Anyone have experience with a cat with Kidney failure?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope she doesnt mind me posting this but this is what she told me basically, Moochie was still not eating on her own at all and so she took her to another vet. The vet told her that since Moochie wasn't responding very well to the sub-q's and still not eating etc. that her kidneys were probably more damaged than originally thought and that there wasn't much that could be done. She said she could try hospitalizing her again and putting her on an IV, but there was no guarantee it would work. And Jenny did not want to put Moochie through that again. She said her kidneys felt all funky and asked asked her if the other vet did any x-rays. She also said she appeared anemic and had a heart murmur, two things her other vet didn't mention.

So even though it was a very hard and sad decision, she knew it was time for Moochie to go. To keep her alive any longer would've been for her own selfish reasons, and she didn't want her to suffer and be miserable any longer and to keep being poked and prodded.

She says she miss her very, very, VERY much but she knows it was the absolute right thing to do.

RIP over the bridge Moochie

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG, I'm so sorry to read this, please give my condolences to Jenny.
I know how difficult it is to make that decision.
R.I.P. Moochie

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear of the loss. I was just reading through & I can understand the loss. I've been pretty lucky I have a 17 year old CRF kitty myself. My baby was diagnosed almost 2 years ago. Since then she takes a high blood pressure pill every day & has been on K/D, & I give sub-q fluids at home every other day. I don't remember what her levels were like at the time, but the vet told me the longest she would have would be about 2 years & I don't believe that she will live much longer since back in February her blood count was a little on the animic side. From everything I've read this signals the end stages of CRF.

dougbug

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i am so sorry sicy for your friend, please tell her i am thinking of her, this thread brought back some memories, my sister had a cat named tiny and he had Polyfiber cysits on his kidneys and by the time he showed signs of illness they had took one kidney and was on the other, she had to make that same decision, it is really tuff, but the most loving and unselfish thing she could of done for her kitty, i know she will miss him, we miss tiny, tell her to keep those good memories and keep her head up, sorry to hear this.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having to decide to let my crf girl go when she got worse was the toughest decision I've ever made.

I'm glad Jenny was strong enough to make that difficult but unselfish decision for Moochie.

Frolic in peace over the Rainbow Bridge and rest in the sun, sweet Moochie.