Any tips on getting a kitten to eat kitten food?

koni

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 5, 5 week old kittens. 4 of them have figured out how to eat the kitten food in the last week or so....(I had them get the hang of it by putting a mushy piece in their mouth) It didn't take long before they got the hang of it. Problem is, the one refuses to eat the food, she spits it out....I've tried playing with some of the pieces with her, she'll get it in her mouth that way, but then spits it right out. Will she eventually learn on her own? Or does anyone have any tips?

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS.

At 5 weeks, they are only just beginning to learn about solids. Give her a little more time and she'll get the hang of it soon.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Koni

I have 5, 5 week old kittens. 4 of them have figured out how to eat the kitten food in the last week or so....(I had them get the hang of it by putting a mushy piece in their mouth) It didn't take long before they got the hang of it. Problem is, the one refuses to eat the food, she spits it out....I've tried playing with some of the pieces with her, she'll get it in her mouth that way, but then spits it right out. Will she eventually learn on her own? Or does anyone have any tips?
Koni...I would go to this site which has a lot of great advice:

http://www.kitten-rescue.com/four_to_five_weeks.html

Katie

catsrus1999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kumbulu

Hi and welcome to TCS.

At 5 weeks, they are only just beginning to learn about solids. Give her a little more time and she'll get the hang of it soon.
I would just add caution to the "little more time". While I totally agree that some are more adept at learning than others, babies can also dehydrate and starve VERY quickly...even within 24 hours.

Forcefeeding while they learn is something that has helped me the few times I had grumpers. I also have resorted to placing them nearby other kittens that do eat so they could learn by imitation.

Boiled chicken, ground up small, is often irresistable to kittens. Once you have them hooked on that, blend it into some wet food, sprinkle some on top and try to move them over. I have a 10 week old who still won't eat wet, let alone dry, we are working with this method with some success.

CatsRus (sorry, my username was taken here Katie!)

pondwader

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I wean kittens I use a quality canned kitten food, a quality kitten kibble, some rice pablum, and boiling water. I soak all the food and mash it to a pasty consistency for the first few days and gradually thicken it up and remove everything but the kibble and water. Then gradually reduce the water until they are able to eat only kibble. It has worked well for me. You may be able to get that one kitten to eat better if it is mashed and warm.
Good luck!

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
CatsRUs1999, with regard to your caution. If a kitten is 5 weeks old and not eating solids yet, I would assume that she will either still be having a bottle or still nursing on her Mum, in which case there is no danger of dehydration. I'm not sure that I agree with force-feeding either.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My six week old baby can't resist chicken! Cooked chicken that has been chopped with a knife into very small pieces - You can make it mushy by adding a little kitten formula or milk. But I wouldn't worry too much - It can sometimes take babies a little longer to get the hang of solid food, as long as she is still getting milk from her Mum or a bottle then just keep trying!!

Good luck!

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume the kitten is still either nursing or being bottle fed. Either way, nutrition needs are being met so that is covered.

Most kittens start solid food between 4 and 5 weeks but some don't start until 6 weeks and are still perfectly normal. I would not force the issue for another week at this point. If you are bottle feeding, you might try mixing some plain chicken baby food or smooth textured canned food (A/D is good for this purpose) in with the formula so he gets used to the taste of meat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

koni

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alright, thanks for the tips guys

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Koni

If they are that young they are not used to solids. What kinf of food are you feeding them? Is it wet or dry food? What brand is it? I would suggest(if you havent already done so) mix some dry food with alittle canned food and a very small amount of hot water to make the dry food softer kittens seem to not be able to resist this concoction in my past experiences GOOD LUCK!!!!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had some still on the bottle at 7 weeks- they go off the mom, or the bottle when they are ready. I would not agree to forcefeeding a small kitten just to get him on solids. Nature is evolving the system and sometimes, you just have to be patient. Most people who rush the kittens off the mom do so because they want to adopt out the kittens. Mine don't leave here till they are 12 weeks old, regardless. Less problems with them that way, they have full social manners, know about the litterpan are drinking water and eating solids-