Any good dry food for weight control?

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’ve been searching for a good dry food for over weight cats but when I check the ingredients they all have soy or corn or flaxseed, things that aren’t good for cats, some even had a high rate of carbs..
Has anyone found and using a decent brand? I feed my cats wet food but a lot prefer dry, which I try to limit as much as possible.

J. A. Vann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve been searching for a good dry food for over weight cats but when I check the ingredients they all have soy or corn or flaxseed, things that aren’t good for cats, some even had a high rate of carbs..
Has anyone found and using a decent brand? I feed my cats wet food but a lot prefer dry, which I try to limit as much as possible.
By accident, my over weight cat lost about 3 or 4 pounds when my husband brought home a new dry food. It is grain free & my cat gets it in small amounts twice a day & one small serving of a canned food. The food is a newer brand & it’s called, “ I and Love and You”! My cats love it & it comes in several flavors! It’s not really a weight loss diet food but it worked for my 17 pound fur baby!!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wysong's epigen 90 is about the highest protein kibble I know of, but none of my cats would ever touch it. (I should preface that by saying they don't typically eat kibble, so when I presented it to them, they all looked at me like I was trying to poison them)

Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein (it does contain Flaxseed) and Young Again are two other option you might try. INMO, all these foods are pretty pricey though.

In my experience, the best way to get a cat to lose weight is to feed all wet food, high protein, low carb. It worked in our household anyway.

ReallySleepy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just want to mention that I give my (big) cat Orijen Fit & Trim, which is both a quality brand and very low carb.

For the rest, I agree with mrsgreenjeens that wet food is likely the way to go. Such food typically contains no discernible carb at all.