Another UTI?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as she is peeing even small amounts and eating. Just can't wait to see a pee clumps bigger than a nickel or quarter!!
Just a heads up.
When my boy developed cystitis (stress induced) It took over a month before his peeing habits became normal again. He had been catheterized for 5 days, which does make a difference, but just so you know....it can take time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a heads up.
When my boy developed cystitis (stress induced) It took over a month before his peeing habits became normal again. He had been catheterized for 5 days, which does make a difference, but just so you know....it can take time.
That's good.to.know because the first episode she had she started showing improvement within a couple days. This time it's day four and not much improvement so.it makes me nervous.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Keep us updated on how he is doing. Good luck.
She is doing slightly better today. Less trips to the litter box. Some clumps are getting bigger but still having little ones too. We will be working on the basement again this Saturday and again next week, pretty much for the whole month so I hope it doesn't hinder her getting better or cause a relapse once she is better. We got water in our basement so basically have to gut the whole thing, put in a system and redo it. It's a nightmare with a sick cat who is 😥

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
First, I want to say that depending on which antibiotic was used to treat it the first time, assuming it really was a UTI, it might not have really knocked it out. I had a cat once who received the Convenia shot for a UTI, and it didn't help the first time around. She needed to get another shot of it maybe six weeks later when she presented symptoms again. Then more recently a had another cat who had a UTI and was given an oral antibiotic for 14 days. When he went back in for his follow-up, he still had the UTI. I had his urine cutured to make sure we were using the correct antibiotic, and it turned out we weren't. There were only two antibiotics that would work on whichever bacteria he had, so we started on one of those for another 14 days and that did the trick. From now on I will have them run a culture to make sure we are using the correct antibiotic ANY time any type of infection is suspected.

Now, just in case in your little one this is stress related, here is a great thread regarding stress in cats: Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Additionally, if you are feeding dry food, try to get her to drink plenty of water. If she LIKES wet food, try to increase the amount she eats, and even add more water to it. Extra moisture help guard against UTI's if they are prone to them, once you get her stress under control.
What antibiotic did the trick
If you don't mind

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. I agree with all of what mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens said above. But, I want to add this: an experienced vet can - with the help of an aide/tech - scruff a cat and take a needle through to the bladder to draw out urine for testing - with NO sedatives. I've seen it done to my cat, and it is literally done in seconds. A urinalysis/urine culture will be the only way to know if there is an actual infection and what might be the best antibiotics to treat it. It will also show if there is sediment and/or blood in the urine, which will help to diagnose possible problems. that is the absolute starting point.

Once that is settled, you can look into other options for treating a cat that is susceptible to stressful situations. Such as:
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis (FIC) (petplace.com)
How do they get the urine culture if pees coming out of carrier
And vet says bladder is empty

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How do they get the urine culture if pees coming out of carrier
And vet says bladder is empty
You would have to ask the vet what is the next step. It is very odd that a cat that pees in their carrier actually emptied their bladder entirely, but I suppose it is possible. The only other thing would be to try again, or let the cat stay at the vets for hours in order to produce more urine. The last time Feeby was held, years ago, at the vets for hours in order to get pee, she still didn't give them any. However, when the vet brought her into the exam room for me to pick her up, he gently squeezed on her bladder and out came enough urine for them to draw into a syringe off the the sterile exam table. This was a last resort sort of urine collection.