Am I Doing Enough To Keep My Kitty Healthy?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! Constipation to the point of requiring an enema to clear it means he really did have to go to the vet.

Hopefully the vat calls you back as soon as possible. Is there any way you can add more moisture to his food?
There's not much more I can do with his food now. I already feed him canned food each day, dry food w/water in it (I call this his "soup") and the dry food itself, which is for sensitive tummies.

I got a few cans of prescription diet food the other day (before yesterday's enema at the vet's) and he wouldn't touch it. They also recommended something called "Fiber response" dry food - I think that's Hills too - it's something he had in the past but he didn't eat it for very long.

Pumpkin is very finnicky. He'll like something temporarily and then will refuse to touch it even days later.

The vet did call back and reassured me this bleeding is normal. It should stop within a couple of days. In the meantime, I'm trying hard to keep up with all of his "poop places." He's been pooping in his carrier - again - and his pop up play cube, tunnel and play box. Even some of his toys got pooped/bled on.

The bleeding is getting better and I will keep track of it. If it gets worse I will call the vet back. Sorry I panicked earlier, but I thought maybe he got punctured inside.

Pumpkin is resting in bed right next to me as I write this. I'm hoping he'll snuggle up to me later when I turn in.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin is very finnicky. He'll like something temporarily and then will refuse to touch it even days later.
Cats often relate their feeling of unwell to their food. So if you can, I would try to find several different flavors and textures of food that you can rotate thru everyday. When my kitty had CKD, he often became nauseated and would refuse to eat the food he just had the day before, but if I kept changing up the foods, it encouraged him to eat better. I assume that your kitty probably feels unwell a lot of the time because of the tummy/constipation.

I wonder if adding something like laxatone to Pumpkin's diet everyday would help with passing stools better, it will lubricate the colon, but it is not laxative that will cause additional upset stomach or cause diarrhea.

My kitty once had diarrhea from taking antibiotics, she also had blood in her poop. The vet assured me she was OK as well, it was just that her pooper was irritated. Once her diarrhea let up, she was OK. If the bleeding has already started to get better, then I'm sure Pumpkin will be fine.

Has the vet ever mentioned adding pro AND pre-biotics to her diet?

Your doing great!
:hangin:

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats often relate their feeling of unwell to their food. So if you can, I would try to find several different flavors and textures of food that you can rotate thru everyday. When my kitty had CKD, he often became nauseated and would refuse to eat the food he just had the day before, but if I kept changing up the foods, it encouraged him to eat better. I assume that your kitty probably feels unwell a lot of the time because of the tummy/constipation.

I wonder if adding something like laxatone to Pumpkin's diet everyday would help with passing stools better, it will lubricate the colon, but it is not laxative that will cause additional upset stomach or cause diarrhea.

My kitty once had diarrhea from taking antibiotics, she also had blood in her poop. The vet assured me she was OK as well, it was just that her pooper was irritated. Once her diarrhea let up, she was OK. If the bleeding has already started to get better, then I'm sure Pumpkin will be fine.

Has the vet ever mentioned adding pro AND pre-biotics to her diet?

Your doing great!
:hangin:
Thank you! :)

Pumpkin had diarrhea for a couple more days but that has stopped, along with the bleeding. That's the good news. Bad news is, it's been nearly two days since he last pooped and I'm worried he's getting constipated again.

I have him some Miralax yesterday and increased the dose this morning. He's still eating & drinking, just no poop at all since he last had diarrhea.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. He's still taking Miralax, I've cut back on his treats quite a bit, he still takes Laxatone. I brush him often. I don't know why I'm not seeing a regular poop yet unless it's because of the diarrhea he had after seeing the vet last week.

I could use some suggestions as to what else to do. I can't handle much more of this.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! :)

Pumpkin had diarrhea for a couple more days but that has stopped, along with the bleeding. That's the good news. Bad news is, it's been nearly two days since he last pooped and I'm worried he's getting constipated again.

I have him some Miralax yesterday and increased the dose this morning. He's still eating & drinking, just no poop at all since he last had diarrhea.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. He's still taking Miralax, I've cut back on his treats quite a bit, he still takes Laxatone. I brush him often. I don't know why I'm not seeing a regular poop yet unless it's because of the diarrhea he had after seeing the vet last week.

I could use some suggestions as to what else to do. I can't handle much more of this.
If Pumpkin has been pooping a lot, diarrhea, then normal, and it's been nearly two days since his last I would watch him closely but not panic just yet. The little cat has pooped an awful lot in the days prior to this, and his insides were more than likely stripped clean, and need to re-load again before he can "pull the trigger" ;)
Our boy has had several enemas over the years, and every single time he unloads a few times, then doesn't go again for 2 or 3 entire days. Every time we worry, and every time he's fine, and his poop is normal.
How much and how many times a day does he eat? The less food you can give him as often as possible (so he gets the normal amount, just spread out a bit) will hopefully get his GI working normally again, avoid large meals that might hit a sluggish digestive system like a cement block.
Also, his rear end might still be sore from the procedure, so straining might be something that's still a bit painful. So long as he doesn't have more diarrhea, the miralax is probably a very good idea so he doesn't have to strain.
Poor little guy, and poor you! Hang in there.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If Pumpkin has been pooping a lot, diarrhea, then normal, and it's been nearly two days since his last I would watch him closely but not panic just yet. The little cat has pooped an awful lot in the days prior to this, and his insides were more than likely stripped clean, and need to re-load again before he can "pull the trigger" ;)
Our boy has had several enemas over the years, and every single time he unloads a few times, then doesn't go again for 2 or 3 entire days. Every time we worry, and every time he's fine, and his poop is normal.
How much and how many times a day does he eat? The less food you can give him as often as possible (so he gets the normal amount, just spread out a bit) will hopefully get his GI working normally again, avoid large meals that might hit a sluggish digestive system like a cement block.
Also, his rear end might still be sore from the procedure, so straining might be something that's still a bit painful. So long as he doesn't have more diarrhea, the miralax is probably a very good idea so he doesn't have to strain.
Poor little guy, and poor you! Hang in there.
He has food set out all the time, but I have cut back on his treats. Alot. To the point where I think he's a bit irritated with me!

He's got his dry food, which is Purina for sensitive tummies. He's got another dish of that with water mixed in, which I call his "soup." And his canned food, with just a few treats mixed in so he will eat it.

And lots of water. Pumpkin's got two water bowls and a fountain. I just refilled his dishes a short time ago and had to top off his fountain, so I know he's been drinking.

He's not acting sick, just hasn't pooped. I figured it might have something to do with the massive diarrhea he had after his trip to the vets but I don't want him to get bound up again.

My brother suggested I get a harness & leash to walk him around outdoors but I'm not convinced that's a good idea. We've got alot of dogs in this apartment complex, some of whom aren't leashed (even though they're supposed to) when they're taken outside to do their business. Then there's the glass & other assorted items not far from the dumpster towards the far end of the next building over.

I'd get one of those cat exercise wheels if I knew he'd use them, but they're very expensive.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't remember if I mentioned that prior to last week's appointment, his vet sent over some cans of Hills Prescription Diet but he wouldn't touch it.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has food set out all the time, but I have cut back on his treats. Alot. To the point where I think he's a bit irritated with me!

He's got his dry food, which is Purina for sensitive tummies. He's got another dish of that with water mixed in, which I call his "soup." And his canned food, with just a few treats mixed in so he will eat it.

And lots of water. Pumpkin's got two water bowls and a fountain. I just refilled his dishes a short time ago and had to top off his fountain, so I know he's been drinking.

He's not acting sick, just hasn't pooped. I figured it might have something to do with the massive diarrhea he had after his trip to the vets but I don't want him to get bound up again.

My brother suggested I get a harness & leash to walk him around outdoors but I'm not convinced that's a good idea. We've got alot of dogs in this apartment complex, some of whom aren't leashed (even though they're supposed to) when they're taken outside to do their business. Then there's the glass & other assorted items not far from the dumpster towards the far end of the next building over.

I'd get one of those cat exercise wheels if I knew he'd use them, but they're very expensive.
When I read about the harness and leash, I thought "Good plan!" then I read about the unleashed dogs and I think you're right. Bad plan.
Does he like any kind of toys? Getting him moving a little bit would probably be a good option. Laser pointers, mouse toys, little feather wands. Our cats like a big sheet of aluminum foil wadded in to a ball. Or a ball of newspaper.
Yes, we've looked at those exercise wheels. :( We can't justify the cost just yet.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I read about the harness and leash, I thought "Good plan!" then I read about the unleashed dogs and I think you're right. Bad plan.
Does he like any kind of toys? Getting him moving a little bit would probably be a good option. Laser pointers, mouse toys, little feather wands. Our cats like a big sheet of aluminum foil wadded in to a ball. Or a ball of newspaper.
Yes, we've looked at those exercise wheels. :( We can't justify the cost just yet.
I've got one of those laser pointers and was trying to coax him into running but Pumpkin didn't want to budge. Every night before I go to bed I set up a play area for him with a couple of those folding cubes, various toys (some of which have catnip) and he doesn't always use them. Most nights he doesn't.

I'll have to find something else, but about the only thing that will get Pumpkin running is a real mouse, which I won't go for, or a kitten that will chase him around like crazy. As much as I'd love to have another cat to be his buddy, I can't do that right now.

It's going on 2:15am as I write this and he still hasn't pooped yet. I am getting very worried. Again.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin left me a few presents in his litterbox overnight! What a relief! :cloud9: