Am I Too Worried/hyperaware Or Should I Call The Vets?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not one for medicating unless necessary. I think with her i would just keep everything as calm as possible. Except play time, if she will play thats great. If not just give her a bit of time.

Of course if she is not back to normal in a week or so i would call the vet.
Keeping the pretty little girl in my thoughts, and sending her hugs :grouphug:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's getting super hot in the UK so I'm sure that's not making things better. I've been cooling her down by wetting my hands and stroking her. That's definitely made her feel better since she decided to chase a fly!

She's been playing a little bit today but when there was a loud noise, she went a bit skittish and went to her old hiding spot. I think she'll be alright, she was like that when she first joined the family. She'll still play but not for too long. Must find her favourite toy!

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today, again, is a really hot day so we had the blinds closed during the hotter parts of the day. Nalah chased a moth and few flies to the point she almost killed one! Now she's sleeping it off. She still somehow has slept the entire night on and off but still laying where she was.

How long does it take for kittens/cats to forget an incident? She's still avoiding going parts of the house unless I'm with her.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think cats of all ages tend to slow down a bit in very hot weather.
How To Keep Cats Cool

I know very tiny, young kittens have a hard time regulating their body temps, but I'm not sure if that still holds true for kittens who are 3 months old. (@Sarthur2, would you know?)

My cat gets a bit lethargic in the late afternoons and most of the night during the summers (that's when it is the hottest in our apartment where I live). But she is a upbeat, fiesty, holy terror from 2am to 8am, when the temperature has finally cooled down inside! So it may just ebb and flow according to the body temp. This is not to say that you shouldn't still keep an eye on her, and if you are at all concerned in the days ahead, contact the vet!

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Behaving differently when you are gone is normal. It means she misses you when you are not home or has separation anxiety.

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Behaving differently when you are gone is normal. It means she misses you when you are not home or has separation anxiety.
I mean more of, if I go places in the house like my kitchen, she doesn’t want to go in unless I am there. It’s not separation anxiety as she’s fine if I go upstairs or elsewhere without her.

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think cats of all ages tend to slow down a bit in very hot weather.
How To Keep Cats Cool

I know very tiny, young kittens have a hard time regulating their body temps, but I'm not sure if that still holds true for kittens who are 3 months old. (@Sarthur2, would you know?)

My cat gets a bit lethargic in the late afternoons and most of the night during the summers (that's when it is the hottest in our apartment where I live). But she is a upbeat, fiesty, holy terror from 2am to 8am, when the temperature has finally cooled down inside! So it may just ebb and flow according to the body temp. This is not to say that you shouldn't still keep an eye on her, and if you are at all concerned in the days ahead, contact the vet!
She somehow isn’t a zoomer in the sunrise hours anymore. Probably due to heat, I guess since upstairs is warmer. That’s my concern. The vets put it down to the heat when I called.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heat will definitely cause cats to slow down. She’s probably also sore. I had a cat get wedged behind a piece of furniture many years ago as it was being moved, and she was sore and subdued for about a week or so. Being unable to breath had to be terrifying for your kitty but it’s just as likely she’s got soft tissue soreness and the heat isn’t helping. I wonder if the vet would be ok with you putting something like an ice pack on her for a few minutes every now and then.

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to update you guys on Nalah.

She's gone back to her hyperactive self! I really did underestimated the effect the heat had on her when it was super hot and humid.

Thank you all for reassuring me and letting me know when not to call the vets :thanks:

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure. My cats are indoor only and have only been dewormed once since they were kittens (They are 9 now) I'm in the US though

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guys are indoor only cats. I use advantage monthly for most of the year, i usually do not in Dec, Jan and Feb, when its cold. but it deals with fleas and round worms, and heart worms. mites, lice, that kind of thing.

Then twice a year the get profender, which is a broad spectrum parasite medication . Even indoor cats can get worms. Usually from a flea, or bug they may catch.

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm guess I've been lucky then. My cats have only had fleas/tapeworms the once. I hope it stays that way!

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Isn't that what it's usually done? My vet advised and I've not really seen anything to say they aren't to be?
Only if you are referring to hearworm prevention with Revolution. Deworming is a one-time treatment for kittens.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet does not see deworming as a one time treatment, neither does my moms vet, or my sons, their cats get regular treatments as well. Its Not just for kittens. Indoor out door cats need deworming on a regular basis. Indoor only cats need it a time or two a year to be safest. Or at least tested yearly. And if you have mosquitoes, like we do, then heart-worms are a concern. The monthly use of advantage takes care of that as well.