Another color question?

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The brown 'tarnishing' in silvers is called rufism and it doesn't look anything like that, no matter purebred or moggie.
The cat in the pics is very obviously brown. Where do you see the silver??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

railntrailcwgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Brown Tortie Tabby, Molly Coddle

http://www.moonwalkers-exotics.co.uk/females.htm
I've been trying to keep my opinion out until now, lol, I'm becoming very educated in feline colors.
In RL she definitely looks like this cat. She has much more red color in her than Molly Coddle but the other colors are really close. Just out of curiosity what would the 'under coat' color close to the skin be on a silver vs a brown? For example if you parted her hair?

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by railNtrailcwgrl

Just out of curiosity what would the 'under coat' color close to the skin be on a silver vs a brown? For example if you parted her hair?
Pure (cold) white, even on rufistic silvers. Browns have brownish warm shade.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah there is a strong contrast when you pull back a silver cat's fur - there are exceptions (low grade silvers) but you can always tell a cat is silver by their frown marks.

Hey don't try and keep your opinion in - you're entitled to your opinion too!

Even though I'm a Longhair judge - I'm still learning every day and that's how it should be. No one should ever think they know everything. Rufusing on silver cats is actually a topic that interests me - apparently it has been bred out of most lines in NZ in PER & EXO, and *touches wood* I'm lucky none of my silvers have had it.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Rufusing on silver cats is actually a topic that interests me - apparently it has been bred out of most lines in NZ in PER & EXO, and *touches wood* I'm lucky none of my silvers have had it.
My foldie had it when he was younger, herited it from his mom (Russian import). Now it seems he has outgrown it.
It was mostly visible in sunlight, and even the rufistic hairs had clearly silver roots.