Any Updates On An Old Topic? Steam Cleaning A Cat Tree

linda_of_pgff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I am a long-absent forum member, glad to be back. We were gifted a cat tree a while ago, which had been used by a previous owner's cats. I have a very old model Shark steam cleaner, that I was thinking of using to thoroughly clean and disinfect the tree before we let our family at it. But I am not sure what nozzle to use or how to proceed, exactly. If you know how a floor model steam cleaner could work for this, please reply! I've only ever used the big rectangular floor attachment for floors, and the very fine directed-steam nozzle, for grout and corners and so on. I guess they would work for the platforms and the joints, but not sure what to do to clean cylindrical portions?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not familiar with the Shark, but Kārcher steam cleaners, so this might not be of any help. I steamclean all parts of a cat tree - including the upright, sisal-covered posts - without an attachment, in other words, just using the hose and "spraying" from the side. Then everything is left to air dry.

Starznight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rather than steam cleaning it, I would suggest spraying it well with hydrogen peroxide wait about 5-10 minutes and hosing it off and let the whole thing dry outside in the sun. Would be the best way to disinfect it and refresh it, if still thinking it might need a bit more tlc vacuum it when dry to get out any stray cat hairs.