Anal Prolapse, After Surgery.

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I have adopted a 9 month old cat, and she's the sweetest and cutest thing in the world :)
The lady that was fostering her said she had a surgery for anal prolapse and she has a little red skin coming out but its nothing much. I was wondering if anyone here has a cat with the same thing? To me it looks like the anal is usually a little wet ? is that normal? can it get bigger?

I just would like to know if anyone has a cat with the same thing?

Thanks!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you talk to her former foster mom and ask what the Vet said about it, and whether the "wetness" was normal? If she doesn't know, perhaps you could talk to your own Vet about what to expect.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i had a cat that had a prolapsed rectum. the first time they stitched her up, she tore out the sutures and there was some wetness and her rectum prolapsed again. the second time, the vet used sturdier stitches and i can't remember if we used a cone - it's been quite a while.

my question is how long ago the surgery was performed. if you don't know or the foster doesn't know, i'd take the cat to your vet. heck, i'd take the cat anyway. when our cat's stitches came out, she had no wetness or redness, so i'm wondering if there's an issue or sutures torn out too soon.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We had a similar experience when we adopted a cat a long time ago but the health issue was different. However, my vet contacted the foster parent's vet and had them fax the records to her - this might be helpful for you. Thank you for adopting a precious girl, what's her name?

BTW, welcome to TCS! :wave3: I hope you will check out the helpful Articles and other resources on the forum. If you haven't done so please feel free to introduce yourself here: New Cats on the Block

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you talk to her former foster mom and ask what the Vet said about it, and whether the "wetness" was normal? If she doesn't know, perhaps you could talk to your own Vet about what to expect.
Since we didnt know much about it or what it actually was we didnt, but she said shes all healthy besides the skin on her butt. we are actually taking her to a vet tomorrow. From what adopting lady said was that she already had the surgery and thats how it healed. i noticed the wetness a day later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
n
i had a cat that had a prolapsed rectum. the first time they stitched her up, she tore out the sutures and there was some wetness and her rectum prolapsed again. the second time, the vet used sturdier stitches and i can't remember if we used a cone - it's been quite a while.

my question is how long ago the surgery was performed. if you don't know or the foster doesn't know, i'd take the cat to your vet. heck, i'd take the cat anyway. when our cat's stitches came out, she had no wetness or redness, so i'm wondering if there's an issue or sutures torn out too soon.
We had a similar experience when we adopted a cat a long time ago but the health issue was different. However, my vet contacted the foster parent's vet and had them fax the records to her - this might be helpful for you. Thank you for adopting a precious girl, what's her name?

BTW, welcome to TCS! :wave3: I hope you will check out the helpful Articles and other resources on the forum. If you haven't done so please feel free to introduce yourself here: New Cats on the Block
Her name is Chloe and shes lovely.
We have actually took her for a 2week trial but i already know i wont be able to give her back. So shes not fully adopted. I just want to make sure that its normal, i guess i find out tomorrow after the vet :)