Anxiety And Spay Concerns (pictures Inside)

GabreilleM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've taken my Harley girl to the vet twice now after her spay which was done on last Tuesday. The first time, which I believe was this Sunday, was concern about infection which turned out to be not a huge worry but they gave us some antibiotics to give twice a day just in case. The second time, yesterday, was because it looked like she may have opened up her stitches and we were told to just make sure she's keeping her cone on and she'd be right as rain in no time. Today as I went to check on her and her sister, Nala (who is healing beautifully), I noticed there had been some drainage. She's still on the antibiotics so I don't think it should be possible for an infection to get worse or anything. I think it might just be a 'gets worse before it gets better' situation but I have several forms of severe anxiety so I'm a natural born worrier and since my vet is closed today I'd just like some advice if possible. Please and thank you in advance!
46687637_537873869971972_1394538317227229184_n.jpg
46502213_2343551792341057_48494389839790080_n.jpg

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As the incision heals, scar tissue builds up under the incision site and produces the bulging. It doesn't look infected to me, but it doesn't look quite right either. As long as there is no pus colored or any other colored discharge or gaping opening, I think you're good. If you're concerned, maybe you can take her to a different vet for a 2nd opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GabreilleM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is the spay site dry? Are there any pus pr foul smell? Just stay calm till you can either send a photo of the spay site to the vet or wait till there open tomorrow.

Here's article for you to read : -

spaying-and-neutering-what-to-look-for-after-surgery.30218
There wasn't pus the first few times we brought her in but it looks like there is now and it's an angry red despite using the cone and antibiotics. We're just going to have to take her in at 6 in the morning tomorrow because it seems like its just getting worse.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you are right to take her in, the site does not look right to me either. and if there is drainage then there is a problem. it may be that she needs different antibiotics, or even a bit of clean up surgery? My little white cat had horrible reactions to the suture materials used, and infections. It took our vet several months and quite a few office visits to get her straightened out. Our vet did not do her spay it was done by the rescue before i got her.

Never hesitate to question the vet, take her in, or get a second vet to look if you think its needed.

Best of luck to you guys, and do update us :heartshape:

GabreilleM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: So, it turns out Harley's body is basically violently rejecting the sutures and the only thing we can do is continue giving her the antibiotics and hoping that helps or have her go in for surgery if she's not better in a week. It also turns out that her sister Nala's body is not healing as well as we thought and is attacking the sutures faster than her body can heal as well. Nala's 'prescription' is five more days away from her brothers. Overall it seems like I have a bunch of little ones with over-reactive bodies. Luckily Nala's situation isn't that serious and should heal fairly natural but Harley's going to have a bit of a rough time.

GabreilleM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's so unexpected. They really ought to include the possibility in the papers they give you with the spaying so you'd know what to look for. GaberilleM, you've done a wonderful job with this.
I agree! They told me all sorts of things about how to prevent and spot infection but nothing on the potential of a rejection of the stitches or a body dissolving them too fast! Thank you very much, it's been a struggle but they're finally starting to look good!

GabreilleM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update 2: The girls are doing better! Harley's body is still very obviously trying to push the stitches out but there's no more fluid or pus coming from the incision site. Everything's scabbing up nicely and Nala looks like she'll be ready to go back with her brothers after her next checkup. It looks like it really may have just been a "gets worse before it gets better" situation. Needless to say, I am one relieved mama and I can't wait for them to be able to play with their brothers again.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
The girls are doing better! Harley's body is still very obviously trying to push the stitches out but there's no more fluid or pus coming from the incision site. Everything's scabbing up nicely and Nala looks like she'll be ready to go back with her brothers after her next checkup.
That’s great to hear! :clapcat:

GabreilleM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Final update!: The girls were finally cleared to go back with their brothers today! It's been a crazy journey with their spay and I'm extremely relieved that I can close this chapter with a happy ending.