Any Food That Induces Chewing?

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ECF3D0C6-39B4-4FF4-B861-2E3508BFF5DB.jpeg
I did read about Royal Canin Siamese Kibble which is all fillers and no meat!

My cat Oliver(almost 4 years old) is a scarf and barfer as many of you know... I have tried raised bowl that helps and I have a slow feeder that should be here anyday now and I will also raise that... I have been still struggling with this and hope the slow feeder remedy’s the situation as its almost my last resort..

Oliver rarely chews any of his kibble, I watch him closely today and he licks it up like water and sometimes he licks up 3 peices at a time and sometimes the result is barf 5 min after....

He is on Iams healthy digestion and I have been switching his food much too often..

Vets want to jump the gun and claim ibd and steroid him out as she claimed over the phone, personally I think its like I said “slurping up multiple kibble in record time, like really faast”

If he takes his time and actually chewed im fairly confident this would stop...Oliver has been costing me a fortune this year and I do not think the vet and drugs is the answer...

Is there any kibble that anyone knows of that might induce a cat to chew, or is royal canin siamese the only one?

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BMX9LL8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Most cats don't chew very much when eating. That's one ofothe reasons why the claims of diet impacting dental health are misguided. The slow feeder will probably do the trick. I have one who will happily scarf and barf but usually only when he sees one of the others eating. So I tend to keep him away from the food when I notice and it reduces his barfing along with a poultry free diet.

While you are waiting on the slow feeder, a quick version is ping pong balls or foil balls in the food dish.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many times a day is he fed? Could you feed a little less per meal, but more meals per day? The food might be hitting his stomach like a brick (digestion starts in the mouth, with that chewing thing) and if the stomach isn't ready it's possible it's just hitting "eject" because it was too much, too fast.
When I had kibble cats that ate fast I gave up on bowls and would pretty much toss the food onto the floor and let them hunt for it. Not fancy, but it slowed them down a little.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you feed canned food instead? It's a lot easier to eat. Dry food does nothing for dental health if that's the reason you want your cat to chew. Cat teeth aren't designed for chewing the way people do. Cat teeth are meant to tear meat apart and crunch on bones.

ZepMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has a "sensitive" stomach, possible IBS type issue (loose stools, multiple times a day during flare ups). Quite different from your kitty's issue, but I'd suggest smaller meals several times a day & feeding mostly wet food.

Seems our guy does better with the smaller meals more often. Both cat have stomatisis & I'd love for them actually chew food to improve their dental health. However, the Hill's oral care food & Greenies suggested by vet aren't really encouraging chewing. They seem to swallow whole or break in half & swallow. Not much chewing.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He wont eat wet food, I try a lot!

I have been feeding him manually meaning giving him one kibble at a time by hand into his raised feeder...When I do this he chews 75% more rather then swallowing...

I will continue to do this until the slow feeder comes, I made a raised platform out of wood yesterday for his new feeder

My girl Allie who is also persian chews almost 100% of her kibble at a turtles pace, and shes been refusing wet food or eating very little of it since Iams came into her life

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can certainly try it!

I must say, I think im responsible for Olivers fast eating, when he was a kitten I would stop him from consuming Allie’s food on a daily basis....

As soon as he see’s me he would stop in his tracks, sigh, I created a monster gobbler

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're asking Oliver to do something he wasn't born with the equipment to do. Cats don't have grinding teeth. Unlike our molars all their teeth are narrow, triangular and pointy. There is no flat surface to grind up food on. They tend to swallow their dry food whole, sometimes cracking a piece, but they can't grind it, just break it then swallow the pieces.

Breaking each piece into smaller pieces is probably why your girl eats slowly. she's still not grinding the food to a powder. Since the smaller pieces seem to do better with her stomach, have you considered breaking the food up before you give it to them? Put it between sheets of a good -expensive you know the one - paper towel and hit with the meat tenderizer hammer.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is there any kibble that anyone knows of that might induce a cat to chew, or is royal canin siamese the only one?
If your cat tolerates chicken, here's a kibble that requires them to chew.

Hill's® Science Diet® Oral Care Adult Cat Food - Chicken | cat Dry Food | PetSmart

My vet actually recommended it for Ruby as treats, to help with her gum inflammation. Because she had to bite into each piece of kibble, it would press against her gums and help with the inflammation. Unfortunately I believe Ruby has a chicken intolerance, and this food eventually messed up her digestive system and I had to stop giving them to her.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My slow feeder arrived today, Allie seems more interested then Oliver....I hope he eventually takes to it in time..Sigh

Maybe I should put plenty food in it as im still putting not that much in it?

He messed with it for maybe 2 minutes, possibly not hungry enough, hope its not too difficult for him

I have it in their tent right now with the two of them, their lizard watching atm

(“Oh this is totally off topic but since Allie is on the Iam’s her stools totally didnt reek the house up, I mean for the past 2 years you need to evacuate the house when she poops!

Also Oliver had a brown grease stain on his nose bridge I assume from eating royal canin urinary so for almost 2 years, thats finally clearing up!”)

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
(“Oh this is totally off topic but since Allie is on the Iam’s her stools totally didnt reek the house up, I mean for the past 2 years you need to evacuate the house when she poops!

Also Oliver had a brown grease stain on his nose bridge I assume from eating royal canin urinary so for almost 2 years, thats finally clearing up!”)
This is terrific!!

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oliver is not liking this dish at all, it the knobs too high for his flat face? I left it out in the early morning when hes hungry and he didnt touch it...

I ended up hand feeding one kibble at a time which seems to stop all barfing

Sigh, I even custom made a raised platform for it :(

88D73758-B13A-42D2-A825-88DC8F768EBC.jpeg

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who would like that dish? Whiskers, man, whiskers. No one wants them brushing on things and making a kit feel crowded. maybe a dish with little ridges? ping pong balls that move around. Chewy.com doesn't have any that look like they would work.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked it up. He's not supposed to put his face in this dish. He's supposed to pull out one piece of kibble at a time and eat it. That way you don't have to.