Any speculation on what breeds my cat resembles most?

crazycatlass

Professional Cat Furniture
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm totally sure Skidd's a mix--or as we affectionately call our moggies, a "mutt"--but he's got a lot of characteristics I've never personally seen in any other cats, specifically his coloring and short legs. We've always had mutts--rescues, in fact. We frequently get comments from others about never seeing a cat with eyes like his and fur as red as his. Some have even suggested that the bright copper orange eyes might be breed-related, claiming that mixes don't have such vivid iris coloration. Honestly, I'm curious if those folks may have a point, if his eyes specifically might indicate he has an inkling of some specific breed. No matter what, he's our mutt, and we love him to death, and this is just for fun. :)

Skidd's fur is in a mantle pattern--red tabby on white. Most of his red is a bright rusty color, with stripes halfway between 'clay' and burnt orange. It started out just a bland ginger as a kitten, but brightened and intensified as he matured; it tends to wash out in photos for some reason, regardless of camera settings and lighting. His eyes started out sort of murky grey as a kitten, but have become the most vivid copper orange I've ever seen on a cat; they, too, tend to wash out a little in photos. They're always heavily dilated even in conditions that should have the pupils narrowed, almost to the point of looking round. Skidd has always seemed to have short, stubby legs, but not short and stubby enough to be Munchkin. He's very vocal and clingy, and took to the leash easily.

Some photos of him as a kitten:

Check out those gorgeous grey eyes!

This one was taken while he was still technically a kitten--his eyes hadn't fully changed yet, but they've begun turning copper. FYI, he was still sick, had been CONED to keep him from chewing on himself, and was giving me a serious 'betrayal' glare. His eyes are normally much more dilated than this, even in bright light.

...and a few as an adult:

Even this one doesn't accurately capture the color of his fur; it always washes out in photos. It's VERY RED.

View media item 332227
You can KINDA see his eye color in this one, even though it also washes out. Skidd and Goldie have watched too many vampire movies. -_-*

These two are current, but not very good--they kinda show his build, to an extent. His legs still look pretty stubby, but they may be normal--maybe Goldie's just got long legs??? Either way, he's got kind of a boxy, low build, and ridiculously thick fur for a short hair; he's the worst shedder I've ever encountered, and I usually brush fists of hair off of him every week. He's also become rather sausage-shaped from over-eating and under-exercising. :/

So...any thoughts? Might this pretty boy be part something, or is he just gorgeous? ;)

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know anything about breeds but as a lover of ginger tabbies, I wanted to comment on how beautiful Skidd is.  Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along soon but if I had to guess, I'd say he's a domestic short haired red (orange or ginger) tabby with white.  . Skidd is such a beautiful shade of red in the photos - if that's washed out, his color must be brilliant in "person."   The combination with copper eyes is really striking.  My ginger tabby Milo had eyes that matched his coat color in some lights, but they were not a clear copper color like Skidd's.  

Welcome to TCS, btw.  
  I see this is your first post.  I hope we see lots more about Skidd and Goldie in the future.  Goldie is quite the looker herself, even in vampire mode. 

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
View media item 332227
You can KINDA see his eye color in this one, even though it also washes out. Skidd and Goldie have watched too many vampire movies. -_-*

So...any thoughts? Might this pretty boy be part something, or is he just gorgeous? ;)
I love that photo! It would be a great one for our Caption This forum. :)

As he has no papers and is a moggie, then he's not "a breed" of cat, but those gorgeous eyes and intense colouring sure make you wonder what's in his ancestry. Lovely little cat family you have there.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Even this one doesn't accurately capture the color of his fur; it always washes out in photos. It's VERY RED.

These two are current, but not very good--they kinda show his build, to an extent. His legs still look pretty stubby, but they may be normal--maybe Goldie's just got long legs??? Either way, he's got kind of a boxy, low build, and ridiculously thick fur for a short hair; he's the worst shedder I've ever encountered, and I usually brush fists of hair off of him every week. He's also become rather sausage-shaped from over-eating and under-exercising. :/

On this photo we can clearly see spots.  I suspect genetically he is broken mackerel, but there are enough with spots visible to count him as a spotted tabby.

As he wont be used for breeding, being a domestic, its no big deal with deciding exactly what sort of tabby he is.  Its just to enjoy the situation.  But  For a stud it would be important.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazycatlass

Professional Cat Furniture
Young Cat
Purraise
MargD-- Thanks! We're very proud of him, I'm sure you can tell. ;) I wish I could accurately capture how bright red his coat is--he's the 'ultimate ginger,' as we tend to call him. I've never seen natural red hair so bright in cats OR people! Goldie's a pretty gal herself, you're very right. She's also got better manners...but that's another story. I tell ya, these two are such a hoot. 

pushyady-- Thanks! They're certainly worth every bit of drama, lol. Like I said, I'm definitely sure Skidd's not a straight breed of anything, other than mutt. Kinda wondered what might be in his ancestry, though...the shelter we adopted him from had several cats that I would have SWORN were at least half or more something specific. One was definitely, DEFINITELY a Russian Blue--his eyes were even brighter than Skidd's, and his coat was gorgeous!--but I didn't check for papers. Saw this little guy in a cage nearby and completely lost my heart right then and there. <3

StephanZ-- He certainly won't be for breeding--ALL my cats have been altered ASAP, or previous to adoption. There are way too many pets without homes to justify carelessness. Also, yeah, it's not important to know--speculation is just for fun. :)

Skidd's reaction to all this attention he's getting:

You're giving him a big head, lol.

putley07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can anyone help in telling me what breed my kitty is, she is a 5 yr old girl, very loving but can be temperamental at times, I found her abandoned outside when she was a few months old so I don't have a clue what breed she Is

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is probably a medium-haired domestic.  Nothing particular with it, the big majority of cats are domestics.

But the color baffles me.    What is the color of her eyes?  Would you say, the tail and ears are darker than the body as such?

Last edited by a moderator:

putley07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is probably a medium-haired domestic.  Nothing particular with it, the big majority of cats are domestics.

But the color baffles me.    What is the color of her eyes?  Would you say, the tail and ears are darker than the body as such?
Her eyes are green and yes he's tail and ears are darker than her body

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Her eyes are green and yes he's tail and ears are darker than her body
Green??  If you wrote blue, the diagnosis would be quick and sure: she is a point, a tabby point.

But with green - she may still be point, but  this isnt common points have green eyes.

Do you have more good pics?  It may help us to come deeper into her nature.

putley07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Green??  If you wrote blue, the diagnosis would be quick and sure: she is a point, a tabby point.

But with green - she may still be point, but  this isnt common points have green eyes.

Do you have more good pics?  It may help us to come deeper into her nature.
Here are a few