Any information about breast cancer progression ?

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. We are in Kyiv and it has been a very tough couple of years. First of course is the war which has gotten on our last nerves even though we have been pretty lucky - the worst instance is a kindergarten 100 metres from one of our apartments being hit by a drone. We also gained Danny a fluffy boy who was found homeless near Bucha while the Russians were trying to take Kyiv, then we lost our first cat Belle. No real idea of why but quite sudden. Now Aza 8 year old black kitty has developed a lump on a breast and another on the front right lymph node and we are in trouble. I am not concerned about the cost even though we have been quoted an initcost of over 1000 usd but it seems likely that putting aza through major surgery is unlikely to give her more than a year. Do you have any ideas on cancer progression. Could we be kinder to just love her loads as long as she is well and then send her home to god?

Thanks

Paul and Alina

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
From my understanding, even if she had surgery to remove the lumps, they often come back :frown: BUT, not always, I'm sure. And cats can tolerate chemo fairly well, at least most cats can, if it's even available where you are, at the moment.

Your question, to treat or not, is one that really only you can decide on. We have two cats, and really, if it were to happen to one of them, the decision would rest on which cat, because they are so very different. One really seems to love life, and the other just sort of "exists". So I would weigh my decision on what I think my cat would want, if that makes sense. But definitely discuss with your Vet about progression, what to look for as far as pain, etc. so you'll know when it's time if you opt for love only :hugs:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Paul and Alina it is wonderful to hear from you and to know that despite everything going on in Ukraine that you have stayed safe. I am sorry for your loss of Belle.

Breast Cancer In Cats | PetCure Oncology
This article covers anything that I would have added about mammary cancer in cats and whether or not it has spread. When my GSD had his amputation for melanoma, the oncologist did do x-rays to determine if it had already reached his lungs or beyond.

If the cancer has already spread in Aza's body, I would do palliative care unless there were some minor procedure which would relieve discomfort. I don't know if that would even happen. If there is no spread, or if it has stopped in the lymph gland (if that can be determined), then it would be up to you and your vet if this were hopeful.

Is the reactive lymph gland on the same side as the tumor?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Cancer is a horrable disease. Not treating her would be inhummane imo. I've lost family and friends to this horrable disease. I would not wish it uppon my worst enemy.

Your cat is fairly young still not double digits like many other cats with it. She could probably tollerate surgery or chemo/radiation very well if she has no underlying illness.

If treating it is not an option for you either financialy or emotionaly the most humane thing to do imo is to put her down. I don't say this lightly by any means. I have seen firsthand how awful cancer is.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My only experience with breast cancer in a cat was with a feral of my colony. In her case the cancer had spread all over her breasts, on both sides, and the surgery had to remove just everything. It was a very heavy surgery and the cat was hospitalized for three weeks.
What the vet told me was that the worst case scenario was if the cancer had metastasized to the cat's lungs and brain, which is what often happens.
This wasn't the case for this cat, and despite the severity of her cancer, she survived for months.
This was in 2008, so I believe that vet medicine has improved a lot since.

Because of her condition, she couldn't go back to the colony, and was taken in by a shelter, where she lived some months, until she was viciously killed by one of the volunteers at the shelter, but this is another story.

Best of luck to your Aza. I believe that because she's only a breast involved and a lymph node, the outcome is more than positive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Paul and Alina it is wonderful to hear from you and to know that despite everything going on in Ukraine that you have stayed safe. I am sorry for your loss of Belle.

Breast Cancer In Cats | PetCure Oncology
This article covers anything that I would have added about mammary cancer in cats and whether or not it has spread. When my GSD had his amputation for melanoma, the oncologist did do x-rays to determine if it had already reached his lungs or beyond.

If the cancer has already spread in Aza's body, I would do palliative care unless there were some minor procedure which would relieve discomfort. I don't know if that would even happen. If there is no spread, or if it has stopped in the lymph gland (if that can be determined), then it would be up to you and your vet if this were hopeful.

Is the reactive lymph gland on the same side as the tumor?
Thanks for the reply

Sadly yes, the vet is talking about a full mastectomy down one side and possibly the other also BEFORE doing a biopsy of the mass which concerns me, also reading many search results I am seeing a lot of studies saying there is a very low survival rate looking a year post op. e have use this clinic before and that doctor was very good but this one is not giving us good vibrations

Paul

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't know about the survival rate, and haven't looked at any of the studies. A friend's cat had a mastectomy 3 or 4 years ago, I don't remember exactly when, but the kitty is still healthy and active at 15 years of age.

My 12 year old girl had a mastectomy, removing the entire mammary chain on one side, 2-1/2 months ago. So far she's doing great.
If the cancer has spread to any other organs she isn't showing any symptoms.

I made my decision based on the quality rather than the length of her life.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi.
So glad to hear from you.
I worked at a specialty hospital, where we did many chemotherapy cases. This was from 2005 until 2013. I worked both IM and Sx department.

With lumps in that area, the gold standard, back then anyway, was full mammary chain removal and of course biopsy. Then chemotherapy, the type, depending on what kind of cancer.

One case that sticks out in my mind was a little frightened white cat, with an owner that would do anything for her. And, she did. I believe the little cat lived past a year. The owner and cat moved away and the little cat did die shortly after.

If this had been my cat, I would not pursue treatment. That is, other than medications I could do at home. I wouldn’t do surgery.

Of course it is easy for me to say that because I am not in this situation with my cat.

My own cat does have cancer. Intestinal lymphoma, but all the treatments can be done by me at home. Her chemo is in the form of a pill.

The mammary chain removal surgery is painful. It takes a while to heal and I personally would not put my cat through it. I like to think I wouldn’t anyway.

Below is a link to an article.

Before making any decisions, be sure to have full chest X-rays done.(3) views to look for any spread to the lungs.

An abdominal ultrasound is also a good idea, looking for any potential tumors in the abdominal area.

I wish I could say something more encouraging, but in my personal experience, it can be a mess. Maybe things have changed though.

Keep an ongoing conversation regarding all of this with your vet.

I wish I could be more help.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Paul9856 Paul9856 , I've never dealt with breast cancer, in humans or cats, so I shouldn't and won't give advice about that. The one thing I will say is that if the current vet is giving you bad vibes you should go with your gut instinct. If it's at all possible, find a different vet.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Although not the same form of cancer when our last cat was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer we agreed to give her pain medication from a compounding pharmacy and let her tell us when it was time. I agree if the present vet is not giving you good vibes you may want to consider a second opinion assuming there is another clinic nearby.

Thinking of Alina and you at this stressful time on top of everything else going on in Kyiv. My deepest regrets on the passing of your first cat, Belle. :angel: