Animal control officer violations and my cats are confiscated and taken to a shelter - help!

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I hope that this situation worked out for the cats/kittens and the caregiver. Hopefully an attorney gave you needed assistance.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are probably going to need an attorney on this. Contact this group: Joeys Legacy, Inc., Although they deal primarily with veterinary malpractice, they do keep a roster of attorneys in all states who deal with animal issues, and may be able to help you find the right person to address this. Best of luck, and let us know what is going on.

APS (Animal Protective Services), like CPS (Child Protective Services) NEVER reveal who reported an incident to them. And they should not. There are too many vindictive people out there who would go after a reporter of violations. NOT SAYING THAT YOU WOULD, but those people exist.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am aware of situations where a person lost or temporarily lost kitties to a wrong seizure. It happens. One complaint can lead to confiscation and it isn’t always because of neglect. If you are all good on things, maybe www.animallawsource.org could help. Or http://guardiansofrescue.org ? There is a thread on TCS about providing for our pets during illness or death and it has a link to law professionals. You could try all of these. I don’t know specifics but get legal help. Don’t give up! Act quickly. There should be some way to pay fees to get some out or find a licensed rescue group to recover them until it is all straightened out. Google feral or stray rescues/fosters in you city, county, town and state to search. Best friends.org might help. Alley cat allies might help and the Feral Cat coalition. If you can just be assured that they will be cared for, you have time to work out details or what is required to recover them. If you can find a local lawyer who is an animal lover, you may get help that way. Sending my heart to you.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to point out, this thread is almost 5 years old. Hopefully the situation was sorted years ago.
~ Yes true - but I keep seeing these situations in the U.S. and during search the thread popped up. If time permits I will research some of this with civil rights in mind.
People who are hoarding pets or feeding strays should not be treated this way. This is almost always a psychological issue. These folks need a social worker to call on them - not the hard fist of law enforcement doing search & seizure without warning and warrant.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Yes true - but I keep seeing these situations in the U.S. and during search the thread popped up. If time permits I will research some of this with civil rights in mind.
People who are hoarding pets or feeding strays should not be treated this way. This is almost always a psychological issue. These folks need a social worker to call on them - not the hard fist of law enforcement doing search & seizure without warning and warrant.
Yes, indeed! And not all animal shelter facilities are equal - some cats are put in wire cages as small as the carriers that some hoarders keep them in! I have seen single cats live in deplorable conditions and I have seen 10+ cats live in a clean house with plenty of clean litterboxes, top notch food & vet care. This thread is as pertinent today as it ever was. If anyone has any more links or suggestions, please post!

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, just making sure people know the original poster is unlikely to be even seeing this or update us on what happened, they haven't been on since may 21 2015. Just seemed kind of random to be reviving an old dead thread instead of making a new one since you seem to be focused on hording situations which doesn't sound like the case in the original post.

They said they were in the process of getting the kittens fixed and finding homes, that does not sound like a horder or someone with psychological issues. It sounds more like the OP just got in over their head with trying to help cats in need, which happens and is not a sign of a metal illness. They should have tried to reach out to a shelter or rescue for help, but like a lot of people probably figured they could handle it themselves and a lot of those places are already stretched as it is and may not have been able to help.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know where you live but in St Louis, if feral and you have to leave outside, be sure the ears are tipped. Here Animal Control will NOT take a cat that has a tipped ear. To them a tipped ear means they have a caretaker and well taken care of. (or hopefully) We do have a law that limits pets but obviously my village doesn't enforce it (one house had 80 cats which is where the colony I have came from). Laws have changed here in the past 5 years and maybe they have changed there as well. Some of us are even trying to pass a law that those of us who care for ferals register as a caretaker to avoid such problems. And that does include even taming and bringing inside. And microchip. As of last year all new TNRs are microchipped so in the event they wander or are stolen and recovered they can be quickly returned to the area they were initially released. Google "your city and state name, coding ordinance. There will be a table of contents and pets as well as feral cats are listed there so you know what you are up against.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MoonstoneWolf MoonstoneWolf ... Bravo for your city!! I applaud the efforts of all those who made it happen! In other places, ignorant towns pass laws against feeding outside cats or they set unreasonable limits such as 4 animals total (ex: 2 dogs, 1 cat, 1 parrot) It is my hobby to keep tabs on newstories about cats. In our small town, it is very dogcentric so our loan spay/neuter program, while wildly popular, is much more responsive to requests to get a dog spayed rather than a cat.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
MoonstoneWolf MoonstoneWolf ... Bravo for your city!! I applaud the efforts of all those who made it happen! In other places, ignorant towns pass laws against feeding outside cats or they set unreasonable limits such as 4 animals total (ex: 2 dogs, 1 cat, 1 parrot) It is my hobby to keep tabs on newstories about cats. In our small town, it is very dogcentric so our loan spay/neuter program, while wildly popular, is much more responsive to requests to get a dog spayed rather than a cat.
Yep but on the other hand they allowed a man to hoard 80 plus cats which some had to be put down at time of TNR due to malnutrition. And they do nothing as far as trying to get the stray dogs that people just dump on feral cat colony caretakers. So while I am glad they take care of the feral cats, they do need to make sure that hoarding is not allowed and in my opinion, 80 plus cats is hoarding.