Am I being paranoid?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lranders29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep up the probiotics for a few days after the antibiotics end. I'm glad you're having success with that; I'm having trouble getting probiotics into Bright Eyes after his recent series of antibiotics.

When you go in to the shelter with the vet bills, remember to remind them that they agreed to help you with these - you aren't doing this in a vacuum. All you're doing is asking them to live up to their commitment.

How is Neptune doing? No signs that he's caught the mycoplasma, I hope?

Margret
Thank you for the advice. Part of the challenge in this is the person I need to talk to doesn’t respond to calls or emails. I will just try harder. Meeting in person might be a challenge because of that.
I’m glad both of them have been taking probiotics fine when sprinkled into their food so I’m going to do that until they run out!
Neptune is doing great. On Monday he will finish up 21 days of Baytril. The vet will do a follow up x ray to check on the pneumonia. He seems to be just now back to normal, but I still worry since he was so sick. The vet hadn’t mentioned mycoplasma in him, but the pneumonia seemed to go from 0 to 100 very quickly, And she mentioned he might need another round of antibiotics with how bad it got so quickly.

Lranders29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I’m checking in again feeling worried and not sure if I’m overreacting. Josephine seemed fine all morning and was playful as usual. This afternoon I noticed her eye was squinty - same one that was watery last week - and it seems she’s slept all afternoon and evening. She’s eaten, took medicine fine, and isn’t hiding from us like she did last week. It’s throwing me off that she is squinty and tired. I’m not sure if I should take her in again...my intuition was right before with them both and I think it’s messing with me. She’s not sneezing or anything either. Ugh.

eljuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I’m checking in again feeling worried and not sure if I’m overreacting. Josephine seemed fine all morning and was playful as usual. This afternoon I noticed her eye was squinty - same one that was watery last week - and it seems she’s slept all afternoon and evening.
I don't know if anyone has mentioned Feline Herpes Virus. I skimmed the thread and didn't see anything, apologies if I'm repeating what's already been said. It's highly contagious and, therefore, not at all uncommon in cats. The squinty eye is what makes me think your kitty might have FHV, also known as Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis. All three of mine, all rescues, have it. Two of them need daily L-Lysine and my older girl only needs L-Lysine supplementation on the rare occasion when she experiences a flare-up, usually triggered by stress. We had a very stressful situation here a few days ago and, sure enough, she was keeping her left eye mostly closed and there was a little watery discharge. Some L-Lysine and extra probiotics and she was fine the next day.

A good kitten maintenance dosage is 250 mg./day. You can do 500 mg. when they're symptomatic. I like the Now brand L-Lysine powder because there are no fillers or additives and you get a lot for your $. Add it to wet food or Gerber 2nd foods meat baby food if she doesn't have much of an appetite.

I hope she feels better soon!

Lranders29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if anyone has mentioned Feline Herpes Virus. I skimmed the thread and didn't see anything, apologies if I'm repeating what's already been said. It's highly contagious and, therefore, not at all uncommon in cats. The squinty eye is what makes me think your kitty might have FHV, also known as Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis. All three of mine, all rescues, have it. Two of them need daily L-Lysine and my older girl only needs L-Lysine supplementation on the rare occasion when she experiences a flare-up, usually triggered by stress. We had a very stressful situation here a few days ago and, sure enough, she was keeping her left eye mostly closed and there was a little watery discharge. Some L-Lysine and extra probiotics and she was fine the next day.

A good kitten maintenance dosage is 250 mg./day. You can do 500 mg. when they're symptomatic. I like the Now brand L-Lysine powder because there are no fillers or additives and you get a lot for your $. Add it to wet food or Gerber 2nd foods meat baby food if she doesn't have much of an appetite.

I hope she feels better soon!
Thank you for the advice. If it’s just the eye that bugs her and she seems fine otherwise, I’ll be ok. I’ll look into the l-lysine. I just keep worrying it’s something worse. She did get the series of FVRCP vaccines - so I thought that should cover against rhinotracheitis?

eljuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice. If it’s just the eye that bugs her and she seems fine otherwise, I’ll be ok. I’ll look into the l-lysine. I just keep worrying it’s something worse. She did get the series of FVRCP vaccines - so I thought that should cover against rhinotracheitis?
The virus can also cause cold-like symptoms with fever. URIs can develop into pneumonia. The squinty eye could become ulcerated, and this can lead to loss of vision. It's a disease that requires treatment when cats are symptomatic, and some cats will require L-Lysine supplementation daily to prevent flare-ups. I personally wouldn't take any chances with a kitten that's already immunocompromised, but you should definitely discuss it with your vet.

If she contracted it prior to the vaccinations, she's got it for life. Vaccines can't cure disease, they only prevent contraction.

Lranders29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again everyone,
Well, I’m about to just accept that I won’t get funds back from the vet and to just think positive about going forward.
josephine has one dose left of the antibiotic. She seems back to her self completely. I have heard a sneeze here and there which makes me nervous. Sure hope this antibiotics takes care of her infection.
My Neptune is another story and continuing to worry me. With his pneumonia, the vet suspected he’d need another three rounds of antibiotic (Baytril) which I hate giving him. Sure enough, he still has pneumonia. The vet showed me the x rays to compare and he is much much better. They being said with his weight gain, his medicine dose was DOUBLED. He’s had loose stools and threw up today, so I’m really really tempted to just half the dose. I know I’m not an expert but I hate seeing him sick to his stomach, which seems to take away his energy and appetite for a bit.

Tonight I’m reallydebating bringing them both somewhere else to get a second opinion. Does anyone think it’s weird the vet hasn’t taken blood for either of them with having had pesky URIs? I’m just worried waiting for the other shoe to drop...