Am I giving my girls the best?

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, everyone. I was just wondering what everyone's opinions of Royal Canin cat food (canned and dry) are. I remember having good experiences with my last cat when he started to develop kidney disease, but I recently heard some stuff that may or may not be cause for concern. Specifically, I've been reading conflicting reports of whether or not carrageenan, which is present in their canned food, is dangerous or not (several articles say yes, one scientific study I came across says no). I love these girls more than anything and I want to give them the best I possibly can.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I hate to say it, but you will get sooooo many varying opinions on what is or is not good cat food that it will make your head spin.
Canned food is usually thought to be better than dry food, due to the extra moisture. Carrageenan has been suspected of its possible association with cancer, but I suppose that might be true of a lot of varying ingredients if you search long and far enough.

There are a host of cat food related articles in this site that I suppose you could look at as a place to start.
You searched for cat food - TheCatSite

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , you're going to get different opinions here about carrageenan. I don't worry too much about it because there is normally some type of thickener in almost every wet cat food out there. If it isn't carrageenan, then it's guar gum, or xantham gum, or agar agar, or tapioca starch, or potato starch, etc. And someone will find fault with whatever it is. But did you know that there is carrageenan in most ice cream and even in baby formula? Of course, we aren't cats, but if it causes cancer in humans, then I would think we wouldn't be using it.

Personally, I am of the opinion that feeding wet food is better for cats than feeding them kibble, and I do try to stay away from foods that are full of fillers since cats are obligate carnivores (one of my cats actually eats raw) but the main thing that is important is that they eat! One of my cats is so picky that if all he would eat is Meow Mix, that's what I would feed him. Luckily he doesn't like it, but still, what I'm saying is "the best food for your cat is what he will eat".

catdad61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will second what mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens said. "The best food for your cat is what he will eat"
Two of our previous cats would only eat kibble, they walked away from any wet food we attempted to feed them. Luckily Lunar, our current cat, isn't too picky. She is fed a combination of dry/wet food and I rotate the wet food flavor daily (4 flavor variety pack). I keep her in the 240's - 260's cal/day range (depending on calorie content of her wet food) to maintain a healthy 10 - 11lbs. weight, as recommended by her vet. And just today she weighed 10.4lbs. at her appointment. :cheerleader::cheerleader: