Anyone have a cat that has been on 100% Raw diet their whole life?

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would love to hear from anyone that has a cat or cats that has been on raw the entire cats life.   Minimal or no exposure to commercial food ever with the exception of commercial raw with no fruit/vegetable fillers - such as RadCat.

Thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

you want to dissect and measure gut length?
  No....that is so 1940s.    

I am sure the AVMA can hook us up with a practitioner of some minimally-invasive technique.   Might have to re-mortgage the house though. 

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, my two Siberian kitties.  Their parents were fed on commercial raw, and they were weaned onto that food.  I never intended to feed raw but it just kinda happened that way.  The breeder said she introduced them to dry food and I was going to feed them raw to start, then give them some dry.  Then I found that my older kitty absolutely refused dry food!  He'd take the bits out of his food dish and put them on the floor.  At the same time, I discovered the joys of raw fed poop.  A bit of Internet reading and I was convinced.

Many people have commented that my kitties are the sweetest they've ever seen.  They also have unbelievably silky coats and never have problems with constipation, vomiting, hairballs etc.  (except when I introduced them to chunks that they tried to swallow whole...silly kitties).   Still, they haven't avoided all issues.  One cat is a little ball of energy, the other is so lazy and slow that at 16 months he has earned the nickname "Grandpa", and has managed to put on a bit too much weight.   Love him though, he has such a calm, sweet energy.  He also has a bit of gingivitis, a bit concerning at his young age.   But it will be interesting to see how they do as time goes on.

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Yes, my two Siberian kitties.  Their parents were fed on commercial raw, and they were weaned onto that food.  I never intended to feed raw but it just kinda happened that way.  The breeder said she introduced them to dry food and I was going to feed them raw to start, then give them some dry.  Then I found that my older kitty absolutely refused dry food!  He'd take the bits out of his food dish and put them on the floor.  At the same time, I discovered the joys of raw fed poop.  A bit of Internet reading and I was convinced.
That sounds like one smart kitty.   Ah yes, the joys of raw fed poop.   The input is icky but the output is lovely.   Just the opposite of dry food. 

harrylime

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My baby Tamago has been on raw her whole life, her breeder feeds it to their cats, and now I feed it.

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Exquisite.  Alnutrin with egg shells or bone?   Anything else you add like omega-3?

harrylime

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The ground already has bone so just regular Alnutrin. Right before serving I had half a scoop of lysine powder and one squirt of salmon oil.

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Many people have commented that my kitties are the sweetest they've ever seen.  They also have unbelievably silky coats and never have problems with constipation, vomiting, hairballs etc.  (except when I introduced them to chunks that they tried to swallow whole...silly kitties).   Still, they haven't avoided all issues.  One cat is a little ball of energy, the other is so lazy and slow that at 16 months he has earned the nickname "Grandpa", and has managed to put on a bit too much weight.   Love him though, he has such a calm, sweet energy.  He also has a bit of gingivitis, a bit concerning at his young age.   But it will be interesting to see how they do as time goes on.
Gingivitis is strange at that age.  Are you sure his gums bleed?  

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They don't bleed, it's just some redness at the gum line.  I do brush my cat's teeth but got lazy about that lately, slacked off to maybe once a week.  The breeder highly recommended Petzlife oral care gel, so I ordered the salmon flavor.  I'd tried the peppermint spray but my cats made it clear that any attempts to use it would be construed as Extreme Cat Torture.   Anyway, after a week of the daily brushing with CET toothpaste and using the spray, even though there were times I thought Charlie hated the very sight of me, today he has been jumping and playing with more energy than I've seen in a long time!  The redness isn't gone but it's better.  It might have been mild gingivitis but it must have been bothering him a lot.  Poor baby!

Does anyone else use Petzlife?

11201ny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two Cornish Rex's have eaten raw their entire little lives. It's a constant battle.

Last edited:

11201ny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are just very finicky ladies. They will walk away from their food 25% of the time.

Last edited:

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What type of 
Felines Pride (commercial).
Is that a brand sold in regular pet food shops?   The reason I ask is that I was at a local PetValue store in my area and was looking at some of the frozen Natures Variety raw food bags and noticed that they were past the expiration date.   Not sure if that is your issue but older food could be less appealing to cats.

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine has been on homemade food since being weaned. I tried giving him commercial canned a couple of times, but it gave him loose stools, so I didn't repeat the experiment.

11201ny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

What type of 

Is that a brand sold in regular pet food shops?   The reason I ask is that I was at a local PetValue store in my area and was looking at some of the frozen Natures Variety raw food bags and noticed that they were past the expiration date.   Not sure if that is your issue but older food could be less appealing to cats.
Thanks, not the issue though. The food is special ordered.