Anxiety or something else?

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had Michaleto for about 2 years and he is 3 years old now. He is a relatively anxious/aware cat and always has been. He's an indoor/outdoor cat that usually loves to spend his afternoons basking outside in the sun napping. The past 3 days have been different though. At some point during the day, he bolts through the cat door like he's on fire, and slinks around looking for a 'safe place'. Yesterday, he spent 3 hours under the bed, and another 2 hours on the sofa next to me (this isn't usual behavior.)  He's not a lap cat, but he likes to be in close proximity to me-especially the past few days. 2 mornings ago, he popped into bed, scratching at my blankets (which he occasionally does for attention.) I got him settled and calm and he curled up at my feet. About 10 minutes later, he jumped out of bed, ran to the corner and threw up undigested kibble. Other than that his eating seems normal, he's playful with me and extra cuddly (more than usual).

He seems to be staying in a LOT more than normal. And when we do go out, (he comes for walks with me to get the mail and throw out the trash) he seems apprehensive and anxious. He'll dart from one spot to another, ducking under any cover as he follows me along. If I get too far away from him, he cries out "Booowwww" (he doesn't meow). It's this sad bellow like 'don't leave me!'

Then this morning, I was playing with him and his brother just outside the door. He seemed a little anxious, and like he wanted to go back in. I opened the door and he went in, and hopped into his litter box just inside the door to pee. Neither cat ever use the litter box unless they absolutely have to, they prefer to go outside.

I'm thinking something outside is scaring him lately but I can't tell. Also, we've gone through some separation anxiety before and though there are similar qualities here, it's not the same. 

Help. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It does seem as though something is frightening him outside.  Why don't you try leaving him inside for a few days and see how he reacts.  Are there neighborhood cats that come into your yard or a dog that might have been loose? 

Also since his behavior has changed, I would keep a close eye on him to be sure he is not ill.  The fact that the threw up and ran inside to the litter box, could indicate an underlying illness.  Cats are very good at hiding illnesses and a sign is that there is a change in behavior.  Keep an eye on him and make a trip to the vet if things continue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you.

We live in a small condo complex and he gets along with all the cats except one- but she's just unfriendly to all other cats. Nothing new there. The only thing I can think is perhaps the noise from someone working outside (lots of hammering and such) might have scared him-that began a few days ago too I think. Then yesterday the landscapers were here moving the lawn (which is something that ALWAYS gives him anxiety.) Perhaps the combo of all those bigs noises at once was too much. I'll keep an eye for another day or two and if it doesn't improve I'll call the vet.

I appreciate your advice :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, it's been about 4 days and still he does not want to go outside during the day. Strange, he'll go out at night and in the morning, but that's it. I called the vet and they said he likely just got a good scare from something or someone. 

Twice, he has tried to follow me to the mailbox but just can't seem to make it. He darts under cover as he follows, but usually gives up halfway and starts crying. The other thing I noticed is strange movements with his tail I've never seen him make before. While outside, he is very alert, and his tail stands out pretty even with his body, but swings back and forth side to side. I assume this means he is frightened, agitated, etc 

Any thoughts on the tail thing? Also, anyone have any experience with an outdoor cat being so scared by something they decide to become an indoor cat?

I just feel really bad for him :(

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi there, cats are very sensitive to loud noise, maybe something happened outside and that's why he's acting like that. It's good idea to let him stay inside for now until he is confident to go out again and more safer for him.

If Macha heard loud noise she hides too and very scared, about the tail, it's normal when they are frightened. Macha doesn't like to go out and she is happy to be inside cat.