Animal Rescue Operation In Urgent Need!

PussAndPawsRescue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, My name is Cassandra. My partner and I have been doing animal rescue for over a decade. We do rehabilitation, fostering, special needs care, TNR, and have several managed feral colonies across two counties. Due to health issues deeply affecting our financial situation, our rescue efforts are in jeopardy and our dream of one day building our own animal sanctuary is slipping further away. We've already exhausted help from other local organizations. We've already stopped all TNR actions for lack of resources. If we don't find some help soon, we run the risk of having to stop caring for our managed feral colonies as early as next week. There's no one else in my area to pick up where we left off if we stop. I'm terrified of that day. If you have the ability, please consider donating to help us keep these cats looked after. If you can't personally donate, feel free to share the below link on your social media accounts. Any amount is appreciated! ($20, for example, buys a 35 lb bag of cat food and we go through at least 5 a week!)

Click here to support Save the Cats! organized by Cassandra Reed

Attachments

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
MOD NOTE:

To all members, a reminder that it is your responsibility to check out these solicitations to the best of your ability. Thecatsite.com does not stand behind any solicitation of funds for any reasons that appear in the forums unless explicitly authorized.

Please note that this is a generic note added after all pleas for money.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: Welcome to TCS, Puss&Paws! In my experience, crowdfunding has fatigued potential donors so I highly recommend offering alternatives as well. Some people call in donations directly to the veterinarian hospital. Others will buy supplies online that you pick up in person, such as at WalMart, Tractor Supply. Accepting funds through PayPal is also sometimes more convenient with a smaller surcharge.
I am aware of how underserved Indiana is with some areas, especially considering the draconian laws & ordinances regarding cats! Prayers and vibes for successful rescue efforts as well as recovered health & improved circumstances for you :vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PussAndPawsRescue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:welcomesign: Welcome to TCS, Puss&Paws! In my experience, crowdfunding has fatigued potential donors so I highly recommend offering alternatives as well. Some people call in donations directly to the veterinarian hospital. Others will buy supplies online that you pick up in person, such as at WalMart, Tractor Supply. Accepting funds through PayPal is also sometimes more convenient with a smaller surcharge.
I am aware of how underserved Indiana is with some areas, especially considering the draconian laws & ordinances regarding cats! Prayers and vibes for successful rescue efforts as well as recovered health & improved circumstances for you :vibes::vibes::vibes:
Thanks for reaching out, catsknowme. Your suggestions are helpful. I'm going to post some information in a few for Walmart pick-up in case would be more inclined to help if they knew their funds were going straight to cat supplies (they would be through the gofundme, too, but I realize I am effectively a stranger to most). I'm also going to call my vet when they reopen after the holidays to see if they could accept payment on my behalf. I suspect they will be willing to help.

You're not wrong about Indiana. There are, of course, some good people here who care about animals and do good work, but they seem so few most days my partner and I feel very alone. I could go on and on with stories of times we've been harassed by citizens and cops for trying to help animals. It's very disheartening. We've even been told by local organizations that they won't help us anymore because we "do too much" which is just ridiculous. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions and vibes. Have a good day!

PussAndPawsRescue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If anyone would be more willing to help by catfood or litter directly, we could do pick up at Walmart. Any funds given to the gofundme would also go to these supplies, but as I am a stranger to most, this may set some people's minds at ease.

Info for Walmart pick-up:
Name: Cassandra Reed
Email: [email protected]
4801 W Clara Ln, Muncie, IN 47304

Suggestions to buy:
Special Kitty complete nutrition dry food 35 lb bag (about $20, we go through at least 5 per week)
Special Kitty Classic Paté Wet Cat Food Variety Pack, 13 oz, 12 count (about $9 in my area, we go through about 10 of these a week in the winter to help bulk up the outside kitties)
Purina Tidy Cats 24/7 Performance Clumping Cat Litter, 35-lb Pail (just under $14 a pail, we go through about 8 of these a week as well)

These suggestions are not to say we would not accept other varieties, these are just the best deals for your money and are given to make searching for goods easier on those who might help. If you have any direct questions, you could email me at the address given above. Thank you in advance!

PussAndPawsRescue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: We have enough food to feed the managed feral colonies today but tomorrow and Thursday I have to make some tough decisions (I don't get paid again until Friday). Between food and gas it looks like we will be too short on funds to make it to payday. If anyone could help by ordering food for walmart pickup (a bag of cereal is the minimum to feed them, though wetfood is usually given), I would not have the words to express my gratitude. We buy very little for ourselves, no Christmas presents were bought this year, which is fine. Any help is appreciated. I hate to sound desperate, but do not know how else to share the truth.

PussAndPawsRescue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can also set up a wish list with Amazon, if you use them, and link it here, as so many of us use Amazon.
Thank you for the suggestion. It feels like that would cause people who might help to spend more money though. I just looked and the 12 pack of Special Kitty 13 oz. cans that is $9 at Walmart is $20.90 on Amazon! I am very surprised by that level of markup. That being said, I'll look into it further. I'd give a thousand methods to help if only someone would reach out to help.

Most people think I'm crazy for having given up so much of my income to this. If I only took care of myself my employment would be enough. But when I started my financial situation was different then health issues cut it in half. I only say this to hopefully help people understand. Thanks,

PussAndPawsRescue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If anyone would be more willing to help by catfood or litter directly, we could do pick up at Walmart. Any funds given to the gofundme would also go to these supplies, but as I am a stranger to most, this may set some people's minds at ease.

Info for Walmart pick-up:
Name: Cassandra Reed
Email: [email protected]
4801 W Clara Ln, Muncie, IN 47304

Suggestions to buy:
Special Kitty complete nutrition dry food 35 lb bag (about $20, we go through at least 5 per week)
Special Kitty Classic Paté Wet Cat Food Variety Pack, 13 oz, 12 count (about $9 in my area, we go through about 10 of these a week in the winter to help bulk up the outside kitties)
Purina Tidy Cats 24/7 Performance Clumping Cat Litter, 35-lb Pail (just under $14 a pail, we go through about 8 of these a week as well)

These suggestions are not to say we would not accept other varieties, these are just the best deals for your money and are given to make searching for goods easier on those who might help. If you have any direct questions, you could email me at the address given above. Thank you in advance!
Update. Hi, I received a note that the Walmart addresd I listed might not be showing up for some. I just wanted to say the one listed is closest to my home, but I could pick-up at any Walmart in Muncie, Indiana or Anderson, Indiana. I would just need to know which one to go to. I have managed colonies in both counties, so it would not be an extra burden to go to a different store. Thanks!

PussAndPawsRescue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: I just want to say thank you exdlessly to the person who donated! I do not know if you wish your name to be shared, but you are truly a good person and a friend to the animals. I am literally in tears as I spent all day racking my brain for solutions to buy food tomorrow. We have a long road still to find a sustainable way to keep doing this work long term. But you are keeping our hope and our "extended family" alive. Thank you!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you begun the process of being a registered and recognized rescue group? I highly suggest you do so, as you will then be eligible for certain grants for spay/neuter programs, and possible for food (not sure on that one). AND it would allow you to place any cats that are friendly on sites like PetFinders.

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep, making an Amazon Wish List should help.

Do you have a Facebook page for your efforts?

Posting frequent pictures/updates should help as well.

Hang in there! :heartshape:

PussAndPawsRescue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you begun the process of being a registered and recognized rescue group? I highly suggest you do so, as you will then be eligible for certain grants for spay/neuter programs, and possible for food (not sure on that one). AND it would allow you to place any cats that are friendly on sites like PetFinders.
Yes, we've started taking steps: creating the mission statement, we ideally would have one more person for a board of directors but two is the minimum. We just haven't paid the fees to file paperwork for 501(c)3 non-profit status, yet. It seems like one of those practical things that keeps getting put on the back burner for all the daily stuff that comes up: feedings, med passing, vet visits, cleaning up after dirty wildlings, etcs. That is on our list of new year's resolutions, for sure!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Excellent! That will open up all sorts of avenues for you. I know how easy it is to push back due to the daily grind, but it is important for the long haul. In most places, the BoD do not all have to live in the State in which the Non-Profit is located. Check on this, as you may have a friend elsewhere who could be added as a third member.

PussAndPawsRescue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep, making an Amazon Wish List should help.

Do you have a Facebook page for your efforts?

Posting frequent pictures/updates should help as well.

Hang in there! :heartshape:
Yes, we do have a facebook page. It is: Puss & Paws Animal Rescue

I admit I don't update as frequently as I should. I'm kind of terrible at social media because I'm always so busy, but I'm trying to get better at it for the cat's sake. I also recently created a twitter account that I update more frequently. My handle there is @pussandpaws. Check us out.

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alley Cat Allies may be able to help you with food for the cats, and guide you to other resources. They offered to send food for the colony we help feed, but we didn't need it.
You can contact them here: Online Assistance Form Page 1
Just fill out the form and explain your situation. They were very helpful when I contacted them. You can also check their Feral Friends Network to see if there is anyone near you who could help. Directions are on their site. Feral Friends Network
In addition, you could try joining some groups on Facebook. Just search "feral cat" under "groups" on Facebook and some groups should pop up, which you can then join. Connecting with other cat lovers will help!

PussAndPawsRescue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

I haven't checked in in a while about our situation. The act of asking for help is often met with lots of good energy but not a lot of follow through, which makes it disheartening and exhausting. That statement is not meant as judgement towards any individual as I know most of us are working people (not millionaires) and especially the type of folks who frequent this sort of outlet often have their own animals to care for. That being said, after weeks of being as active as possible on social media while also working from early morning to late night (well after midnight most days), left me in a deep depression. I put all my energy toward "side-hustling" and trying to find paths forward outside of social media to very little success.
I've had four interviews in the last month but no job offers, so still no better paying/rescue sustaining job in site, only one online donation to our gofundme (from this site: thank you again!), and no response from the dozen grant letters I've sent.

I am grateful to report that through my selling nearly everything not nailed down in my house and a little help from family, I have up until this point continued managing/feeding our feral colonies daily! There has been no new trap and release, which is hard especially considered one colony in particular is in a rough location. This week though has been another especially rocky one with some unavoidable vet bills eating into our feral colony budget. If anyone has the ability to donate or, perhaps even better, order some cat food to my local Walmart soon it would be extremely appreciated. As per my above post, you'll find my contact info. Any Walmart in Muncie or Anderson, Indiana would be acceptable. Thank you to anyone who reads this.

Sincerely,

Tired and Stressed (aka Cassandra)

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Cassandra! I know it seems like you're failing your ferals but you're doing more for them than anyone else so keep that in mind. You've made huge personal sacrifices for their wellbeing and that's not something a lot of people would do. Please don't lose hope. I've purchased a 44 pound bag of Special Kitty to tide your guys over. It should be available for pickup today at the Walmart you listed above. The pick-up person I listed is you, Cassandra Reed, and I also gave them your email address. Give your colony some love from me and be well.