Any Other Ideas On How To Keep Cats Off Fish Tank?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I have a 75g reef tank. Monet loves to lay on the light fixture because it gives off heat. However with his constant jumping, he's breaking the legs of my fixture. He can and will break it, and last thing I want is to find everything in my tank and all my fish and corals dead. I cannot reduce the heat from the light fixture. (I have a screen top on my tank, but I am sure the fixture will break through it)

I've tried everything I can think of.. maybe you guys can give me ideas. I swear nothing fazes this cat.

I've tried:
- Tin Foil (I find it flattened, so I know it doesn't deter him)
- Ssscat air can, this gets knocked over, but he still goes up. the can ran out of air and it's too expensive to keep replacing. Cans with pennies has the same effect.
- Double-Sided tape. I find the tape messed up, he's still trying to get up there but every day replacing the tape is getting tiresome, especially if it's not teaching him it's a bad place to go.
- Office chair mat with the spikes facing up.. he sleeps on those.

Can't try the cookie sheet trick, this would break my tank cover if it falls. I'm trying to find a canopy that isn't going to break the bank.

He's smart, he knows he's not supposed to be up there. He won't try when I am home, but I see him in my security camera going up there. He ignores me when I shout into the microphone at him

Any other ideas that I haven't tried? Remember, this is on top of a reef tank, so it needs to be tank safe too.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How about giving him a different heat source? A towel covered heating pad in a place where he will consider using it, something like that.? You might need to actively steer him in the right direction for a bit, but then again he might take right to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
How about giving him a different heat source? A towel covered heating pad in a place where he will consider using it, something like that.? You might need to actively steer him in the right direction for a bit, but then again he might take right to it.
I thought about that- an electric blanket, but I am not comfortable with leaving it on while I am not home. Do you know if a safer alternative?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It seems I've seen pet beds that when the cat is in the bed, the material will warm up from body heat....
If you went that route, you could do a covered heating pad while you're there to entice him, then when he's happy with it, remove the electric item. Maybe?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I ordered a self warming bed. See if it works!

In the mean time, if anyone else has ideas, let me know please :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had 6-8 electric cat pads going every winter for the last 6 years. They only consume less then 25 watts of electricity and I have NEVER had one cause a problem. The most I have had over the last ten years is one that just quit warming. With a camera,I don't see what could go wrong,.I'm sure you don't unplug every single electrical item in your house, I would think these are safer/as safe as clocks, refrigerators, and radios. (not to mention that light plunging into the water!) My mats are in constant use, the cats move to wherever I place them, they love them that much! The really safer alternative would be an electric mat made for outdoors, they have extra heavy cords that are wire wrapped to prevent chewing and are waterproof. I strongly recommend them! the only other way to prevent your cat from laying on the light would be to build/place something OVER the light,like a custom made wire mesh table, or some kind of platform on legs to be placed above the tank.