Amlodipine and Lethargy

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 16 y/o has been on .625 Amlodipine per day for almost three weeks now. He has stage 2 CKD and his bp was very high at 200+, so I know he has to have the med. It has brought his bp down to around 145, measured at the vet clinic. He has been so lethargic since starting the drug. Even at his age he was still playful and happy. Now, he just sleeps and seems so dull. He has lost that little spark that has always defined his personality. I am so sad about that. Is there any hope that he will become acclimated to the drug and return to his old self?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My previous cat was on Amlodipine, and she showed the symptoms you describe when she was at a dosage twice as much, but returned to quite herself when the dosage was halved to 0.625 a day.
She had CKD, but with a lower BP.
I believe it might have something to do with the cat's weight?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My 18+ yo cat, Stage 3 CKD, has been on 0.625mg amlodipine since January. She was already lethargic, but I did not see any increase after starting it. Did the vet also do blood work to see if your cat's kidney values changed any?

Usually, if the med causes lethargy it is because the dosage is too high. I would have the vet re-check your cats BP and her blood values again. Amlodipine can impact the potassium level, which could attribute to some degree of lethargy, although I don't know how common that is.

It is possible that your cat might do better on another BP med, so you can discuss the lethargy with your vet when you have your cat's BP rechecked and see if another med may be more appropriate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My previous cat was on Amlodipine, and she showed the symptoms you describe when she was at a dosage twice as much, but returned to quite herself when the dosage was halved to 0.625 a day.
She had CKD, but with a lower BP.
I believe it might have something to do with the cat's weight?
[/QUOTE

Purrcy weighs around 7 lbs, give or take a few ounces.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My 18+ yo cat, Stage 3 CKD, has been on 0.625mg amlodipine since January. She was already lethargic, but I did not see any increase after starting it.
Ditto, same for our cat who is approx. 13 yrs. old and 9.5 lbs. I agree to recheck his blood pressure, most vets will take more than one reading during an exam. Carleton has been fine on 1/4 tablet of Amlodipine :crossfingers: Weather is usually what affects our cat's lethargy, e.g. he does not do well in warmer temps.

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 18+ yo cat, Stage 3 CKD, has been on 0.625mg amlodipine since January. She was already lethargic, but I did not see any increase after starting it. Did the vet also do blood work to see if your cat's kidney values changed any?

Usually, if the med causes lethargy it is because the dosage is too high. I would have the vet re-check your cats BP and her blood values again. Amlodipine can impact the potassium level, which could attribute to some degree of lethargy, although I don't know how common that is.

It is possible that your cat might do better on another BP med, so you can discuss the lethargy with your vet when you have your cat's BP rechecked and see if another med may be more appropriate.
His kidney values had actually improved.

i’m going to call the vet if things don’t get better.

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ditto, same for our cat who is approx. 13 yrs. old and 9.5 lbs. I agree to recheck his blood pressure, most vets will take more than one reading during an exam. Carleton has been fine on 1/4 tablet of Amlodipine :crossfingers: Weather is usually what affects our cat's lethargy, e.g. he does not do well in warmer temps.
His bp was checked two weeks after starting the med and was down to 145 from a high of over 200. I worry that it may actually be lower than that when he is home and not stressed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is why at least 3 readings are done in one vet visit, with a break in between them to help counter a potential stress factor. And sometimes a second set of readings - days later - are done before meds are administered. Although, a lot of vets think that BP is impacted by only maybe 20 or so points if stressed in involved. I am sure that - like everything else - varies by cat.