Allergies And Steroids?

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A couple months ago one of my cats started itching. Only on his head, in front of his ears. He ended up scratching it raw so I took him to the vet. She did suspect allergies and since he was in such misery she did a steroid shot for quick relief. We agreed steroids could not be a long term solution as he is already overweight and I don't want to invite diabetes. She was hoping, due to the timing, he had developed seasonal allergies and with any luck he would be through it by the time the steroids wore off. The shot helped immediately and within a couple days his head looked great and no mo re scratching. About a month later the scratching was back. We started him on chlorpheniramine pills for the allergies. He has been on them for two weeks. Vet wants him to go another 2 weeks, still hoping it is seasonal and we can get past it. If he still has symptoms after 2 weeks we will do allergy testing to try and figure out the cause. He has ups and downs on the pills. Some days are good and some days he scratches, but not as bad as before. I am so worried about it being food allergies. So this long post is due to an article I came across. I will paste the part I am curious on-
"Because itchy skin is a common symptom for other allergies, you can’t diagnose a food allergy from these symptoms alone, says Gary Thompson, a board-certified veterinarian at West Suburban Animal Hospital in Toledo, Ohio. However, if the symptoms started in winter or occur year-round, and the itchy skin does not respond to steroid or other medical treatments, your cat might be experiencing food allergies."
So, since he did respond well to the steroid shot this is likely not a food allergy? I am so confused and overwhelmed!

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My understanding of allergies is that regardless of what triggers them, environmental, food or contact allergies, they will all react positively to steroids as they are an immune system reaction to an allergen. The problem is to figure out where the allergy comes from, especially since it can be caused by multiple triggers.
The good thing is some cats react very well to antihistamine alone and do not require the use of steroids. There are also steroids like Atopica that are known to not cause long term problems such as diabetes. unfortunately this was not the case for Huxley as he still was sympomatic, even with a combination of Pred and Zyrtec.
As far as I know, there are no long term side effects to long term daily use of over the counter antihistamine, but it is obviously always best to try and figure out what the allergen is, as allergies can cause other issues since the body deals with constant inflammation. The vet thinks it's because of allergies that Huxley now has IBD. The difference here being that Runt's allergy reaction seems limited to scratching a specific area on his head, so hopefully he wouldn't have those kinds of complications, but you wouldn't want the itching to spread to other parts of his body. I think your plan to try and ride out the allergy season, and see how he does in the summer and Fall is a good idea, although be aware that some weeds can create reactions in July/August, but if he continues to scratch, I would go ahead with the testing. It would at least eliminate fleas, moulds,dust and dust mites allergies and give you an idea of proteins to try and avoid (though food testing is not very accurate). Since it seems that your cats have been eating chicken for a while, I would start by a protein that is not from the poultry family, and keep them on that for a few weeks. Figuring out allergies is a long frustrating journey, but a methodical approach will help you work it out. :)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
kittensx4 kittensx4 , how old is this cat? Is this the first summer you've had him? Just wondering if he had this issue last summer, or if you are living in a different area this year than last, etc. to try to help figure out if it's a seasonal allergy or not. Also, did you happen to get any new furniture, carpet, etc. It could be something that he's rubbing against that's causing the reaction...even a different laundry detergent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
kittensx4 kittensx4 , how old is this cat? Is this the first summer you've had him? Just wondering if he had this issue last summer, or if you are living in a different area this year than last, etc. to try to help figure out if it's a seasonal allergy or not. Also, did you happen to get any new furniture, carpet, etc. It could be something that he's rubbing against that's causing the reaction...even a different laundry detergent.
Runt is 5 years old and I have had him since birth. This is the first time he has gone through this. He has had a couple skin issues in the past, like dandruff but not severe and he is a big guy (17 lbs) so it's not that surprising. A couple years ago he got chin acne but switching all dishes to stainless steel and ceramic pretty much took care of that. My cats are on revolution and no signs of fleas. We live in the same house with no new carpet or furniture since we've had him and I have always used tide sensitive detergent to wash everything. There is nothing new I can think of? And trust me I am racking my brain. I switched out the furnace/a.c. filters to top of the line allergy filters and have put in 2 whole house air purifiers. I'm just desperately hoping it isn't food related as I have 5 cats that insist on eating together and eating the same thing so a food trial will be rough. Especially since my cat Timmy has idiopathic cystis and very sensitive digestion.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the long post and I sure appreciate any ideas and advice:)

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I read this while doing some research kn IBD and thought of you. :-)
You could also get an air purifier and see if that makes any difference. I have one for my own allergy (to cats!)
Hope this helps

Attachments

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I read this while doing some research kn IBD and thought of you. :)
You could also get an air purifier and see if that makes any difference. I have one for my own allergy (to cats!)
Hope this helps
Thanks for the info. I already went overkill and bought 2 whole house air purifiers!

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Runt is 5 years old and I have had him since birth. This is the first time he has gone through this. He has had a couple skin issues in the past, like dandruff but not severe and he is a big guy (17 lbs) so it's not that surprising. A couple years ago he got chin acne but switching all dishes to stainless steel and ceramic pretty much took care of that. My cats are on revolution and no signs of fleas. We live in the same house with no new carpet or furniture since we've had him and I have always used tide sensitive detergent to wash everything. There is nothing new I can think of? And trust me I am racking my brain. I switched out the furnace/a.c. filters to top of the line allergy filters and have put in 2 whole house air purifiers. I'm just desperately hoping it isn't food related as I have 5 cats that insist on eating together and eating the same thing so a food trial will be rough. Especially since my cat Timmy has idiopathic cystis and very sensitive digestion.
Oh, and I vacuum thoroughly twice a week and run the roomba the other days.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I read this while doing some research kn IBD and thought of you. :)
Hope this helps
I had one decent air purifier as I too am allergic to cats. (So I brilliantly have 5 of them). But I replaced with the 2 heavy duty hepa whole house air purifiers.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Huxley has spent his day either sleeping on my lap or hiding behind the tv stand. He's not eating his wet food either.
:-(
Friday he was scratching pretty good. So I went back to 3mg of his allergy meds and things are better today.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Huxley has spent his day either sleeping on my lap or hiding behind the tv stand. He's not eating his wet food either.
:-(
Oh no! Why is he hiding? Is that normal for him? Bathroom breaks going ok?

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is clearly not well. Has been licking his lips all day (nausea), has not gone to the bathroom or drink much. He's just been sleeping and hiding/keeping his distance

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is clearly not well. Has been licking his lips all day (nausea), has not gone to the bathroom or drink much. He's just been sleeping and hiding/keeping his distance
Darn it! This poor boy.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am at a loss. Boarding looks more and more likely. Maybe that would be best for him as they would be able to get his meds properly, start b12 injections if he needs them, and even manage to take away that dry food altogether. I think that's causing the constipation as he was perfectly regular before starting eating grains. If I can barely take care of him now that he is in the middle of what looks like an IBD flare up, my friends have no chance to make it, and it's putting him in danger. Stoping Pred abruptly would not be good at all.
:(
Darn it! This poor boy.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am at a loss. Boarding looks more and more likely. Maybe that would be best for him as they would be able to get his meds properly, start b12 injections if he needs them, and even manage to take away that dry food altogether. I think that's causing the constipation as he was perfectly regular before starting eating grains. If I can barely take care of him now that he is in the middle of what looks like an IBD flare up, my friends have no chance to make it, and it's putting him in danger. Stoping Pred abruptly would not be good at all.
:(
You definitely have a point. Is the boarding at the vets office?

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes. I assume he might stay in the hospital wing at first, then move to their nicer, boarding facilities upstairs. Oh My Goodness! We are eating wet food right now!! Fingers crossed he eats it all!

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes. I assume he might stay in the hospital wing at first, then move to their nicer, boarding facilities upstairs. Oh My Goodness! We are eating wet food right now!! Fingers crossed he eats it all!
Oh yay! You're right, in his case boarding is probably best since it is at the vet. You would probably worry a LITTLE less if he is there.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most likely. Though I know he will be terrified the whole time. And he only licked it a bit and went away :(