Anyone else only have one?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently have 3 kitties, but it wasn't always this way.

Until 1998 I always had 1 kitty.  But that year I changed to 12 hour shifts and when you work 12 hour shifts you pretty much sleep and work for those days.  I also figured that my kitty would be lonely and I wanted her to have some living company, so I brought Abby to live with us.

When Chynna went to the RB a few years ago, about 6 months later I started to have kitty pangs. I have so much love in my heart for kitties, and so many need homes.  I ended up adopting 2 kittens from my Vet's office. There are some things that need to come in pairs, and kittens are one of those.  Abby is older and I knew a kitten would probably annoy her, so I adopted Spencer and Katie, litter mates.

I also had another reason for getting 2.  Abby is getting on in years, she will be 16 in June and as much as it saddens me, I know she won't be with me forever.  And at some point down the road  I don't want to have to try and introduce another cat into the household again. Spencer and Katie grew up together, they get along.

rainbow22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks I do think he seems content. I have had him neutered and chipped and he has regular visits to the vets for injections etc. unfortunately he won't wear a collar but I am training him not to come near the door when I go in/out.

My son is on his gap year and has spent the past four months away. He is back at the end of April so he will be around on and off until September so will also be company. I hope Smudge doesn't feel unsettled by his coming and going as we are in a routine now.

I have a colleague at work who has an indoor cat. His wife also works and they seem to have a good social life. Their cat seems very happy.

muramcon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Amelia was my only child for a few months. Then hubby and I went out with the intention of getting one more older cat, and came home with two 4 month old kittens! I think Amelia would prefer her only cat status, but she tolerates the boys now. I think lots of cats are happy as singles. For hubby and I, cats are like potato chips, we can't stop! But 4 will be our limit IF we decide Amelia could handle another

chestersmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Being new to caring for cats, I started with one. I drill only have one, and would like to add another, but it's not high on the priority list. Jed had lived with other cats before, so he should be okay, although you never know. Right now I don't have the right environment for another cat yet, and I'd like to wait till Jed is more trusting before I get another. No rush.
This is my first cat ever. 3 weeks in with dogs who've never been around cats and tended to chase them when seen outside....guess who owns this house now? Hint...not either dog! Poor Roscoe got a little boo boo on his nose from trying to play with. Chester when he was feeling frisky. After that, the dogs wouldn't go near the ottoman (their only furniture their allowed to lounge on) for a few days if Chester was on it. But now....

1 big happy family.

I was worried about the food bowl thing too. Kaia tends to guard hers, but she's been very relaxed with Chester. He tends to drink their water more than anything. Maybe it's just more convenient there on the floor, where his is on a table with his food.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Due to my allergies, I only have one. I think when she was younger she would have liked a playmate, but now she seems content. :)

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Due to my allergies, I only have one. I think when she was younger she would have liked a playmate, but now she seems content. :)
Always amazes me at how big a heart sine of you have. Allergies and what do you do? You take in your very source of allergy and give them a home.

Salut.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Always amazes me at how big a heart sine of you have. Allergies and what do you do? You take in your very source of allergy and give them a home.

Salut.
I'd be lost without a cat in my life. It's amazing how much nine little pounds can enrich your whole world. :nod:

anakin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have one cat and willing to get a second one, but it depends how much time you spend with your cat and whether it likes to be around other pets... personally I hate leaving my cat alone at home.

kordron

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I also have just one six month old kitten and am a little concerned about how much time he is on his own.

I work full time although only 5 mins from home so I come back at lunchtime to play. He has several beds at differing heights, lots of toys and views of the garden from the conservatory.

He seems happy and when I'm home he likes to spend time with me although petting is really only 'allowed' by him at meal times [emoji]128512[/emoji].

My concern is that I'm often ready for bed by 9-9.30 and whilst I do try to stay up sometimes I'm just too tired. At night he is confined to the dining room and conservatory so it's a lot of time on his own.

I rarely go out in the evening, maybe once or twice a month and I'm around a lot at the weekend.

I was considering letting him out but for safety reasons I can't, neither can I afford another cat.

I really want to get this right.
I just got Lily about 6 weeks ago and I completely know what you're talking about. I work shift work so sometimes I'm home late and only up an hour before bed because it's really late. All we can do is make sure they're fed, have a clean litter box and toys to play with.

I leave one light on all day with a 40 watt bulb inside so she doesn't feel like it's dark all the time. I also leave the TV on the weather channel so there's a little noise in the room for her to feel not so alone. When I come home we have a little playtime before bed (she LOVES the wand I got from the dollar store)

I don't know how to explain it but somehow we seem to know that despite the anguish we feel over our work schedules that they love us. I know Lily loves me because on the first day she hide in her cat little box all day and on the second day she hid under the couch all day, this went on for about two weeks but now she meows at me, demands food when she is hungry and leans into my pets when I touch her.

ivanthesiberian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have just one cat.  Due to allergies, we chose the Siberian breed, and they are not cheap, so it will likely stay just one cat. But being a stay at home mom of 4 kids and 2 dogs, there is a lot of noise, activity and people, so this cat will NEVER get bored!  He is so relaxed and easy-going, despite our busy household, we really lucked out with his personality.

chestersmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd be lost without a cat in my life. It's amazing how much nine little pounds can enrich your whole world. :nod:
I was JUST thinking this! I've always had dogs. Never cared to have a cat until I got one. Now I have to be careful not to show the cat too much love that the dogs get jealous. He's just so cute! Such a little snuggle bug!!!

I'm absolutely enamored.

dragonheart

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Connor was an only cat. He did not like other cats, though he tolerated them when he had to at the shelter.

Honestly I'm fine with only having one cat. Because I only had him I could focus all of my attention and resources on him, especially with all of his medical issues. I have lived most of my life in multi-cat households but now that I'm on my own, I really just don't feel inclined to get more than one. Sure, it makes me feel bad that I can only help one at a time but on the other hand, there are plenty of cats out there who don't want the companionship of anyone but a human anyway so I figure it works out.

It probably helps that I've taken to adopting older cats who don't necessarily need or even want all the fuss and bother of a playmate.

lucentstreak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hugo was found by himself and even when he was fostered, he was alone. I'm with the above that I would rather have one cat where I can focus all my attention and resources on just one fella. Some times I do wonder if I should get him a playmate but he seems fine with it. He has a cat tree that overlooks the streets outside and lots of toys to keep him going.

fetchingmilkcap

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I also have only one baby, chiefly because I am a grad student living with a roommate and at the moment can only afford one kitty... I always worry about him feeling lonely, although the mixed blessing of my job is that I mostly work from home, and so my cat only spends a few hours alone. He spends most of his time in my arms/lap, playing, and talking to me. I've never had a single cat before - what signals should I watch out for that would tell me he feels lonely or neglected?

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I've never had a single cat before - what signals should I watch out for that would tell me he feels lonely or neglected?
This would manifest as behavioral problems - problem scratching, excessive meowing, sometimes even inappropriate elimination for really insecure cats. As long as you provide plenty of toys, play with him every day, pet him (even 10 minutes a day of human touch does wonders), talk to him, and overall pay attention to him, he can be very happy. You can also look into clicker training -- it doesn't take up much time, again, 10 minutes a day makes a difference. Clicker training stimulates their minds and energy and helps you bond with your cat.

Last edited:

fetchingmilkcap

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! None of these seem to be occurring, although my baby does meow/vocalize/talk quite a bit. I was worried because he doesn't like being by himself - when he was younger I've heard him howl when I would leave to go teach a two hours class, and it was heart-breaking; I have seen him gather all his toys and bring them over to receive comfort when my roommate left for the weekend etc, and meows quite explicitly his disapproval when I come back after being away for a few hours, even if he's with my roommate, so I don't know if that means he feels really lonely, or just that he misses me. 

Strangely enough, he just seems to love people. He is totally happy being picked up and handled by strangers, as long as there aren't 15 of them in the apartment. I'm glad to hear that talking to my cat is actually a good thing eh eh! Otherwise, he's probably the most kissed/snuggled cat there ever was, I play with him for at least 30 minutes 3 times per day, and he gets double playtime when my boyfriend visits because they chase each other around the house and behind the corners... We meow to my cat a lot.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats are just talkative. 

As for the meowing when you are gone, you can desensitize him to your leaving. Dress up, grab your keys, do whatever you do when you go out. On your way out the door, talk to him, but don't linger. Just something short like, "I'm heading out, be good, okay?" will do. Close the door behind you, then stay outside for 5 minutes. Come back in through the door, take off your shoes, do whatever you do when you come back home, then greet him. Toss a treat for him, or play with him.

Repeat this every day or every other day, but gradually increase the time you stay outside. You are teaching him to understand that when you leave, you WILL come home, and he has nothing to worry about. In fact, now he has something to look forward to: treat or play, depending on which one he prefers. 

artem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I only have the one at the moment, chiefly because I don't really have the space to separate two feuding cats.  I know most cats work it out in time, particularly when introduced at around Hunter's age, but as I'd have no choice but to rehome one if they couldn't get along, any non-neglible risk is too high for me.  I am keeping an eye out for any behavioral issues but *knock on wood* Hunter actually seems pretty happy as a single.  I think he likes being the center of attention and I'm honestly not sure how he'd feel about another pet at this point.  It might be "Yay, friend!" or "What is this thing and when can we give it back?"  I suspect a super high energy kitten would annoy him, as naps are sacred events to be honored and respected and window gazing is his sacred duty to the powers that be and not to be interrupted, death, plague or hellfire be damned.

I imagine I'll probably get a second pet at some point in Hunter's life, as 20 years is a long time, but not until I have enough space to allow both pets their privacy and preferably not until I have a second pair of hands to help me out, as it would pretty hard for me to lavish the same amount of love and attention on two animals and still have a life outside of my pets.  I did do my research, so I went into this saying, "I know single kittens can be a problem and if I have to revisit this, I will, but let's leave a second pet as the nuclear option."  After having had Hunter for a little over a month, I don't see why I'd even consider it.  As far as I can tell, he's very happy, has no major behavioral problems (outside of the usual kitten play-aggression, but it's pretty mild and he's never even broken the skin) and there's just no real reason he needs a buddy.

I do think it's fully possible to have a healthy and happy multi-cat home, but I grew up in a single-pet home and am not looking to take the leap yet, for personal reasons as well as the practical.  I know my own limitations and, if there was a second kitten, we'd inevitably have a pretty different relationship.  Better, worse, who's to say?  But it's hard to imagine a more fulfilling human-animal bond than the one we now share.  :)  I suspect most multi-cat owners feel the same way about their own pets and they certainly outnumber us one-cat owners on sites like these, hence the many posts promoting multi-cat-dom.  I certainly don't begrudge them their enthusiasm, and think it's great that people are happy enough with their pet situation to try and help others find the same joy, but I'd bet there are more happy singletons than cat sites suggest.  I imagine most cats can adapt to and learn to be happy either with or without feline companions, excepting a few on either extreme of the sociality spectrum.  That said, I think anyone looking for a single kitten should not accept a kitten under 10 or 12-weeks, as kittens do need time to learn from other members of their own species, and I understand why many rescues refuse to adopt out single kittens.  Raising a singlet is definitely more work and may be too much for people expecting a low-maintenance pet, but coming from a dog background, I'm used to much worse.  IMO, it takes the right kitten and the right owner, but we're making it work.  If I were a rescuer, I might be one of those people who focuses on those cases where single kitten rehoming was miserable failure and refuse to accept the risk, but as an owner, knowing my own situation and limitations, I figured there was a good chance I'd be fine with the right kitten.  (And yes, I looked into getting an adult cat from a shelter first but a member of my immediate family, to whom I am very close and who visits me frequently, has had a few bad experiences with shelter pets  and asked me if I would be willing to go through a breeder instead.  There were more discussions, both within my family and with a vet friend, before a decision was reached, but the long and short of it was I agreed, as I have no moral objection to breeders like the one I went through, I don't want any members of my family to feel uncomfortable in my home and I want to make sure there are multiple people willing to take Hunter in if something unexpected happens to me.  Said family member is one of them, as her pets are all actually very well-cared for.  She doesn't care much about animals in general, but as soon as it's her animal...There are worse traits to have in a back-up owner and I have no doubt Hunter would have a long and happy life in her care.)

fetchingmilkcap

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Some cats are just talkative. 

As for the meowing when you are gone, you can desensitize him to your leaving. Dress up, grab your keys, do whatever you do when you go out. On your way out the door, talk to him, but don't linger. Just something short like, "I'm heading out, be good, okay?" will do. Close the door behind you, then stay outside for 5 minutes. Come back in through the door, take off your shoes, do whatever you do when you come back home, then greet him. Toss a treat for him, or play with him.

Repeat this every day or every other day, but gradually increase the time you stay outside. You are teaching him to understand that when you leave, you WILL come home, and he has nothing to worry about. In fact, now he has something to look forward to: treat or play, depending on which one he prefers. 
That's a great idea, thanks! He usually likes to... help when my preparations by looking very sad when I dress up. He used to jump on my head (how high my cat can jump is a whole different can of worms) as soon as he saw me putting make up on, and to drop from the shelf a big box with all my stockings, but he seems to have stopped trying to delay my departure that way.

catmum22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Trinity was an only cat for a long time and loved it she is always need my cuddly cat and wants to right there she has lots of toys but because I wasn't home much I got a second cat because I didn't want trinity to lose her playfulness introducing them was hard I was very stressed and maple didn't take well I didn't introduce them the proper gradual way but things are better now it took about a month they just had to fight over who's boss, maple won but they are good now and play together maple sometimes gets a bit rough with trinity but all is good and I feel a lot better when I do go out knowing they don't get lonely and having plenty of toys helps, but it depends on your lifestyle and whether your cat is getting bored or lonely me pesonally felt trinity probably liked it more by herself because now when a phone chord gets chewed and there banned from my room it includes trinity cause I can never be sure who really did it but as I say based on the cat and you either way I think a happy cat is a cat with all it needs met and someone to give them lots of love