Angry At The Vet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mylittlepony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree about the blood tests, and not interpreting correctly what they are seeing, it happens in the human medical world too. I feel like you, the trust is gone and if I had the chance again I would always 2nd guess, 2nd opinion, read, read, read, although I felt as if I did read as much as I could about their ailments. Now I don't feel as if I would have another cat because I couldn't go through this again, I don't know enough and so I have to put my faith in someone else and that is not something I want to do, I understand how you feel.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course you feel bad now and don't want other cats because you fear that any issue wouldn't be take in account properly, but one day you will fall for two tiny eyes that will ask you for love and food.
When that day comes you'll know that you'll have to refer to a different vet, and you'll know that their words won't be gold anymore. The doubt will always be with you, unfortunately...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think that there are good, reputable veterinarians who went to university and studied with the thought of doing more good than harm.

I thought I finally had found one of those, and she is, yet why couldn't she and her veterinarian partner give me information as to why it occurred, any meds or diet changes and what else to do going forward, when my Big Guy's liver numbers came back elevated.

I'm the one who had to do the research, discovered the possible menadione link, learned about milk thistle and decided a water filter would be a good thing. (sigh)

It's frustrating and scary, even for those of us who aren't dealing with immediate life and death situations. I realize that some illnesses happen very quickly in a cat's body, and there are some vets who really go the extra mile to work with the owners.

I most likely will open my heart and home to another cat when my Big Guy departs over the Rainbow Bridge. But still, sometimes it seems as though we pet owners are fighting an uphill battle with both the pet food industry, which is quite possibly a cause of a fair bit of harm, and the veterinarians AS WELL AS their assistants who we need to/want to/have to rely on to be "in the moment" with our pets and to take as much care with them as they would with their own.

For instance, every time my cat is facing anesthesia, I'm requesting that they be as careful as it is possible to be with the intubation and also if/when they turn him over. It seems as though I'm reading more and more that cats are being sent home with sore throats and loss of their voices and worse. This should NOT be happening and shouldn't be accepted as normal.

Yet, it's not easy, at all. We were just in to get stitches on a human finger. A doctor and an assistant looked at it, both said they'd irrigate the wound to clean it prior to stitching. I and my partner are smart and usually outspoken people, and neither one of us spoke up when the doctor began to stitch without cleaning the wound. :censored:

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm the one who had to do the research, discovered the possible menadione link, learned about milk thistle and decided a water filter would be a good thing. (sigh)
By water filter you mean those things like Brita?
I had one of them, and I purchased it mainly to give my cats a better water, but then I had read that those filters are good only in the first couple of days, then they get soiled and hold bacteria and grow moulds inside and towards the end of their life they are quite toxic.
So I quit using it.

For instance, every time my cat is facing anesthesia, I'm requesting that they be as careful as it is possible to be with the intubation and also if/when they turn him over. It seems as though I'm reading more and more that cats are being sent home with sore throats and loss of their voices and worse. This should NOT be happening and shouldn't be accepted as normal.
Pallina came home with a rough voice from her CT scan in October. It was the first time in her life she was intubated, and she got a rough voice for three days!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The water filter I have is the style that fits on the end of the kitchen faucet, and it has a replaceable filter that is removed and a new one put in about every 20 to 30 days. A red light starts to blink when the removeable filter is used up and not doing the job any longer. The one I have is a PUR but not for any specific reason other than the warehouse grocery store I go to carries this brand.

Raevyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone else experienced this? Harry died in February and I feel so angry at how it happened. First of all this is my 2nd cat to be treated by the same vet. She diagnosed Clark with diabetes and a year of injections, changes in insulin, blood tests, never managed to stabalise him, then I asked for a scan and it was a tumour in his stomach. We had to end it there as he was so weak by then. Then Harry, he didnt seem quite himself and she diagnosed, before the blood tests as hyperthyroid, he went onto medication and although he didnt seem any different, I perservered. Beginning of December he seemed ok, we have photo's of him looking relaxed and content. Then he had a blood check and she rang and said I had to increase the dose which I did and he became ill, listless, not eating, so another blood test which came back that he was overdosed, so drop the dose. Then he got constipation, after 2 sedations and enema's, which didn't work she said she thought that getting the thyroid removed would be the best course so I did that. He didnt improve the way I had hoped and he also had constipation. Took him back and she said she would sedate him and see what it was. Rang to say, she saw a growth and wanted to remove it, he stayed in overnight and then had the op but she rang to say it was too bad and I had to have him pts. I dont feel the thyroid op was the way to go now and also why didnt she see the problem with the previous 2 sedations, I can't believe the problem arose and was visible in just 2 weeks. I know I cant do anything about it now but I cant get rid of the anger and the feeling that Harry was put through more than was necessary or that if the problem was spotted earlier something could have been done.
I think I would feel angry too. Even if it wasn't the vets fault when stuff like this happens we need somewhere to put the blame. its just human nature and since you put your faith in the trained professionals knowledge naturally that seems the most appropriate place to put it. All you wanted to do was make Harry feel better and thats all the vet wanted too. Sometimes its hard to figure out whats going on while weighing the animals quality of life after getting so many tests done. You do what you can for them though, and don't beat yourself up over things you can't control. You loved him and he's not in pain anymore.