Any Food That Induces Chewing?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a less difficult version to help him get the hang of it.

PinShang Slow Eating Training Bowl Avoid Choke Feeder for Pet Dog Puppy Cat Kitten Pink

They don't have a small picture of it. Put that in the search at Amazon to see what it looks like.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That one looks super deep, im going to try a ball in his raised dish

Maybe two balls? I dont have ping pong balls but I have cat toy balls

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've found ping pong balls at the end of the aisle in the grocery store. Ask one of the clerks, there is no logic to which aisle.

Last edited:

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
929047E3-CFA8-4A31-9AD9-2C808CDD0BF3.jpeg
Im going to do the ball thing but I think I found something good hows this?

It looks fairly shallow, just might work, but now I need to return the other one

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a lovely bowl. I think the idea remains that he's supposed to fish out one piece at a time and eat it, rather than putting his face in the bowl.

I'm very interested to know how he approaches this bowl and works it.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hand fed him yesterday evening and like a idiot I overdid it even though I knew better..Basically I gave him 1 handful and then blah..I proceeded to give him a 2nd handful and after the 2nd handful Barf 5 seconds after...

He really only can have small portions at a time

Strangely also he seems to be chewing more and I notice sometimes when he crunches peices fall out of his mouth while hand feeding one at a time, never happened before weird..

Moments ago I put a small portion into his raised feeder and he actually slowed down and chewed quite a bit more often...

Maybe my hand feeding one at a time is training him to slow the heck down, I dunno but I can only hope

Also his poops are healthy looking with moisture now as he was recently constipated, im quite pleased!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can work it out, you might try small meals (as you said) a couple of hours a part until you feed him as much as he needs for the day. Later, and we must believe this time will come, when he's secure and stops scarfing you can free feed with a big bowl or a tower feeder.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I made my own and it slowed him down most definetly! I had spacers but he snobbed it so I took it out so now its only a 1/4 inch high, with the spacers it was a bit higher.

I went through 20 pages on amazon and not a single dish that is shallow with minimum spacer height, not a single one but the one i posted

I used nylon nuts and bolts, the protruding bolt under the dish raises it to a perfect height on my wooden stand I recently made.. I will add another bolt once he is more used to it

A regular hand drill could not drill the dish so I had to use my drill press..just saying! I used Olive oil as the lubricant

He did try and bite the bolt head thinking it was kibble

I must say, im rather Happy!
2995D0C6-96A9-445D-A211-8121FDF5E54E.jpeg
448D7C75-318B-4362-8B2D-CCC83AE0840D.jpeg

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your bowl is lovely. Is the idea that he will eat in the bowl? If so I think those will work better than ping pong balls.

After I suggeted the ping pong balls, which is a suggestion I've heard before, it occurred to me that a clever or determined or annoyed cat might just smack the bowl and throw the food and ping pong ball on the floor.

And there is an idea - spread his food out on a place mat. That will be one piece at a time. I should have thought of it before. We put the food in the dog's dish and she smacks the dish spreading the food out over the floor. I have no idea why she does this.

I think all the bowls on Amazon and other sites are made with the idea of getting the cat to take each piece out one at time and eat it.

Love your thread and all the pictures.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I put more knobbys in it!

He eats straight out of the bowl and he needs to sort of hunt his food down in it which slows him down if fed small amounts. So far zero scarf and barf, when he gets to the last 25% of food it slows him down more as he needs to sniff the kibble out...

Win win chicken Dinner

636772E6-3CED-4F3D-A54D-8E6F72DDB027.jpeg