Any Hope Of Christmas Tree With Kittens?

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At Christmas time we will have a 6mo and a 4mo. . .any chance we can still have a tree? Or is that just a disaster waiting to happen? I'm willing to forgo it this year, but just thought I'd see if anyone has any idea on how to have a tree? With cats in general and with kittens.

Thanks!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for posting this, as we have the same predicament.

I have been planning to put up Christmas Tree in my home back in my country for years now, but always decide to just delay it for next year. In the Philippines we use plastic Christmas trees, though. But still, there is my Pepsi who, for sure, will just ruin the tree decors, and I can also imagine my 3 dogs peeing on the foot of the tree.

I always tell my kids, Better luck next year.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The question you need to ask when combining Cats with Christmas trees is this.....

"If a tree falls in the front room, does it make a sound?"

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We put up an artificial pre-lit tree without any ornaments last year. (Cats were 2 1/2 and 6 months). This year we will decorate with cheap ornaments and see what happens. None of the cheap glass ornaments that shatter into little slivers though.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never had a problem with any of my cats and trees. My assumption being that out tree is next too a bookshelf that is easier to climb, our crew goes outside so they have real trees to climb, I have cat trees in the house (another easier to climb item) and our tree is fake (so not as interesting). The worst we have is the back side has to be kept empty of presents otherwise Link will shred them to make space for a nap.

If you want to have trees I'd go ahead with a lightly decorated fake tree this year and see how it goes. Have a cat tree in the same room so that they have a better climbing alternative nearby to reduce the appeal of the tree. Then tell them no if they try to climb the tree. If you don't start when they are young the tree will be just as interesting in future years.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You will only know for sure if you try to put up some decorations/tree using a guideline of cat safe items in case one is overly interesting. I have run the gamut from the cat who got into a paper shopping bag that was a toy and, tank style, rammed into the base of the tree to knock it over. Jamie, on the other hand, for having been a rambunctious abandoned kitten, had no interest in any decorations and still never has. He has tons of human and animal interaction and lots of toys and cat trees....but so did Alix, so you can never know for sure.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would avoid tinsel.

Your kittens can eat it and choke. Or it can get tangled in their intestines. I would use low voltage lighting, in case they chew the lighting wiring.

Obviously avoid glass ornaments and anything small that can be swallowed.

Kittens and christmas....sounds perfect...show us some pics. (maybe that would be a great thread for this site)

VinceL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have never had a problem with any of our cats and Christmas trees. Years ago we used to go to a tree farm and cut down our Christmas tree. The first year we had a cat, I said no more real trees. I got sticky enough from the sap just putting the tree up. I could just envision a cat spreading sap from his fur to furniture all over the house. I believe the first 2 years we secured the top of the tree to the wall....just in case. But, we have had cats for almost 30 years and never had a problem. To avoid temptation, we don't put lights along the bottom branches of the trees, and we don't put any fragile/delicate ornaments along the bottom. And, we definitely do not use tinsel. Many of our trees have real strung popcorn on them (my wife just finished stringing for this Christmas last week), and the cats don't even bother that. We put up 7 Christmas trees in our house every year. So, we give the cats plenty of temptation, but they leave the trees alone. They do love to lay under them.

Right now they are enjoying laying under our Halloween tree.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I had live Christmas trees for all the years I had kittens and cats. I used a heavy weight base with a cover over the water reservoir that was wide enough to support not only a tree but a cat climbing it. I skipped the lights - too much danger of someone getting tangled in them or biting a light and getting a shock. And I only used plastic ornaments on the bottom half of the tree.

Only a couple of my cats climbed the trunk, one loved to remove ornaments, no one chewed the tree itself or tipped it and they all loved to lay beneath it.

Presents under the tree did not fare as well. I gave up on bows or any kind of ribbon because they were torn off and chewed and one year my devil cat Murphy chewed the paper of of at least one corner on every single gift.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use an artificial tree and have never had a problem with her trying to climb up inside it. She will, however, want to sit under it and chew on the branches. Very dangerous of course. I found that using the motion activated air canister works perfectly, and keeps her away from the tree. After the first time, she gives it a wide berth.

Coolgram

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have any answers other than what other members have already suggested, as I'm in the same boat with you. This will be my 1 yr. old cat Gracie's first Christmas with me. Not trying to scare you, but here's a picture of my daughter's tree from a couple of years ago after her two cats toppled it. They actually did it twice and by then the tree was a goner and they threw it out. Wishing both of us good luck this year!

Attachments

Coolgram

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure how two identical pics got attached above but couldn't figure out how to remove one after my reply was posted. Oh well.