveling to See the April 8, 2024 Solar Eclipse? Or staying home?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am on the path of totality (in 2017, I had to drive about a half hour south), so just going to travel to my front yard. I have my glasses and a filter for the camera. Hopefully, cloud cover will be minimal.

For those wanting pictures, another interesting thing is to get pictures of shadows, since during the portions of partial eclipse, there will be a crescent shape to the shadows.
That's a really good idea about the shadows. I'm excited to see if Mom's chickens go back to roost when it gets dark, people who have birds say they will. I'm sure they'll be really confused when it gets light an hour or so later!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No change in my routine. I'll be home, but getting ready for work.
I hear they're bracing for a huge mob to descend on them in Niagara Falls ON, and I'm sure in NY, too.
Niagara Falls has actually declared a state of emergency due to the masses of people they are expecting.

My co-worker said she will be going down to Niagara Falls (we are in Northern Ontario) with her husband who really wants to see it. She's not that interested, as she saw one when she was a kid, but will go to provide company.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone wanting to see the eclipse in my area are going to be really disappointed as we have significant cloud cover today. They say there might be sunny breaks this afternoon, but it's not looking too good right now.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone wanting to see the eclipse in my area are going to be really disappointed as we have significant cloud cover today. They say there might be sunny breaks this afternoon, but it's not looking too good right now.
Same here. Damn clouds blocking the sun. I have my camera all set to take pictures and they block my view.

I can always see the livestream but thats no different than just watching a video of a past one.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's clear in this part of Ohio. Columbus isn't going to quite get a total eclipse, it will be 99% which I have heard called the Ring of Fire.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The 'Great American Eclipse' is a total bust here. The cloud cover is so thick that the sun isn't even a blob in the sky. It looks like Michele got her wish. Ironically, yesterday the sky was perfectly clear.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is going crazy meowing and walking round and round the house. The entire day she was in the window looking outside in the neighbor's yard. Now it is round and round she goes. She definitely senses something is off. All the birds and squirrels have disappeared as well and there are usually loads of them. It peaks in half an hour.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went outside as is started to get dark. The back of my house is south. So looking east and west was bizarre to see a sunrise and sunset at the same time. I briefly saw the totality (and I do mean briefly) but it was too fast and even though you can take the glasses off at that time - I wasn't comfortable with it so I focused my energy on the duality of the sunrise and set.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We had some cloud cover but I was still able to see the moon traversing in front of the sun and then the totality without my cheapo eclipse glasses. It didn't get pitch black outside, just heavy twilight. I'm about 20 miles South of Cleveland and rewinding the TV to watch it there, the sky got very black and all the streetlights popped on.

It was worth it in my opinion as it was my 1st total eclipse and probably my last.

To answer the question posed, I stayed home and sat in a chair in my backyard.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
PXL_20240408_191248532.jpg

If you look very closely you can see the tiny moon in front of the sun. It got really dark and cold for a few minutes. The crazy thing was the horizon looked like sunrise, but in every direction. Awesome experience.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When it started getting light again the birds started singing like they do in the early morning hours. It was like very heavy twilight here also but some of the outside lights came on.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As soon as it reached totality, my cat's behavior calmed down. Now she is on my bed with her daughter, head upon head and sleeping away as a Cat Lullaby plays in the background.
Wow! are they sensitive!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We enjoyed it here. Of course we didn’t get the totality but it was dimmer out. My kids and I all felt a pressure change in our heads and ears. I thought i had read that wouldn’t happen. :dunno:

IMG_6630.jpeg
IMG_6632.jpeg
IMG_6633.jpeg
IMG_6640.jpeg
IMG_6644.jpeg
IMG_6651.jpeg

When we got towards our peak I couldn’t get as much zoom and still have a clear shot. I bought a filter thing for my phone camera.

DH either forgot or didn’t know where the glasses I bought were so he had to miss out.