Anyone Seen Poop Like This Before?

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
IMG_20180905_182032.jpg

Five days post neutering. He's been picky about food the past couple days, but he does eat. Playing, drinking, and peeing are all normal, but I'm worried he may have picked something up at the clinic.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Is he on any meds? I've not ever seen that although one time a feral left something somewhat similar in the yard - I of course have no idea what it ate or anything....
Can you send that photo in to your vet and ask them what they think?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat pooped like that when he had half diarrhea / half formed poop. Some of it comes out formed and then some squishy stuff comes out too. I found that the squishy stuff (mild diarrhea) was also lighter in color than the poop that was more formed. His poop was like this due to food allergies/IBD and not from an infection or parasite or anything like that. So if your cat is on any meds that "may cause diarrhea" (pain meds, antibiotics...), it could be that. If you can't think of any other reason that he may have softer stools though, I would bring him back in just to be sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He isn't on any medication, but he was on antibiotics up to the day before the neutering, which was this past Friday.

He ate a lot tonight! No bowel movements since, but I should note that this was the second day in a row for these orangey poops. They're brown and somewhat formed on the outside but fall apart when moved.

His sister, who was spayed at the same time, just had the same sort of poop this evening. It's the first time for her. I'm getting more convinced that they did catch something.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could a result of the anesthesia and meds on his system from the antibiotics. Keep an eye on it. You can try adding a bit of plain canned pumpkin puree to wet food to help firm up stools.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is he? I ask because it looks like either Giardia or Coccidia poop.
Does it smell? I mean horribly?

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My megacolon cat ALWAYS has :poop: that looks like that. Orange and smells horrible. He is on Miralax and an outside cat though.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be a bit of diarrhea from the IV fluids when he was neutered.. or just being in that environment..

I would call the Vet, in order to ease your mind. And to forewarn of any issues...

Antibiotics can affect the flora of the bowels.. probiotics, can help...

It could be a combo of both: the IV, and the antibiotics...

If his sister is having the same issues, Then I would Definitely contact the Vet..
Just to be sure...

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I give his sister pumpkin nearly every day, since she's had some constipation in the past. Ares will sometimes eat it too, but like I said, he's been picky about food recently.

The poop smells more than usual, but it's not awful. I thought of giardia and coccidia, especially since they went to the SPCA clinic on the same day as several other cats and could have picked it up, but don't those cause runny diarrhea? The consistency of these poops is only semi-soft.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my kittens got Giardia, it wasn't runny, just really soft and mushy.
However, since this showed up only 5 days from the neuter/spay, they would have had to have been exposed before the clinic. Both Giardia and Coccidia have a 14 day incubation before symptoms show.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think there's any way they could have been exposed, then, since they're fully indoor cats and have only been out of the house a few times to see the vet. We've had them since mid-June.

Last edited:

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Now Athena's poop is back to normal, but Ares' is still orange-ish. It's firmer than yesterday, though. We're taking Athena to the vet tomorrow because she's developed a lump (possibly a seroma) under her spay incision, so we can ask them about this issue then.