Am I Doing The Right Thing?

lisara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an appointment this afternoon to put my cat to sleep. He is 18 1/2 years old. He can hardly see and limps when he walks as his joints are aching. He pees when he sleeps. He eats fine but all he does is lay around and does nothing else.

Am I doing the right thing? He is quite old but I just fear I'm doing the wrong thing. Am I? Or is this the best thing for him? Best thing to ease his suffering. His quality of life is poor.

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are doing the right thing. I just recently went through this with my 17 year old, Lucy. It is never an easy decision, but as their caregivers, we have to decide when quality of life is diminished. He has already led a long kitty life, loved and taken care of by you. I know it makes it so hard, because they can't talk to you and you second guess your decision, I went through all the emotions and doubts. But you are doing something that is loving and merciful and you are continuing to take care of him. Be there with him and tell him you love him. He does not fear death, he will know you are there. My Lucy will be there to greet him when he crosses the bridge and he will not be in pain anymore. Bless you and your kitty and I will be thinking about you this afternoon. Talk to us here as much as you need.
:alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your kind words and support. I just keep looking at him trying to convince myself. I do think it's right but just hard. Just hate it so much. I had to do this about 7 years ago with my other cat but he wasn't eating which made it easier. And just about a year ago with my dog as he had cancer and wasn't eating. Somehow that made it easier. I do think he will be happier...

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
This is always the hardest part, to have to "play God" and decide what and when to do this, but if his quality of life is not good he will be relieved to be rid of his old sick Earthly body and happy that his spirit is free and well again, but it hurts so so bad I know, but it sounds like he isn't enjoying himself anymore, I am sorry that you are in this position but he had a long wonderful life with you, he loved you and you him, neither have any regrets and you will see each other some day and he will say "thank you for what you did for me".

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry it has come to this time, but he will be fine now, just fine, and I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, Lord Bless you and give you strength.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
You're doing the right thing. He has no real quality of life, and he's not going to get better. It sucks, it really does.
Please stay with him and hold him while he crosses. And always remember that he was lucky to have such a nice life, thank you for providing it to him! <3

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Sweet Friend, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

He is gone now, I see...and yes, you did the right thing, the only thing. Far, far better to make that decision "too early," and give him the gift of a gentle passing, than to do it too late, and have him suffer. You have helped him to shed his heavy coat of flesh and fur, and freed him to dance on sunlight, young and strong again. He waits in a place where eternity is a moment for you, in the fulness of time, to join that Dance.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
there comes a day when living becomes existing. When the joy of living becomes an existence filled with pain and just surviving day to day, that is the time to gather your strength from the love you hold for him and help him escape. It is much better to leave this earth one day early to escape all the pain and suffering, than one day too late. even though he 'seems' not to be suffering he is, I can tell by your description of his daily life. Believe me, the act of dying at home is not a easier choice either. Every living thing thing fights against the coming night, and tpo witness it is painful and just as heartbreaking.
You cannot ever prepare your heart for this event. even though you know it is coming it hurts just as much. That precious boy spent 18 1/2 years with you, spent 18 1/2 years following you on your life's journey. Over those years you built a very powerful bond of love, NOTHING, not even death, will ever take that from you. "Death cannot take that which never dies" and your love for him will be forever.
It hurts, it hurts your very soul to have this happen. But you know deep inside, he loves you so much he would never want you to be so sad because of him. He didn't want to go, he had to.....He follows a call that we all will follow one day, and we can only hope that we will be as loved and cherished as he was. You feel as though your world has shattered right now, and it has. time is the only thing that helps you to distance yourself from the pain, to build a new life's order for yourself. That and surrounding yourself with people who understand and can support your feelings, people who will help you through this. just get through one day at a time right now, Try not to dwell on his end, you would never want to elevate it above his wonderful life. Concentrate on his life, the love he gave you, and know he is as close as your thoughts and prayers. Eventually you can send him good thoughts, loving thoughts, and in this way he will live on through you.
My heart goes out to you, I know how much this hurts. It does get better, but it takes time.....lots of time....Please accept my sincere condolences, I'll pray for you both.
RIP sweet boy. You will never be forgotten, you will forever be securely held in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again....somewhere, somehow!

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your kind words and support. I just keep looking at him trying to convince myself. I do think it's right but just hard. Just hate it so much. I had to do this about 7 years ago with my other cat but he wasn't eating which made it easier. And just about a year ago with my dog as he had cancer and wasn't eating. Somehow that made it easier. I do think he will be happier...
L lisara just checking in, how are you doing?