Am I being paranoid?

Lranders29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I am hoping I can get some advice to help me either understand I'm worried for nothing, or to bring my kitten in to the vet.

Mid-September, I adopted two kittens from a shelter. They seemed healthy when we first agreed to adopt and were able to bring them home a few days later after one was neutered - we wanted to bring them home on the same day. Quickly we realized they were sick with URI, and also one had pinkeye. My girl is who I am worried about. She did 10 days of antibiotic, then seemed fine for a while, then got sick again and got a shot and seemed to improve. Her brother had pneumonia/chlamydia at this time as well.

She got a convenia (I know, many aren't fans) shot 11 days ago that was supposed to last two weeks. Now she has a eye that seems to be bugging her. It's got a clear discharge and she is squinting and cleaning it a lot. I don't see cloudiness or a scratch. Now I'm convinced she's being less playful and a little reclusive. I have heard a few sneezes (like, one late afternoon and another in the evening). Eating and drinking and using the box just fine. Do I bring her in again? I am torn...I have spent $500+ on them in 6 weeks on top of the adoption fee and don't want to go in if this is just healing OR a watery eye. Help! I am not trying to be cheap either, but I'm honestly not sure if I am being paranoid. I don't feel like I know their true personalities with them being sick and/or on meds almost the whole time we've had them home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lranders29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry your kitten doesn’t seem to be feeling well. You said she was seen 11 days ago. Does the vet you took her to allow you to bring her back within a certain time frame without charging again? I would call and ask.
Thanks for that tip. I did call and am bringing her in tonight. Believe it or not I am a part of a rewards program at the office and it looks like I can get an office visit for free. Better to be safe than sorry with the vet saying to bring her mind - and peace of mind is important!

Water Lily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for that tip. I did call and am bringing her in tonight. Believe it or not I am a part of a rewards program at the office and it looks like I can get an office visit for free. Better to be safe than sorry with the vet saying to bring her mind - and peace of mind is important!
I am glad you are bringing her in. Hopefully it’s good news!!
I agree better safe than sorry.

Lranders29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to you who replied. I’m glad I brought her in. The vet thinks she has a myoplasma I’m afraid to google it. They’ve been sick one after another since we brought them home. Besides the cost, I’m feeling sad and worried they’ll never get fully better. Brother seems fine and has a week left of pneumonia meds, but with every thing he does that seems odd I’m afraid he has something wrong since that’s been the case so far. She will be on doxycycline for 14 days. Now to love on her ☺

Attachments

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain! When we first got Emerson and Evie at 4 months, Emerson got a lower GI infection. Took him to a vet who said "he has worms", shoved a pill down his throat, and sent me home. He got worse over the next day (constant diarrhea, wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink) and I took him to a new vet who immediately gave him subQ fluids- he was so dehydrated. He'd have died if I'd listened to that first vet. Meanwhile, Evie acquired a nasty URI from the first vet's office, so I was dealing with one kitten who was bad at one end and one kitten who was bad at another.

I tell you this because they both did get better and have been perfectly healthy since. Kittens are just so fragile, anything can happen to them, poor things. I hope for the best for your girl! <3

Lranders29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain! When we first got Emerson and Evie at 4 months, Emerson got a lower GI infection. Took him to a vet who said "he has worms", shoved a pill down his throat, and sent me home. He got worse over the next day (constant diarrhea, wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink) and I took him to a new vet who immediately gave him subQ fluids- he was so dehydrated. He'd have died if I'd listened to that first vet. Meanwhile, Evie acquired a nasty URI from the first vet's office, so I was dealing with one kitten who was bad at one end and one kitten who was bad at another.

I tell you this because they both did get better and have been perfectly healthy since. Kittens are just so fragile, anything can happen to them, poor things. I hope for the best for your girl! <3
That is good to read. I grew up with cats that had been abandoned when their eyes were still closed who were healthier than this. I trust the vet but I feel like I’m just waiting for the next bad thing to happen! I’m glad yours are doing better.

Water Lily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m glad you brought her in too. I’m sorry they have been having health issues, but you seem to be staying on top of it! It’s understandable to be a little concerned and be worried about their well being considering everything. I think they will both be okay. 🙏🏼💚
Does the vet suspect she has a mycoplasma infection? Just want to clarify to make sure. If so, it seems like you have caught it early enough. Don’t get too discouraged if she needs antibiotics more than once (hopefully this bout will take care of it completely).

Your kittens are adorable! Which one is which?

Lranders29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m glad you brought her in too. I’m sorry they have been having health issues, but you seem to be staying on top of it! It’s understandable to be a little concerned and be worried about their well being considering everything. I think they will both be okay. 🙏🏼💚
Does the vet suspect she has a mycoplasma infection? Just want to clarify to make sure. If so, it seems like you have caught it early enough. Don’t get too discouraged if she needs antibiotics more than once (hopefully this bout will take care of it completely).

Your kittens are adorable! Which one is which?
Hi! Josephine is the calico and the one mentioned here and her brother (not litter are ha) is Neptune. Yes, mycoplasma. When I brought her in on the 18th the vet thought it was just a general URI. Now she’s thinking this. Symptoms were not severe at all. Watery eyes, sneezing a few times per day- but what threw me off was being lethargic and withdrawn. Not running when we came home or for food. I sure hope we caught it in time and it won’t spread to Neptune who is still being treated for pneumonia.

Lranders29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What nice names! I hope the antibiotics take care of the problem and Josephine and Neptune feel better soon.
thank you. One last question - I can’t seem to find much on here - do you know of any good resources to read about this condition in plain English?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two rescue kittens were always sick, there was always something going on with them and I felt my personal life was put on hold for six months until they were adults :) But since they turned 1 they are almost perfectly ok with no even minor issues, and even if one has a chronic condition (asthma, luckily easily managed), I need to bring them to the vet for annual check up only, not other visits for the past two years. Sometimes it’s like that with kittens, especially rescues but not only, some professional cateries are far from being free from diseases either. Hang in there! Things will be better when they’re older. And sometimes I think that my cats could might as well have ended up with someone who wouldn’t love them the way I do, and they wouldn’t have got good care, so it’s great that you decided to adopt them and take such a great care of them.

Last edited:

Lranders29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two rescue kittens were always sick, there was always something going on with them and I felt my personal life was put on hold for six months until they were adults :) But since they turned 1 they are almost perfectly ok with no even minor issues, and even if one has a chronic condition (asthma, luckily easily managed), I need to bring them to the vet for annual check up only, not other visits for the past two years. Sometimes it’s like that with kittens, especially rescues but not only, some professional cateries are far from being free from diseases either. Hang in there! Things will be better when they’re older. And sometimes I think that my cats could might as well ended up with someone who wouldn’t love them the way I do, and they wouldn’t have got good care, so it’s great that you decided to adopt them and take such a great care of them.
It’s good to know I’m not the only one and that they won’t automatically have problems for ever, even though there’s a chance. I’m glad I’m able to just put this on a credit card and figure it out later. And you are right, there are people that would just give them back to the shelter or rehome, or worse, keep them without caring for them! Just scary to have pneumonia in one and now this mycoplasma. I need to not google anymore, it just freaks me out.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It’s good to know I’m not the only one and that they won’t automatically have problems for ever, even though there’s a chance.
I think many of us who have adopted cats in the past can relate to this issue, myself included. One of our cats started showing symptoms within four days after bringing her home. The shelter's contract included full veterinary care within two weeks after adoption so we didn't pay a penny. In fact, she needed medical treatment for over three weeks and they covered the entire vet bill. 👍 I don't know if you have a similar contract or else may want to consider asking the shelter if they will help with the medical fees.

Although not specific to mycoplasma this TCS Article on eye problems may be helpful especially since it discusses when to see a veterinary ophthalmologist for a second opinion: Eye Problems In Cats: What Every Owner Needs To Know

Lranders29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think many of us who have adopted cats in the past can relate to this issue, myself included. One of our cats started showing symptoms within four days after bringing her home. The shelter's contract included full veterinary care within two weeks after adoption so we didn't pay a penny. In fact, she needed medical treatment for over three weeks and they covered the entire vet bill. 👍 I don't know if you have a similar contract or else may want to consider asking the shelter if they will help with the medical fees.

Although not specific to mycoplasma this TCS Article on eye problems may be helpful especially since it discusses when to see a veterinary ophthalmologist for a second opinion: Eye Problems In Cats: What Every Owner Needs To Know
I'm glad I'm not alone. Unfortunately, I have been in a battle with the shelter to try and get a refund. They agreed over the phone and yet a refund hasn't been processed, and my calls and emails are ignored. Very disappointed that there wasn't an agreement in the contract for covering care if they were sick. The two cats were $240 and I wish they could cover that at least, since we are well over $650 in bills at this point. I don't know what else to do to get that money back. Thinking of scanning my receipts from the vet and sending them to them to make it clear I'm being honest that it's been 6 weeks of illness since two days after bringing them home.

Water Lily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm glad I'm not alone. Unfortunately, I have been in a battle with the shelter to try and get a refund. They agreed over the phone and yet a refund hasn't been processed, and my calls and emails are ignored. Very disappointed that there wasn't an agreement in the contract for covering care if they were sick. The two cats were $240 and I wish they could cover that at least, since we are well over $650 in bills at this point. I don't know what else to do to get that money back. Thinking of scanning my receipts from the vet and sending them to them to make it clear I'm being honest that it's been 6 weeks of illness since two days after bringing them home.
Could you go to the shelter in person (maybe with vet bills)? I think it would be a little more challenging to ignore you then.
I’m sorry you’re going through this. Hope the kittens are feeling better.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thinking of scanning my receipts from the vet and sending them to them to make it clear I'm being honest that it's been 6 weeks of illness since two days after bringing them home.
Do that. And then do this:
Could you go to the shelter in person (maybe with vet bills)? I think it would be a little more challenging to ignore you then.
I’m sorry you’re going through this. Hope the kittens are feeling better.
Also, be aware that Josephine may start feeling better quite quickly, which can tempt you to stop giving the antibiotics. Do not succumb to this temptation!!! She needs to complete the full treatment. Not doing so can result in a relapse with an antibiotic resistant version of the Mycoplasma.

I'm very glad you took her back in. And they're both adorable!

Margret

Lranders29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do that. And then do this:

Also, be aware that Josephine may start feeling better quite quickly, which can tempt you to stop giving the antibiotics. Do not succumb to this temptation!!! She needs to complete the full treatment. Not doing so can result in a relapse with an antibiotic resistant version of the Mycoplasma.

I'm very glad you took her back in. And they're both adorable!

Margret
Thank you. I’m so frustrated they won’t refund us. I guess I need to be more persistent. Feels crappy to ask for money back from the shelter. The whole reason I support shelters is I know they do important work. She is taking the doxycycline well so far which is great and I have her on probiotics for her tummy. I sure hope this kicks it. I’m glad she’s doing better and has her personality and appetite back!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep up the probiotics for a few days after the antibiotics end. I'm glad you're having success with that; I'm having trouble getting probiotics into Bright Eyes after his recent series of antibiotics.

When you go in to the shelter with the vet bills, remember to remind them that they agreed to help you with these - you aren't doing this in a vacuum. All you're doing is asking them to live up to their commitment.

How is Neptune doing? No signs that he's caught the mycoplasma, I hope?

Margret

Last edited: