Anyone Have Experience With Lactulose?

AmandaL1417

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty has had multiple enemas since Wednesday in order to clear her out. It is due to a broken pelvis she got before we got her 2 months ago (we just found that out). She still has a small bit that hasn't come out yet, so our vet prescribed her lactulose. She's had 5 doses of 2mL (shes 9lbs) so far since yesterday morning, and still no stool. The piece is pretty far back. She is drinking and eating well and is very energetic. How much longer do you think it'll take to work?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience it should work within hours, less than a day.
Please keep in mind that in order for the lactulose to work, the cat must be very well hydrated, because lactulose calls fluids from the rest of the body to make stools softer. If what she drinks isn't enough, you might give her a small shot of hypodermo fluids.
Much depends on bowel movements too. If her intestine is "lazy" or slow, that stool still remaining might take a bit longer to be passed.

There are meds to help bowels move, but OF COURSE you have to ask your vet!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Not exactly answering your question, but related, since she will probably have issues her entire life after having had a broken pelvis, has your Vet discussed with you types of food to feed her in the future to prevent this issue again? Did they say she needs food with a higher fiber content, or a lower fiber content, or an all wet diet versus dry food, etc. I would think these things are important to discuss.

I know an all wet diet can help with chronic constipation, but in your furbaby's case, not sure if she would need more fiber or less. Some types of fiber bulk up the stool, and not sure if that would be helpful to her or not. Antonio65 Antonio65 is right though, there are certainly medications that can help the stool move along the passageway. I think they are motility drugs for the colon

Yodasmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When my cat has been cleaned out by the vet, it usually takes around 3 days before she has another bowel movement. And that is while being on Lactulose. You also ask about putting her on cisapride.