Annual Feces Check Required For Kitty On A Raw Diet?

Sallysoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 1yr old plus kitty has been on 100% raw diet for almost 6mths. Raw human grade boneless pork & chicken with EzComplete premix. The vet has called me up for his annual vaccine booster. I may defer the booster jab to later of the year since he is an indoor cat. However I have this doubt wheather is it a must or rather recommended to have an annual feces test to rule out any worms, etc? Any comment and advise that you guys can give, especially your cats are on raw diet? Thank you.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't say if it's a 'must', but I would always rather have a fecal test done than give wormer than wasn't needed ;)

I'll be interested to see what experienced raw feeders think.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know some vets ask for annual feces checks for all cats. I’ve never heard of raw fed animals being singled out. If you’re concerned about your cat’s health it can’t hurt, but I don’t think it’s necessary either if your cat is happy and healthy. Cats can get parasites from dry food too.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:yeah: Not to mention from fleas.

There's never any harm in a fecal check, but I've only ever had one cat (out of MANY) tested once - when we were trying to diagnose her stomach upset.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don't get the types of worms they test for from eating raw food. I don't think I've ever had my cats feces tested. I do give them a broad-spectrum wormer if I see a single flea on any of the cats or if the dog brings one in. I've fed a raw diet for a long time.