Anal Discharge…

BlessedCharmant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Adopted Tootsie about 3-4 weeks ago, from the Humane Society. She is about 2-3 months old, and fully fixed. The discharge is slimy; similar to snot or the clear part of semen. It has no odor. It is mostly clear, but not quite. She is energetic, playful, full of life and eats plenty. Very affectionate and still is purring. I could definitely be wrong, but it seems to occur mostly when I give her the wet food from the can? That’s about a once or twice a week treat. Normally she eats dry food and drinks bottled water. Any ideas? I realize all comments are ideas and suggestions only. Not medical advice.

Thank you all!!!

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is more than likely mucous. Does it ever occur with poop? Does she poop normally? I can only imagine that if it has to do with the wet food is because of one of the ingredients that doesn't agree with her system - not just wet food in general. Was this happening before she left the Humane Society?

Very pretty kitty! It seems she was spayed very early, but I have no idea how that would have any connection. However, are you sure the discharge is not from her vagina or even perhaps her urethra? Either way, it would probably be best to take her to your vet and let them exam her. If you can collect some of the discharge, you could consider taking that to the vets for analysis - just check with them to see if there would be any benefit in doing so.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlessedCharmant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is more than likely mucous. Does it ever occur with poop? Does she poop normally? I can only imagine that if it has to do with the wet food is because of one of the ingredients that doesn't agree with her system - not just wet food in general. Was this happening before she left the Humane Society?

Very pretty kitty! It seems she was spayed very early, but I have no idea how that would have any connection. However, are you sure the discharge is not from her vagina or even perhaps her urethra? Either way, it would probably be best to take her to your vet and let them exam her. If you can collect some of the discharge, you could consider taking that to the vets for analysis - just check with them to see if there would be any benefit in doing so.
Her poop is very healthy looking. Firm and regular. Today it seems she may have a slightly runny nose. Yes, she was spayed at 3 weeks old I think. Or 4. Seemed awfully young to me too… lol Thank you! I’ve never in my life had a cat this affectionate. She literally kisses and rubs on my face for HOURS each day. Nearly obsessively. Sleeps with me at night. Lays on my chest. She is a true sweetheart and I just don’t want her sick. But it’s definitely from her butt. I had to use a baby wipe on her anus to clean the mucus off because I didn’t want it getting on the bed. I will have to find a vet. Is PetSmart vets okay?

BlessedCharmant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So she was laying on my chest and shoulder, with her butt near my ear and I heard weird sounds—gas I think—coming out. So I thought she may have discharged. So I put her in a position where I could peek and this is what I saw… See how her anus is open? I’ve never saw her butt look like this… Is it normal?! She pooped about 1-1 1/2 hours ago… Please advise me…

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I will have to find a vet. Is PetSmart vets okay?
I believe Banfield is the institution typically used by PetSmart. You will get varying opinions on them, some good, some not so good. But that is probably true of most all vets. If you don't have family/friends/co-workers/neighbors to ask for vet recommendations, what about the Humane Society where you adopted her? Just giving you other options to pursue.
See how her anus is open? I’ve never saw her butt look like this… Is it normal?!
I am not sure from the pic. It looks like there might be some irritation going on - and that could explain the mucous. The best thing you can do is have it looked at by a vet.

BlessedCharmant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I believe Banfield is the institution typically used by PetSmart. You will get varying opinions on them, some good, some not so good. But that is probably true of most all vets. If you don't have family/friends/co-workers/neighbors to ask for vet recommendations, what about the Humane Society where you adopted her? Just giving you other options to pursue.

I am not sure from the pic. It looks like there might be some irritation going on - and that could explain the mucous. The best thing you can do is have it looked at by a vet.
That is a great idea! Monday, I will ask the Humane Society who they recommend. I appreciate the advice!