Another Diarrhea Thread -- I have tried everything

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarah8million

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi There. I wish I had a real update.

I have now switched food and my two kitties still have diarrhea (pudding consistency, not watery) and one has vomited once, which may be unrelated. Otherwise, they are normal, playful cats with healthy coats.

After taking a break while I did the food transition, I am restarted the S Boulardii and probiotics since they can't really hurt. I am also maintaining the Blissful Belly "easily digestible" diet that worked for my younger cat's sibling who is still with the foster so that I am not throwing more variables at these poor cats. I am back to my original belief that this has to be an infection of some kind that hasn't shown up on 2 PCR tests and beginning to strongly suspect t. foetus, which I will not treat unless I get a clear positive result.

I have a house call vet coming early next week since my fractious kitten is impossible to get to the vet. The plan is to do another fecal test and have them both examined to rule out anything that I am missing (is there any point in a blood draw?). If the PCR is negative again, I want to try another round of fenbendazole and metro combined since I saw one perfect poop the last time I tried that before both cats started evading every pilling trick I had in the book. (This time I will try concentrated per Daftcat 75's recommendation so that I can hopefully get it into both of them.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarah8million

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wanted to update folks. We are now on month 4 of diarrhea. I have done more vet visits and PCR tests and tried switching to Royal Canin fiber response food… nothing.

When I can get my cats to eat it, pro-pectalin helps a bit but as soon as I stop the poops go back to soft serve. The only thing I have not tried is raw and I guess it’s time.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to update folks. We are now on month 4 of diarrhea. I have done more vet visits and PCR tests and tried switching to Royal Canin fiber response food… nothing.

When I can get my cats to eat it, pro-pectalin helps a bit but as soon as I stop the poops go back to soft serve. The only thing I have not tried is raw and I guess it’s time.
Don’t give up. Try the raw slowly or the cooked meat etc with supplements added in. No grains. That cured my guys.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have gotten lots of great tips to follow up on. I just wondered if the kitties have been checked for Coccidia? That is something that won’t always show up on a test, can easily reinfect a cat and can be persistent. False negatives happen. Retesting might be worth it.
As for inability to medicate, I deal with ferals and this is not something you want to make part of a cat diet regularly but if it is crucial it might be worth using temporarily. I cook bacon and crumble it into tiny pieces and cover the pill with a very small amount. The oils from the bacon seem to hide taste and scent of most medications. The crunch of bacon mimics the crunch of a pill. Again, it isn’t something we normally want to feed our cats but in a pinch I have found it works. You should check with the vet since they have digestive issues but I just wanted to share that tip since , in some cases, it can help. Method of last resort.

CatladyJan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm currently giving my foster momma Metro and so far I think we are having success poop wise. Vet didn't see any parasites in stool and he added lots of sugar to the metro lol

I hope your babies get better soon. It's so frustrating.