Any suggestions for something to calm kitty for vet visit?

taima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of some kind of mild sedative or something that I could give my kitty when going to vet to help prevent him from becoming so upset? I don't like really like to give him anything as he seems to always have side affects for medicines that he's been given. Anything that you've used that's worked well?

Sorry I forgot to put this in my other post and then wasn't able to edit the title and so thought it would be missed by someone who may have a suggestion.

Thanks!

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could try applying Feliway spray to the inside of the carrier at least half an hour before departing for the vet's. It tends to have a calming effect on most cats, and is completely safe --- no side effects or anything like that.

spookzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with both the above posts. I put a little Rescue Remedy on my finger tips and rub the inside of their ears with it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rescue remedy is what I use ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the replies! I do actually use the feliway spray in his carrier but that hasn't seemed to really help.

Rescue Remedy was one I was thinking of trying. Those that have used it - have you used it with a kitty that gets really upset when going to the vet? Did it really help? Do you know if it's something that's ok to give if it ends up not working and they have to give a sedative - as in could it cause a bad reaction? Is it ok to use if it is necessary for the vet to know if they are feeling pain - will they be less likely to show pain if they have taken it?

They didn't have any at Petsmart. They had something called "Calm Down". Has anyone ever tried that? http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752871

He used to do so good - was always scared but let them do whatever without resisting. I think he had a bad experience and now gets terrified. He's always been shy and is a big lovebug at home. I wish there was something I could do to help take him back to when he didn't get so upset when there.

Thanks! I really appreciate it!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
rr does help ... havent used the other mostly since I could not figure out what the ingrediants were ( ie they are listed in scientific herbal