Am I Doing Enough To Keep My Kitty Healthy?

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not long ago I posted a thread on a different part of this site regarding a change of the type of litter my Pumpkin kitty uses. Now I'm concerned about something else.

He had his annual checkup today and the vet & I discussed his diet. Pumpkin has had constipation off and on since I adopted him over 6 years ago. The way she was talking, it felt like she was saying I'm not doing enough.

Pumpkin has three dishes of food set out for him every day. He has dry food - Purina Gentle formula in the purple bag, which is supposed to be good for sensitive tummies. Fancy Feast grilled chicken w/gravy for canned, and his dry food mixed with water.

Water intake has been an issue for him, so to encourage him to drink more I have two water bowls and a stainless steel fountain.

He's on Miralax. The vet told me I can put him on a 1/4 tsp twice a day on days when he's really bound up. I tried mixing it with laxatone, but it's hard with the larger dose because the laxatone turns into a very thick paste with 1/4 tsp.

Pumpkin takes Pepcid AC twice a day too. That's easier for me to give him. I used to ground it up and put it in his laxatone, but he's been refusing his laxatone because of the Miralax making it so thick.

For the past few days I've been dissolving the Miralax in water, then I add the Pepcid, then I put it in his wet food dish, which I encourage him to eat by throwing treats on it too. So far it seems to be working, but I don't think he's getting even 1/8 tsp twice a day of the Miralax. He doesn't seem to be eating the entire can (he gets two cans a day because I won't leave them out too long).

Anyway, they did alot of blood work, the results of which will come back next week. Pumpkin may need dental work but we agreed to hold off on it until the results come back. Pumpkin has been sleeping more than usual for the past month or so, maybe it's just his getting older, I don't know.

Pumpkin may need a dental cleaning and I already have money saved for that. But my question is, why would she push a prescription diet that costs over $40 for an 8-pound bag, and the canned food is $2 per can?

I've got a HUGE stash of canned and dry food for him. Mostly because I don't want him to ever run out, and partly due to my poor health. Should something happen to me, my family agreed to take him in. I want Pumpkin to be well provided for, but this vet, who isn't the one he usually sees there, strongly encouraged me to get this prescription food.

Am I a horrible kitty mommy to not want to get it? I don't even know if he will eat it. They gave us samples in the past of a different prescription diet - dry food - and he didn't like it at all.

I don't want to spend a ton of money on something that I am not convinced he will eat.

What do you think? Am I wrong?

The vet made me feel very bad about what I've been trying to do for him.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing plenty! Do you know that most cats don’t ever get dentals? So if you have money saved for that it’s already phenomenal. Your cat is obviously getting medical attention and you try to come up with solutions. Don’t feel bad. A lot of us don’t think very highly of prescription foods. They’re not very high quality either. Why does your vet want your cat on prescription? Is it the constipation? A lot of vets will push prescription food because of the propaganda they receive in vet school. The big pet food companies donate money to vet schools.

One area that I think could be improved is dry food. Can you give your cat a little less dry so he’ll eat more wet? The wet food by itself will provide much needed moisture. Why is your cat taking Pepcid ac? Does he vomit a lot without it?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A vet should be there to help you improve, not make you feel bad. That's why you're paying them.
I'd consider finding a new vet if this one doesn't stop trying to make you feel like you're doing something bad when you're doing more than most owners do. Don't worry, you're doing great :wave3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are doing plenty! Do you know that most cats don’t ever get dentals? So if you have money saved for that it’s already phenomenal. Your cat is obviously getting medical attention and you try to come up with solutions. Don’t feel bad. A lot of us don’t think very highly of prescription foods. They’re not very high quality either. Why does your vet want your cat on prescription? Is it the constipation? A lot of vets will push prescription food because of the propaganda they receive in vet school. The big pet food companies donate money to vet schools.

One area that I think could be improved is dry food. Can you give your cat a little less dry so he’ll eat more wet? The wet food by itself will provide much needed moisture. Why is your cat taking Pepcid ac? Does he vomit a lot without it?
The vet suggested a prescription diet because of Pumpkin's constipation. I tried a prescription dry food and canned several years ago but my kitty didn't care for it.

The Purina "gentle" seems to be helping him, and since he eats it, I see no reason why I should stop giving it to him. Pumpkin is a picky eater.

He was prescribed Pepcid nearly two years ago due to an upset tummy...throwing up & poor appetite. I think it's helping him. He's doing much better as far as that goes. The constipation seems to be coming up more frequently.

I thought about taking away the dry food altogether and just feed him a wet version of it (dry plus water) and the canned, but I believe I'd have a very upset kitty on my hands!

I tried canned pumpkin again (plain, not the spiced up kind) and he wouldn't touch it.

Thank you!

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A vet should be there to help you improve, not make you feel bad. That's why you're paying them.
I'd consider finding a new vet if this one doesn't stop trying to make you feel like you're doing something bad when you're doing more than most owners do. Don't worry, you're doing great :wave3:
Thank you! I appreciate your kind words. The vet my kitty saw today wasn't the one who normally sees him. It was a different person and I can't even remember her name.

I didn't actually go to the vet. My brother took Pumpkin for me as I'm in a wheelchair and it's getting harder for me to get around.

This clinic, for the most part, has been very good to my little fur baby. There is one vet in particular who is extremely good w/animals but I guess he wasn't on duty today.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought about taking away the dry food altogether and just feed him a wet version of it (dry plus water) and the canned, but I believe I'd have a very upset kitty on my hands!
True, but it is about his health and what he would eat. Do everything you can to encourage more canned food getting into him and much less dry. Even if he loves it, its like McDonalds. It is no good for them, particularly males, no matter how much they like it.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
True, but it is about his health and what he would eat. Do everything you can to encourage more canned food getting into him and much less dry. Even if he loves it, its like McDonalds. It is no good for them, particularly males, no matter how much they like it.
If I take away his dry food tomorrow, would he eat more of his canned food or more of his dry food mixed with water? I would do it in a heartbeat if I knew for sure he would eat more of the wet food.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you are doing a lot. There are wet foods that have pumpkin in them that you might find he will eat. I feed wet food with plenty of water added. I have a theory based solely on my own observation that cats who don't drink much aren't rejecting the water entirely, they just aren't attracted to plain water. Ailish is not much of a water drinker from the bowl, but when I mix water with wet food she will slurp up any consistency including outright soup.

All you can do is try in the wet versus dry situation. If he eats wet food at all I can think of no reason why he wouldn't eat it as his entire diet. If I am ever suggested prescription food I plan to ask what about the prescription food makes it better for my cat and then see if I can get that same effect off the shelf at the pet food store.

I also might revisit the Pepcid if he's been on it for awhile. Sometimes we get in the habit of using some medication that originally worked, but we haven't checked recently to see if it is still needed. When I first got Ailish she would throw up now and then. No biggie, people told me, cats throw up. About a year later it got more frequent and was beginning to worry me because she was always throwing up her nightly dry feeding, undigested, long after it should have been out of her stomach, but I was still investigating whether she had a stash of food somewhere that she was getting into and overeating. I finally tossed that particular dry food. Lo and behold, she hasn't gacked since :yess: (knocking on wood) and it's been over a year. My long winded point being, sometimes the condition that caused the problem the medication is for goes away, but we don't know unless we check.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As mentioned, try any food change very gradually, both his palate and his tummy need gentle adjustments :)
I think you're doing a fantastic job. (It's entirely possible the vet was trying to impress management by selling food, or something)

In your case, hang in there and keep doing what you're doing :thumbsup:

Medemt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Something you might ask you vet about in order to get your cat to drink more. I have a cat that had a urinary issue and ha since been put on a special prescription diet. Her is my point to the post. My vet told me to give my cat Cosequin. Apparently, it makes a cat thirsty and they drink more water. It is relatively inexpensive (shop around) and it may help with your cats joints also. My other cat is on it also as she has severe arthritis in her elbows. Seems to help her. You can sprinkle it on her food. But just to feel better, ask the vet about this.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you are doing a lot. There are wet foods that have pumpkin in them that you might find he will eat. I feed wet food with plenty of water added. I have a theory based solely on my own observation that cats who don't drink much aren't rejecting the water entirely, they just aren't attracted to plain water. Ailish is not much of a water drinker from the bowl, but when I mix water with wet food she will slurp up any consistency including outright soup.

All you can do is try in the wet versus dry situation. If he eats wet food at all I can think of no reason why he wouldn't eat it as his entire diet. If I am ever suggested prescription food I plan to ask what about the prescription food makes it better for my cat and then see if I can get that same effect off the shelf at the pet food store.

I also might revisit the Pepcid if he's been on it for awhile. Sometimes we get in the habit of using some medication that originally worked, but we haven't checked recently to see if it is still needed. When I first got Ailish she would throw up now and then. No biggie, people told me, cats throw up. About a year later it got more frequent and was beginning to worry me because she was always throwing up her nightly dry feeding, undigested, long after it should have been out of her stomach, but I was still investigating whether she had a stash of food somewhere that she was getting into and overeating. I finally tossed that particular dry food. Lo and behold, she hasn't gacked since :yess: (knocking on wood) and it's been over a year. My long winded point being, sometimes the condition that caused the problem the medication is for goes away, but we don't know unless we check.
When Pumpkin's lab work comes back next week I'll ask the vet about that. The thought that perhaps he might no longer need the Pepcid did occur to me, but I haven't discussed this with his vet because of the other issues he's had.

He may need a dental cleaning. I'm dreading this because it would have to be done under anesthesia, and there are risks with that.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could just gradually take away the dry in small amounts and add in more canned until he is switched over to mostly canned.
I'll have to try that.

This morning I fixed his "soup," which is dry food mixed with water, and I put some dry food on top to convince him to eat it. Anyway, this turned out to be a huge mess. I'll try again.

If it were me, he'd be on canned food only. That would take care of his poop issues for sure!

Someone asked about canned pumpkin but he refuses to eat it. I served it to him several times during the past week and he wouldn't touch it.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As mentioned, try any food change very gradually, both his palate and his tummy need gentle adjustments :)
I think you're doing a fantastic job. (It's entirely possible the vet was trying to impress management by selling food, or something)

In your case, hang in there and keep doing what you're doing :thumbsup:
I'll try to hang in there. Thank you!

<hugs>

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Something you might ask you vet about in order to get your cat to drink more. I have a cat that had a urinary issue and ha since been put on a special prescription diet. Her is my point to the post. My vet told me to give my cat Cosequin. Apparently, it makes a cat thirsty and they drink more water. It is relatively inexpensive (shop around) and it may help with your cats joints also. My other cat is on it also as she has severe arthritis in her elbows. Seems to help her. You can sprinkle it on her food. But just to feel better, ask the vet about this.
I will definitely ask the vet when she calls back next week with his lab results! Thank you!

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
when HK was very constipated, he got 1/4 tsp miralax 3 to 4x per day with meals. it helped a lot. cosequin actually gave HK diarrhea, so maybe giving him some daily might help with the constipation, although it doesn't give all cats the runs.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a chance that the long term use of Pepcid has caused lower acidity in his stomach? I wonder if adding digestive enzymes and probiotics to his diet would help keep him regular? I know in humans, using acid reducers for reflux, can cause digestive issues.
If hairballs are the problem, could you try brushing him daily? (if you don't already)
And as others have mentioned, you are doing more than enough for your kitty. The simple fact that you are taking initiative and reaching out for advice shows me you are a caring and diligent pet parent. :thumbsup:

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
when HK was very constipated, he got 1/4 tsp miralax 3 to 4x per day with meals. it helped a lot. cosequin actually gave HK diarrhea, so maybe giving him some daily might help with the constipation, although it doesn't give all cats the runs.
I haven't asked the vet about the Cosequin yet but will when she calls back. He's having more issues.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there a chance that the long term use of Pepcid has caused lower acidity in his stomach? I wonder if adding digestive enzymes and probiotics to his diet would help keep him regular? I know in humans, using acid reducers for reflux, can cause digestive issues.
If hairballs are the problem, could you try brushing him daily? (if you don't already)
And as others have mentioned, you are doing more than enough for your kitty. The simple fact that you are taking initiative and reaching out for advice shows me you are a caring and diligent pet parent. :thumbsup:
Sorry for my delay in responding to your post & the one above it. Alot's been going on at home, much of it's not good.

Pumpkin got severely constipated and I had my brother take him to the vet yesterday. He was given an enema & a subcutaneous injection of water. He pooped at the vet's and in his carrier on the way home.

He pooped in his play tunnel after that, so I had to toss it. Not a whole lot, just some diarrhea.

I heard a strange noise last night and found a couple of mushy piles of something...not sure if it was vomit or poop. I couldn't tell by the smell. I got that cleaned up. Thank God I have a carpet shampooer!

This morning I woke up to find Pumpkin sleeping very close to me, which is unusual for him. He likes his space.

I went to a different room in my house a short time ago, came back to the livingroom and noticed a strange smell...at first I couldn't tell if it was his poop or if he threw up. Then I got a good look at his carrier and found a small amount of diarrhea but there was blood too. I'm guessing about a teaspoon or less.

The last time Pumpkin got an enema (about 3 years ago, and it was given at the vet's like yesterday) he had a small amount of bleeding and it resolved quickly. I think there was a small amount of bleeding last night but what I saw just now scared me enough that I called the vet's office. I'm still waiting for them to call back.

I swear to God I can't take anymore. My kitty has been through enough. And to be honest, my money is starting to run out and I had to dip into the savings I set aside for his dental cleaning at the end of the month.

If the vet injured him in anyway she'd best get a good lawyer. She will need one.

I held a wet paper towel to his fanny to see if he was still bleeding but I saw nothing. Good.

I just hope he won't get this every time he poops. I am scared and don't know what to do, esp. since money is running out quick.

Maybe I shouldn't have sent him to the vet's yesterday. Maybe I should have waited. I couldn't go along because I'm in a wheelchair and my brother's truck is not accessible.

Help! I don't know what to do.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Constipation to the point of requiring an enema to clear it means he really did have to go to the vet.

Hopefully the vat calls you back as soon as possible. Is there any way you can add more moisture to his food?