Always Meawing For Food, Am I Not Feeding Enough?

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello,
My 8 month old kitty eats wet and dry food. Wet food 3 times a day ( about 5 oz. all together) and just under 1/2 a cup of dry through the day ( she really likes her dry food I encourage her to eat more wet food) I don't serve her dry food all at once, I give her a little at times in between wet food feedings, but she's always meawing for food a little after she's finished her servings. She's healthy and active, am I feeding her too little or am I doing anything wrong?
Is it okay to not give her more food after she's done her serving and just wait until next feeding time ( I feel bad not giving her more but most of the time she meaw for dry food but I don't want her to become addicted to the dry food)?
I've attached some pictures just to show her size, hope they are clear!
Thanks in advance

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
She's still young enough that she needs to eat as much as she'll consume, so go ahead and feed more. If adding a fourth meal of wet food still doesn't take care of it, keep the fourth meal in the schedule and add more to each cannrd food meal.
She's a sweetheart!!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She sure is a cutie! And, yes, she should eat all the food she wants up to a year old. Most likely, her appetite will slow down in the next month or two, as she's almost full grown.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Say, GGG GGG , I've had this happen a couple of times before and I can't figure out what exactly is going on yet, but did you see my post above?

• Purraise
Reactions: GGG
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!
She's still young enough that she needs to eat as much as she'll consume, so go ahead and feed more. If adding a fourth meal of wet food still doesn't take care of it, keep the fourth meal in the schedule and add more to each cannrd food meal.
She's a sweetheart!!
Thank you!

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Say, GGG GGG , I've had this happen a couple of times before and I can't figure out what exactly is going on yet, but did you see my post above?
I just did! Thank you so much

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When mine was still a kitten, I free fed kibble and gave him a bunch of wet food in the morning and evening. That was the easiest way to make sure he got to eat as much as he wanted.

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks ! That's what I do but she wants more so she's getting more

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
GGG GGG , an eight month old is still very much a kitten and she could be going through her growth spurts and she needs to eat more.

I agree with the above posters is to feed her more amount and more often till she's satisfied and also till she becomes an adult (taking that your kitty is the normal breed, not the large breed which mature between 2-4 years old), she may continue to eat the same amount and her food intake and number of feeds will taper down. You may come to a stage and start to worry why she is eating less. When they past the adult age, food intake slows down. Just feed her the required calories needed for the day or like me, ignore the label instructions on the cans but just follow my boy's tummy call.

Last edited:

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
GGG GGG , an eight month old is still very much a kitten and she could be going through her growth spurts and she needs to eat more.

I agree with the above posters is to feed her more amount and more often till she's satisfied and also till she becomes an adult (taking that your kitty is the normal breed, not the large breed which mature between 2-4 years old), she may continue to eat the same amount and her food intake and number of feeds will taper down. You may come to a stage and start to worry why she is eating less. When they past the adult age, food intake slows down. Just feed her the required calories needed for the day or like me, ignore the label instructions on the cans but just follow my boy's tummy call.
Thank you for you advice! Very helpful!!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you for you advice! Very helpful!!
IMG_3140.GIF

Kittens need all the nutrients and proteins from wet food and you can never overfeed a kitten with wet food. Wet food keeps them hydrated and you can add on some filtered water to the wet food to make your kitten to have more water intake. Some cats don't drink water so wet food is the best choice.
You can't add water to dry food as it'll attract bacteria. And dry food is full of carbohydrates and dry food don't clean teeth.

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to get her to eat more wet food, so far is going well! She likes to drink water from her water fountain. She's picky about what's type of wet food I give her, so far weruva, cat in the kitchen, tiki cat she likes. Sometimes I give her some Fancy Feast ( i know it's not the best food out there) but when she gets picky I give her FF I think it's better than not eating any wet food. I give her Almo Nature as a treat ( I don't think it's a full balance meal) and she loves it. What's your opinion on this?
Thank you so much for your helpful information!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In my opinion, giving her different brands is a great way to provide her with different types of ingredients/nutrition, plus it'll help keep her from becoming a one brand of food cat.
Good on you!

• Purraise
Reactions: GGG