Any idea what's this yellow dry crust on my kitten's face?

Amni Alia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_20211103_133642.jpg

IMG_20211103_133621.jpg

is this because of mites, yeast infection or fungus? the dry crust is beneath her fur and it will appear when I rub my nail on her face.. few months back then, my other kitten was infested with mange and was already treated but it didn't look like this one.. I've hard time to take photos of her clearly since she kept moving.. I hope u guys can still see it

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you can get her to a vet, I would. This doesn't look like anything I've seen before, frankly. It looks almost like dried serum would around a wound, but there is no wound. Let us know what a vet says, and how she is doing.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does it seem it comes from under her hair? Do you think it's coming off her skin?
Could it be possible she put her forehead into something and that a strange substance stuck to her hair and dried like a crust?
Does this stuff have a smell?
Is your cat acting normally?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Amni Alia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 yes it comes from under her skin. I'm sure that it's not something that stuck on her head because i noticed it several time.. I think there's no concerning smell. it is surely itchy for her..I will bring her to the vet this Friday.. but I just posted this thread here if there's anyone who had this experience before

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might be an allergic reaction to something, or an excessive suppuration of some sebaceous glands in her skin?
How does it feel under your skin when you touch it? Is it hard? Is it dissolving if you squeeze it between two fingers?

Amni Alia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 it is like thin dry skin.. so it will cracked if I pinch it. is it that serious? I'm worried

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's really serious, but of course you should have your kitty visited by a vet. It could be a symptom of something that needs to be treated.
It could be an allergy to something, or a lack of something else.

My cat had a similar thing following a heavy surgery. Probably a reaction to the medicines she had at the clinic. She had lots of skin flakes coming off her abdomen and sides, though they were whiter than those you are seeing on your cat.
My cat was put of supplements to restore her skin balance.

Has your cat received any medical treatment in the last weeks/months?
It could even be a relapse of the mange that occurred to your other cat.
Is your cat's hair coming off too on that area? If you pull it?

Amni Alia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 the first time I adopted her,she did have a puss on her leg because of a fall from a table.. so the vet gave her antibiotics and anti-inflammatory.. she already healed.. I apply a fungus cream on the crust area. The cream was given by a vet to my other kitten (jerry, who had mange and some fungus).. she was a stray kitten, then I made her befriend with Jerry. I don't really think that it's from Jerry because he doesn't have something like that.. but these days, I noticed that he got the mange back whereas my black kitten, Luna has the crust skin in few weeks before

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I think that Luna needs to be seen by a vet, possibly a dermatologist, to see if it's something to do with a previous medication, a food allergy or a lack of something.
Or else.

Do you have some good vets in your area?

Amni Alia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet said that it was mange..but I forgot to ask which type of mange it was.. she's on ivermectin.. so far it's doing well.. btw..do u guys have any idea what CNS cream is? The cream that I applied on her has "CNS" written on it.. I messaged the vet to ask what's the name of the cream but sadly they don't reply me yet