Anyone else have a serial seat-stealer?

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just this afternoon, we had this interaction...

I was playing video games on my Nintendo Switch (for which the living room chair is the only place to sit where the controller has enough wireless range).

I got up for about 10 minutes, came back, and Willy was quite relaxed on my chair. Not asleep, but eyes half-closed.

Me: "You're in my seat."

Willy: "Mmmrrr."

Me: "Are you going to move?"

Willy: (less enthusiastically) "Mmm."

After which, he shut his eyes completely.
This sounds like us with Gabby except she does whole meows. Lol we love having conversations where she "talks" back in response to what we are saying. It is the cutest thing.
I kind of wish it was the little (*mmmeh) sounds though because they are adorable!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I kind of wish it was the little (*mmmeh) sounds though because they are adorable!
He has done that his whole life, since I took him in around age 1. He talks all the time, usually trills and chirrups. I can tell what different ones mean at this point.

The only time he meows is when he REALLY wants something. And he gets that way mostly around food. Before I took him in, he was a stray who was not doing well outside, and experienced starvation. I think that's why he's always been a little food-crazy.

Otherwise, it's all trills, chirrups, sometimes what I can only describe as "abbreviated meows." Like he opens his mouth as if to meow, but just goes "Meh" and the abruptly closes his mouth. That one's new as of about a year ago. I can tell it's when he just wants me to look in his direction.

It's been just me and Willy in our bachelor pad for several years, so we have full-on conversations at this point.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She only does full-on squawks when she's announcing she is about to use the litter, or has just done so.
That's funny... Willy actually makes announcements before using the litter box, too (but only for #2s). He gets a little zoomy just before, as well.

He doesn't say anything after using the box, but he does bolt out of it at full speed, scattering litter everywhere.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has done that his whole life, since I took him in around age 1. He talks all the time, usually trills and chirrups. I can tell what different ones mean at this point.

The only time he meows is when he REALLY wants something. And he gets that way mostly around food. Before I took him in, he was a stray who was not doing well outside, and experienced starvation. I think that's why he's always been a little food-crazy.

Otherwise, it's all trills, chirrups, sometimes what I can only describe as "abbreviated meows." Like he opens his mouth as if to meow, but just goes "Meh" and the abruptly closes his mouth. That one's new as of about a year ago. I can tell it's when he just wants me to look in his direction.

It's been just me and Willy in our bachelor pad for several years, so we have full-on conversations at this point.
I love hearing that other people's cat talks to them.
Yea with Gabby I can tell what she wants too it's crazy and for people that don't have that experience it's hard to explain.
She will trill/chirp-meow if she wants the door open it is a meow. If she is wanting a bird it's just chirps lol.
If she is about to go potty she tells me (even at night if she goes she will come meow in my face to tell me lol she will go potty then tell me when she is done)
If she wants us to follow her she comes over trill-meow all of them mean something different and I LOVE IT!!!!! ❤ ❤ I have never had this experience with another kitty and I feel so blessed that I do with her! I am so happy that you have that experience with Willy. I am so happy he found you. You really turned his life around and I guarantee he completed yours.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You really turned his life around and I guarantee he completed yours.
He definitely did.

I also swear that he can read my emotions and sometimes reacts to them. He's been with me for 9 years, including through some tough times like a death in the family, and some depression and other mental health issues. Not to mention isolation during COVID years (I was at higher-than-average risk).

Whenever I'm feeling particularly down, he does this thing where he gets on eye level with me, slowly moves in close so his face is right near mine, and softly makes what I can only describe as an "inquisitive" trill. It sounds like, "Mmmmm?" with a raise in pitch near the end. It only lasts a second, but he will repeat it several times.

I don't want to anthropomorphize him too much, as I can't know what's going on in his brain, but I can tell that he can tell something is off. He may be experiencing confusion, or having some other reaction... he never makes that sound in any other circumstance.

Regardless of what is happening in his feline mind during those moments, it always makes me feel a little better. Knowing that he's there, and paying attention, and it always leads to pets or playtime which are activities that lift up both cat's and human's moods.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's funny... Willy actually makes announcements before using the litter box, too (but only for #2s). He gets a little zoomy just before, as well.

He doesn't say anything after using the box, but he does bolt out of it at full speed, scattering litter everywhere.
Phoebe does major zoomies before and after! She's also a champion scatterer of litter. I find it everywhere - in her water bowl, in my bed ...

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's also a champion scatterer of litter. I find it everywhere - in her water bowl, in my bed ...
I find it on my chair and couch often... the very same seats that Willy steals from me.

Sometimes after he comes flying out of the litter box, he jumps right on the furniture to claim a spot. I much prefer when he grooms himself first, which is about only half the time.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find it on my chair and couch often... the very same seats that Willy steals from me.

Sometimes after he comes flying out of the litter box, he jumps right on the furniture to claim a spot. I much prefer when he grooms himself first, which is about only half the time.
Funny, I seldom find it on the chairs, though Phoebe likes to be out there in the evening, sitting on Mum's lap while we watch telly. I mostly find it in my bed, though she spends less time on there. Maybe Daisy's spreading some too!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Austin has been known to throw me out of my chair. You may not be able to see him because it's dark in the corner, but I was sitting in the recliner with my feet up on the ottoman. He jumped from the bookcase onto me, then started trying to burrow in behind me as he sometimes does. I got up, and he got comfy. He's at the back of the chair behind the dining room chair that is in the window for them to look out.

1692049327614.png

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Austin has been known to throw me out of my chair. You may not be able to see him because it's dark in the corner, but I was sitting in the recliner with my feet up on the ottoman. He jumped from the bookcase onto me, then started trying to burrow in behind me as he sometimes does. I got up, and he got comfy. He's at the back of the chair behind the dining room chair that is in the window for them to look out.

View attachment 457129
Neko-chan does this too! My husband tells her she's not a badger.