Another UTI?

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I'm back at the ER vet with my cat. I don't know why issues always happen on a weekend. A little over a month ago we had her in for peeing little amounts and vocalizing in the litter box. They couldn't get a urine sample because she gets so upset that they can't handle her and she peed in her carrier. So they ended up treating her like she had a uti with antibiotics and onsior. She got better but now she is having the same symptoms. Last time it happened when we were gone for a weekend and the vet thought stress related. Now yesterday I was gone for the day and now this starts today. If this is stress related due to me leaving for more than a few hours how do you deal with that? I have to live my life?! They will have to sedate her to get a urine sample, hopefully they can get one so we can know.for. sure what we are dealing with. The problem is I switched vets about 9 months ago and I've talked to them over the phone but haven't actually brought her in to be seen because she gets so stressed and is unable to be handled. So I called them and the vet is out until the 5th of April. So no follow up until then. I like the new vet from talkimg to him but now I'm wishing I would have picked a vet with more than one vet so someone is always there when one is on vacation. I don't want to have to transfer all my records again. Plus on top of all this we are doing a basement project that is pretty extensive due to water. We are just starting and the worst part is to come. I'm worried that will.make things worse as well if stress is the issue. We tried daily gabapentin but it seemed to make her too sleepy no matter how low the dose. Anyone with cats that get stressed out when you leave? Uti type issues because of this. Wish me luck!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First, I want to say that depending on which antibiotic was used to treat it the first time, assuming it really was a UTI, it might not have really knocked it out. I had a cat once who received the Convenia shot for a UTI, and it didn't help the first time around. She needed to get another shot of it maybe six weeks later when she presented symptoms again. Then more recently a had another cat who had a UTI and was given an oral antibiotic for 14 days. When he went back in for his follow-up, he still had the UTI. I had his urine cutured to make sure we were using the correct antibiotic, and it turned out we weren't. There were only two antibiotics that would work on whichever bacteria he had, so we started on one of those for another 14 days and that did the trick. From now on I will have them run a culture to make sure we are using the correct antibiotic ANY time any type of infection is suspected.

Now, just in case in your little one this is stress related, here is a great thread regarding stress in cats: Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Additionally, if you are feeding dry food, try to get her to drink plenty of water. If she LIKES wet food, try to increase the amount she eats, and even add more water to it. Extra moisture help guard against UTI's if they are prone to them, once you get her stress under control.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with all of what mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens said above. But, I want to add this: an experienced vet can - with the help of an aide/tech - scruff a cat and take a needle through to the bladder to draw out urine for testing - with NO sedatives. I've seen it done to my cat, and it is literally done in seconds. A urinalysis/urine culture will be the only way to know if there is an actual infection and what might be the best antibiotics to treat it. It will also show if there is sediment and/or blood in the urine, which will help to diagnose possible problems. that is the absolute starting point.

Once that is settled, you can look into other options for treating a cat that is susceptible to stressful situations. Such as:
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis (FIC) (petplace.com)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I agree with all of what mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens said above. But, I want to add this: an experienced vet can - with the help of an aide/tech - scruff a cat and take a needle through to the bladder to draw out urine for testing - with NO sedatives. I've seen it done to my cat, and it is literally done in seconds. A urinalysis/urine culture will be the only way to know if there is an actual infection and what might be the best antibiotics to treat it. It will also show if there is sediment and/or blood in the urine, which will help to diagnose possible problems. that is the absolute starting point.

Once that is settled, you can look into other options for treating a cat that is susceptible to stressful situations. Such as:
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis (FIC) (petplace.com)
So just talked to ER vet. They gave me the option to just treat again or use use gas to sedate her as she is growling and they cannot handle her to get the urine sample. At this point I think I have to bite the bullet and get the urine sample to know what we are dealing with even though I hate sedating her. I asked about culture and they aren't set up to send it out so they said something about giving me a sample to bring to my vet next week( Does urine keep that long???). As far as antianxiety meds for separation anxiety does anyone know what they use that doesn't have a ton of side effects? We tried gabapentin and that just knocked her out so we quit giving it to her.

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So left the ER vet. Urinalysis showed debris(rbcs and wbcs). The vet said from inflammation, scant bacteria and no signs of crystals or stones. He thinks it's cystitis due to inflammation probably stress induced. Going home with three days onsior and 5 days antibiotics although he doesn't think the bacteria is enough to cause the symptoms but just to cover in case. Says need to follow up with vet for anxiety medication and bladder anti inflammatory food. So anyone have their cats on medication for anxiety for fic? I'm worried about side effects. Also what prescription foods are good for bladder inflammation? He said she doesn't need one to prevent stones and crystals since she didn't have any but said one for inflammation would be good.. She is currently on wet and dry food. The dry food is a high fiber prescription food they gave her for one episode of constipation likely due to buprinorphone. She only likes chicken flavor and pate for wet food. I've been trying to increase her wet food which has been a challenge since she is somewhat picky. I'm so confused right now as we are doing alot of the stress relievers already (playing, toys, feliway, own room to go away to)but believe it's separation anxiety when I leave for more than four hours as she is very close to me. I hate to have to medicate her but what else can I do. I can't stay home 24/7!!

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Does anyone have any experience with anti anxiety meds for cats specifically separation anxiety and cystitis? My cat just got diagnosed with sterile cystitis at ER vet due to inflammation caused by stress. We have tried gabapentin and it makes her too sleepy so we don't want to use it. I need to make an appointment when my regular vet comes back from vacation on april 5th to discuss bladder inflammation prescription diets and anti anxiety meds. I'm so concerned about giving her drugs but we have done all the other stuff already (toys, windows, playing etc). She is so close to me that the last two times I left for a day or two she got symptoms of uti and we think it's separation anxiety. I feel guilty when i.leave and on edge that she will get sick but I can't stay he all the time . I have other responsibilities outside the home. Anybody with personal experience with this would be much appreciated so I can do.my research before I make the vet appointment. There are so many anti anxiety options on the internet but they all have a ton of side effect. Thank you

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Have you tried cat music? Also, check on Only Natural Pet - they have some calming products.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In that article on stress that I posted above, there is a section on medications that can be used and potential side effects. Additionally, here are a couple of threads about some of those medications and how they worked with a few of our members:

Does Prozac really work?

Confused By Side Effects From Prozac

It may be that you will need to put her on meds for a little while at least and see how she does, especially when you leave, You may even need to purposely be gone for a little longer than normal to see how she does.

As far as food to prevent bladder inflammation, I think you should discuss this with your regular Vet, but there are certainly medications for inflammation. Did they not put her on any? I know about foods to prevent stones, but not specifically about preventing inflammation. i have read though, that sprinkling Cosequin on their food is good for cystitis. And as I mentioned earlier, the more moisture the better. Does she have a fountain to drink from. If not, does she enjoy drinking from faucets? If so, a fountain might benefit her.

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In that article on stress that I posted above, there is a section on medications that can be used and potential side effects. Additionally, here are a couple of threads about some of those medications and how they worked with a few of our members:

Does Prozac really work?

Confused By Side Effects From Prozac

It may be that you will need to put her on meds for a little while at least and see how she does, especially when you leave, You may even need to purposely be gone for a little longer than normal to see how she does.

As far as food to prevent bladder inflammation, I think you should discuss this with your regular Vet, but there are certainly medications for inflammation. Did they not put her on any? I know about foods to prevent stones, but not specifically about preventing inflammation. i have read though, that sprinkling Cosequin on their food is good for cystitis. And as I mentioned earlier, the more moisture the better. Does she have a fountain to drink from. If not, does she enjoy drinking from faucets? If so, a fountain might benefit her.
She does okay when I leave for several hours. The issue seems to be when I leave for an entire day or a weekend. Plus she is skittish when there is a noise or a sudden movement. She has had a rough start and has had to go.to the vet for various things and it's always a nightmare because she growls and hisses even with gabapentin premed and they always have to sedate her to do anything . So I think that doesn't help the situation. The cystitis just started last month after a weekend trip when we were gone and I had my mother in law coming in twice a day to.look in on her and she's two years old. She does have a water fountain. I also have been trying to increase her wet food intake since the first episode by giving her three small meals a day but she doesn't always eat it all and I have to.keep.offerimg it to her. She still gets the royal canin fiber response dry food at night or when she won't eat. I used to free feed her dry and give her one small meal of wet at night. The ER vet yesterday said we should get her on a prescription food for this issue. I have to.discuss this with the regular vet when he comes back from vacation. I did see that hills makes a urinary cd stress dry food. I might ask my regular vet about that . The wet food is tricky because she only likes chicken flavor and pate. Some she won't eat at all so trying a prescription wet food would be much harder. I thought maybe we could do a prescription dry food and do the wet food she is currently on. IDK. I have had her on ut feline supplement chews since her first episode that have n acetyl glucosamine 100mg, d mannose 100mg, cranberry powder 50mg, bromelain 50mg, corn silk 50mg, and bacillus coagulans 50 million cfu. I give them twice daily per the package. I don't know if it's helping as it didn't prevent this second episode. Does she need additional cosequin since this has the n acetyl glucosamine? The vet didn't have much to recommend for otc supplements other than to say this wouldnt harm her when I read what was in it. I'm so nervous about trying an antianxiety because she seems so sensitive to.meds. Like I said the gabapentin we tried totally snowed her with like a 5-10mg dosage! That's why I'm hoping someone that has their cat on antianxiety meds might see this thread and have some wisdom to share on which meds they have tried, side effects etc.

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Have you tried cat music? Also, check on Only Natural Pet - they have some calming products.
I will check that brand. I do have cat music downloaded but haven't actually tried it. We are currently do.home improvement too so that definitely doesn't help. I am going to try that when my husband starts working more on the basement and we have to.put her in her room. The situation is just discouraging.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
we are currently do.home improvement too so that definitely doesn't help.
You could additionally try a sound machine, or even a fan (with the air flow directed in such a way so as to avoid drafts) to dampen the construction noise a bit.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The issue seems to be when I leave for an entire day or a weekend.
What exactly goes on in the household when you're away?

I thought maybe we could do a prescription dry food and do the wet food she is currently on.
This should work fine.
That's why I'm hoping someone that has their cat on antianxiety meds might see this thread and have some wisdom to share on which meds they have tried, side effects etc.
Every cat is different. You need to take a look at the articles posted above, they're very helpful including the point about the human's role and finding ways to become more calm yourself.

Last edited:

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Every cat is different. You need to take a look at the articles posted above, they're very helpful including the point about the human's role and finding ways to become more calm yourself.

This should work fine.
She is our only cat so when I leave then my husband is there but she may be alone for up to 8-12 hours before he gets home. When we both leave my mil comes twice daily. She has a ton of toys, many windows. I think it separation anxiety. She literally follows me around and has to know where I'm at.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've just caught up on your posts and sympathize as I also have a cat with stress related UTI, not caused by separation anxiety but he is super nervous and like your kitty had debris in the bladder but no stones.
There are kits that will aid you getting a urine sample at home for your vet to do the analysis, I don't know if you have looked into those. As far as food is concerned, I would try Royal Canin SO wet food, it is pieces of meat in gravy but you could try mashing the food to make a paste and add a couple of tablespoons of water to increase fluids, if possible, eliminate dry food or minimize the amount.
I give mine one capsule of Nutracys daily , I'm in the UK so don't know if you can get this but Cystease is very similar and can be bought from Amazon.
When mine has a flare up I give D-Mannose and Cornsilk, both are natural and these help a lot.
As for the separation anxiety, I have no experience but maybe try leaving some clothing that you have worn in the places he sleeps so your smell is on them and may give him some comfort.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps ask your vet about Zylkene. Our kitty has separation anxiety, but she overgrooms when upset. Zylkene is said to be effective at help cats cope with change. It's not a sedative, and is said to have no sideffects.
We have some, but have yet needed to use it.
I am told you give it to them at least a week before a stressful event may happen, as it can take about that long for it to work but you may start to see a difference in a few days if you start. I believe it can also be used on a regular basis for chronic stress.
Zylkene | Vetoquinol

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She literally follows me around and has to know where I'm at.
My Poppycat follows me as well--he's very nosy and wants to know what I'm doing, where I am and if he can help. I don't recall if this was mentioned already but do you have cameras set up so that you can see what she does when no-one is in the house?

I don't know what you've downloaded, but have you tried Relax My Cat, MusicForCats or Cat In My Arms on spotify and elsewhere?

Also, I was just made aware of this, thanks to Maurey Maurey - the website has proven to be very calming for one of their cats and as I've mentioned, it could be very beneficial to help you be more calm as well; The Internet has a Cat! Meet Purrli, the online cat purr generator.

Last edited:

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Poppycat follows me as well--he's very nosy and wants to know what I'm doing, where I am and if he can help. I don't recall if this was mentioned already but do you have cameras set up so that you can see what she does when no-one is in the house?

I don't know what you've downloaded, but have you tried Relax My Cat, MusicForCats or Cat In My Arms on spotify and elsewhere?

Also, I was just made aware of this, thanks to Maurey Maurey - the website has proven to be very calming for one of their cats and as I've mentioned, it could be very beneficial to help you be more calm as well; The Internet has a Cat! Meet Purrli, the online cat purr generator.
Yes, I actually have a small bluetooth speaker that I put in her room with cat music on it. I just started it so don't know if it's helping or not. I'll try anything! I wonder if you can hook that online purr to a bluetooth speaker?

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've just caught up on your posts and sympathize as I also have a cat with stress related UTI, not caused by separation anxiety but he is super nervous and like your kitty had debris in the bladder but no stones.
There are kits that will aid you getting a urine sample at home for your vet to do the analysis, I don't know if you have looked into those. As far as food is concerned, I would try Royal Canin SO wet food, it is pieces of meat in gravy but you could try mashing the food to make a paste and add a couple of tablespoons of water to increase fluids, if possible, eliminate dry food or minimize the amount.
I give mine one capsule of Nutracys daily , I'm in the UK so don't know if you can get this but Cystease is very similar and can be bought from Amazon.
When mine has a flare up I give D-Mannose and Cornsilk, both are natural and these help a lot.
As for the separation anxiety, I have no experience but maybe try leaving some clothing that you have worn in the places he sleeps so your smell is on them and may give him some comfort.
I just ordered some cystease, cornsilk and D-Mannose. I'm hoping some of these will help along with everything else. I also talked with the vet tech(my vet is gone until the 5th). I went and got some hills cd urine wet food and hills urine cd stress dry. I'm trying to switch her to mostly wet food , it's been a process for the last month because she loves her dry food. I've been trying to just give a little bit of dry at night and as a topper to the wet to get her to eat it. Hopefully she will eat this new food. Also have an appointment for the 5th to discuss antianxiety meds. They will have to sedate her to do an exam because she gets so fractious but we have to bite the bullet and do it because this vet so far has been treating her over the phone as all her episodes have happened on a weekend and we ended up going to er vet. This is so hard to watch her suffer. We are doing renovations on our basement due to a water problem which we can't control so makes it even harder to get her anxiety under control to get her to heal properly.

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Perhaps ask your vet about Zylkene. Our kitty has separation anxiety, but she overgrooms when upset. Zylkene is said to be effective at help cats cope with change. It's not a sedative, and is said to have no sideffects.
We have some, but have yet needed to use it.
I am told you give it to them at least a week before a stressful event may happen, as it can take about that long for it to work but you may start to see a difference in a few days if you start. I believe it can also be used on a regular basis for chronic stress.
Zylkene | Vetoquinol
I will ask the vet when we go in on the 5th. So far they mentioned amytriptylline and fluoxetine. I've read that zoloft is used too with less side effects. I just have to trust they will give me one with the least side effects. I'm hoping someone on here has experience with the drugs listed.

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

This should work fine.

Thanks, I've been reading a ton the last few days. I've ordered some natural things for stress and urine health to try before I see the vet on the 5th. Hopefully we can get an antianxiety that will help her without a ton of side effects. I know it takes time to work. Just hard to watch her suffering in and out of the litter box waiting for things to get better. It's been three days and it's not improving much but they said since we have the home renovation issue going on for at least a month it might take her longer to get better. As long as she is peeing even small amounts and eating. Just can't wait to see a pee clumps bigger than a nickel or quarter!!