Am I Too Worried/hyperaware Or Should I Call The Vets?

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten, Nalah, who's 3 months got in a bit of an accident on Thursday evening - UK time btw. I took her to the vets right away and there they treated her overnight after giving her oxygen and x-raying her for any broken bones and discharged her as she was all healthy.

When I brought her home, she was fine and kept smelling the house again and then pretty much slept the entire night on and off.

Now I am noticing she's sleeping a lot more and reluctant to play. Probably because she's just had needles prodded and poked in her but it's just that she's sleeping A LOT. I know cats sleep a lot but it almost seems like she's constantly lethargic since she'd be awake for 10-20 minutes and then head back to sleep without playing. She's not like her bright self. However, she is healthy and eating well and peeing too.

Am I too worried/hyperaware or should I call the vets?

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
She is not healthy. You might be panicking too much about the severity because a lot of problems cause it, but something s obviously wrong with her. Call the vet on Monday and watch her, but don't got crazy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I might have to. She's brightened up a bit so far this morning but I'll see how today will go. Yesterday was the first full day at home since being at the vets.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be that she was tired, stressed, and in pain from the accident, and the vet visit? If she continues to improve, i wouldn't worry too much. However if in 48 hours or so she is not much better, or if any new symptoms pop up then i would take her back in right away.

Do keep us updated on how she is doing! :goodluck:

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It may be that she was tired, stressed, and in pain from the accident, and the vet visit? If she continues to improve, i wouldn't worry too much. However if in 48 hours or so she is not much better, or if any new symptoms pop up then i would take her back in right away.

Do keep us updated on how she is doing! :goodluck:
She's been grooming herself a lot more since leaving the vets so I think it might be that she's been stressed there plus her arm plaster/bandaid really smelled of antiseptic so that would be believable. It was her first night away from home so I get it if that's the reason but I'll update you guys!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten, Nalah, who's 3 months got in a bit of an accident on Thursday evening - UK time btw. I took her to the vets right away and there they treated her overnight after giving her oxygen and x-raying her for any broken bones and discharged her as she was all healthy. ...

If you don't mind me asking, what happened to her? What did she need oxygen for?
:alright:

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi CatLoverOnWheel !

Exactly what were these "needles" ?

Your invoice should detail any injections she was given.

Were you given 'take home' meds as well ?
She had some bloods taken from her, that's all. However, we weren't given any meds to take home.

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you don't mind me asking, what happened to her? What did she need oxygen for?
:alright:
She basically got in a tight spot in my kitchen but couldn't find her way out so I think she panicked and thought she was stuck and couldn't breathe - I got her out not longer than a minute and got her up and breathing again but the vets wanted to make sure that her sats were alright. I've blocked it now but then, I didn't realise she could get in through there!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Nalah and poor you! Very stressful!

I know when cats and kittens get stressed, it can spike their blood sugar which can make them feel a bit more strange than normal. Sometimes they sleep more afterwards. Hang in there, and keep us posted!

edit: There is a great recent article at TCS,
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

Kittens get into so much trouble, lol!

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually, could the lethargy be because she hasn't been dewormed for July? I have some Panacur/Fenbendazole left over from last month in its original state but obviously opened each time its been used. I don't suppose I could give it to her, could I?

I can't help myself from googling. I've had growth spurt come up and FIP. I don't think it's the latter since she has no other symptoms. I've been checking on her every half hour.

I think I ought to just add more water to her wet food and see how that goes. However, Nalah keeps eating more of the jelly rather than the meat! :lol:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont think i would use any medications on her right now. If you use a monthly de wormer on her i would wait a week or two, until i know she is feeling good. I would just keep watch, and if she is not better in 24 to 48 hours then have her in for a vet visit.

As for the food, well my cats wont eat wet food if i add water, some will, so you just have to see how she is with that. Cats can be very picky about their foods, if she is not doing well with the wet she is eating now, maybe try a few different brands, proteins, and textures? There may be a different food she would enjoy more?

And yea, google is very helpful, but it is also very likely to freak you out as well. Sometimes i go on there to look up symptoms and i have almost every deadly disease known to man. :dizzy: I use google, but try not to self diagnose, that is the reason we have vets, or Doctors. :heartshape:

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll hold off doing anything but monitoring then. I can't believe I'm wishing for her to start the zoomies now :sigh:

Thanks for keeping my worrisome self in check though

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay Monday morning update

So Sunday evening was as how I described but after 5pm, she didn't go back to sleep. She was up and awake but still lying down wherever anyone was. She always enjoys company. Say, if my mum and I are in the landing then she'll lay there.

She slept the entire night with my mum and my mum reports that whenever she gets close to Nalah, she moves away. Not too far but enough to be noticeable.

Okay so I'm getting ready for work whilst everyone else will stay at home. I noticed that Nalah has pooped but she's, strangely enough, not hidden it. Now, it may be because she felt that she didn't bother or that it was a bit dirty to start with. I changed the litter as I do anyway. My mum was a bit concerned and asked if it was her memory but I don't think so..

I fed her breakfast and she ate her food with the obligatory crumbs and left overs but she ate.

The door bell rings as she was lying down and what does she do? She somehow gets her energy and door darts. I never thought I'd see her run that fast anymore. I had to bring her back inside though since she escaped. Then she ran a bit more but still she ended up lying down. I have a 5 minute play session with her but she's not really rabbitkicking her toy? Probably still feeling weak but at least she's wake.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She sounds like a normal kitten. I don’t think I would worry. Keep an eye on her, as you’ve been doing, but don’t worry too much.

Can we have a photo, please?

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly, ever since the accident I have been very worried but then again I have only had her just under 8 weeks now.

Let’s see if I can post it on my phone.

At 8/9 weeks.
0F0B1BCE-F198-48DD-AD79-5803403D40AC.jpeg

This is here on Wednesday. 14 weeks
9EFE797E-CE24-485E-A3B5-C93B5FF5A256.jpeg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not unusual at all, for cats to be slow and 'off' for up to a week or so after being stressed or in a fight, etc. what you are describing sounds normal, she is extremely stressed right now and going to the vets added to her anxiety. Just give her lots of attention and soothing strokes, she'll come around. If she isn't better or at least a little more active today, call your vet and describe what she is doing for peace of mind. Cats get extremely anxious over episodes like this, I don't see my cats for a couple of days after we have company, and what your cat has been through is a lot more stressful!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a pretty girl! Sounds like she may still be just a little stressed, or even a bit sore from all of her adventures. But it also sounds like she is getting better! Glad she is more active and doing cat things today! Continue to watch her, and if you get concerned call your vet. Glad she is doing well, cute little girl! :heartshape:

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the compliments! I’ll pass them on and see if that’ll cheer her up.

So, whilst I’ve been gone - she’s just been really sleepy and lethargic. However, when I returned, that’s when she perked up a bit. She follows me but doesn’t quite want me to touch her - just love her from afar and pets. She’s now gone to sleep in this particular position. She usually used to lie on her side when asleep randomly then gets comfortable later.

Here’s her looking really subdued and spacing out.

Here’s her sleeping right now.

She played for a bit but it seems like she’s scared about the accident and the area it took place. It’s like she’s been cautious about her surroundings and she’s upset. Also, she’s sore somewhere. She has that subdued look. Is there anything I can give her anything natural that can destress her or is it a waiting game?