Any clue how this could have happened?

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just noticed that my boy has short whiskers on one side. I know he’s been under stress the last week because his brother was in the hospital - luckily he’s doing really well and it looks like he will make a full recovery. This is just so odd to me has anybody seen this I’ve search the boards and they said brutal whiskers but these look like they’ve been cut straight across. We don’t have children. No one else has been near him. His adult son is staying with us but he’s an animal lover and this isn’t something he would do.
The last picture with his Meowbox is from February.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just realized you can’t see his whiskers as much in the Meowbox picture. This attached picture is from February 20th.
E0F7F1E3-608A-4046-AEF3-FF19552FC536.jpeg

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, I can see just fine in the first set of pix you posted, and have absolutely no idea how this could have happened. They definitely look like they were cut off at some point...not too short, but definitely shorter than before. You haven't had any visitors or anything other than the one son who is staying with you? HE hasn't had any visitors you aren't aware of? It only take a moment for someone to do this. Maybe a younger person visiting?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No we have not had anyone. His little brother was in the hospital for a couple days, and I wondered if it was stress but I don’t see how they were broken so evenly. It is really odd. I do not think there’s anyway you his son would have cut them he loves animals and I think he knows that would hurt him. Not only that he doesn’t come out for strangers so it wouldn’t be anybody else. He doesn’t seem bothered by it, I am just taken aback.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It has happened to one of mine on two occasions. Once because she kept rubbing her face on the carrier door when being taken to the vets and the second I'm not sure how but she was indoors and only myself around so I suspect something similar, both occasions looked like they had been cut as does your cat.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had this happen to one of my cat's. I was convinced someone had cut his whiskers even though I knew nobody in the house would do it, and he was a indoor cat. It turned out to be my other cat had done it by grooming him enthusiastically I caught him chewing them while washing his brothers face. I was shocked that he managed to bite them so evenly. And that the bigger cat let him do it.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see it celarly in the first photo, all whiskers have the same length on the left side.
I had known of cats who chew each other's whiskers, but you say that your other cat is at the clinic now.
No children in the house, no-one got near to him. I guess you had no guests in the past few days and that your cat does not have access to the outside.
The only guess I have is that your cat's whiskers got jammed or snapped into a cutting edge of a piece of furniture or a cat's toy or something in your house, all of them at the same time, or else they wouldn't be the same length. It's been a single incident with a linear cutting edge, in my opinion.

Nothing worrying, though, they will grow back soon.

When the cat in my avatar was very young, about 3 or 4 months old, she ended up in the hands of my neighbor's kids and she came back home without whiskers at all, those little monsters had cut them off completely with a pair of scissors!