All Things Books And Reading Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This book is an excellent, well-researched page turner. The Black Dahlia case wasn't nearly as unsolvable as has been reported over the past seven decades.
I went to Amazon for reviews, and, as I customarily do, checked out all the 3-star reviews (3 stars can lean either way - when most of them are positive it probably means it's a great book, and when most of them are negative there's likely to be a good reason for that). Not only were most of the 3-star reviews negative, the main reason they gave was that the book ignored some well-established facts that would disprove the author's theory of the crime.

I'm not an expert on the Black Dahlia murder, so I'm unable to verify all this for myself (at least, not without a lot of work and probably buying a lot of books on the subject), but the reviewers were willing to name names and give sources, and this was coming from multiple reviewers. This makes me think that there's a good chance the reviewers are right. I won't be buying the book. If you already have it, and are truly interested in this crime, I recommend checking out those 3-star reviews as a way to get started on researching the rest of the available evidence. And I'd be very interested to know what you think afterwards, not just about this book, but about the murder itself.

Margret

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I lived across the street from a crematorium in Gainesville, FL. And did the yearly inventory for Dr. Maples at the C.A. Pound Human ID Lab.
I think once you get over the initial "ickyness" about death funeral culture can be really interesting. I've wandered around a few cemeteries on my travels, I think they represent the countries they are located in an uncanny way. I went to the cemetery where Evita is buried in Argentina and it was gorgeous. Beautifully decorated, elaborate tombs and big tropical plants growing everywhere. It looked like something from the set of "Interview With A Vampire"

I'm reading Nick Cave's The Death of Bunny Munro now. It's pretty good

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think once you get over the initial "ickyness" about death funeral culture can be really interesting.
Years ago I watched the tv series "Six Feet Under" and learned things I didn't really want to know about the funeral process, so don't think I'd want to read "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes".

I just finished reading The Baker's Secret by Stephen P. Kiernan . It was set in France just before D-Day. So similar setting to The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah but took place during a shorter period of time, and wasn't as graphic and heart-wrenching.

I've just started The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I went to Amazon for reviews, and, as I customarily do, checked out all the 3-star reviews (3 stars can lean either way - when most of them are positive it probably means it's a great book, and when most of them are negative there's likely to be a good reason for that). Not only were most of the 3-star reviews negative, the main reason they gave was that the book ignored some well-established facts that would disprove the author's theory of the crime.

I'm not an expert on the Black Dahlia murder, so I'm unable to verify all this for myself (at least, not without a lot of work and probably buying a lot of books on the subject), but the reviewers were willing to name names and give sources, and this was coming from multiple reviewers. This makes me think that there's a good chance the reviewers are right. I won't be buying the book. If you already have it, and are truly interested in this crime, I recommend checking out those 3-star reviews as a way to get started on researching the rest of the available evidence. And I'd be very interested to know what you think afterwards, not just about this book, but about the murder itself.

Margret
I did check out the reviews before buying the book; only 5 people gave it 3 stars, while 31 gave it 5 stars and 4 gave it 4 stars. I've read a number of books on the case, most of which were so speculative as to better be labeled fiction. Steve Hodel's and James Ellroy's books, probably the best known, were hogwash, IMHO.

The footnotes in the Eatwell book were so repetitive that it would be understandable if some of the 3-star reviewers skimmed or skipped them, but they showed how much documentation the author had and were in no way confusing or contradictory. None of the suspects were new (or far-fetched) and she had the details from the grand jury's investigation (released 50 years after the crime) that other authors didn't. They included several witness statements. Overall, her arguments that Leslie Dillon murdered Elizabeth Short are very compelling.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Still playing in my cozies! I'm finishing up the Second Chance Cat series by Sofie Ryan, although the fifth book is coming out this month, and I HAVE $15 in Amazon credits! I'm gonna ORDER THAT PUPPY!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd stand corrected, but at this point, I might actually fall over, so I'll sit corrected!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think once you get over the initial "ickyness" about death funeral culture can be really interesting.

I'm reading Nick Cave's The Death of Bunny Munro now. It's pretty good
My late friend's parents had a monument (headstone) ordering business, complete with samples on the front lawn. He was fascinated by the culture because of that.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Still reading "Telling Tails." Still infatuated with Elvis...the cat, not the singer...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Still reading "Telling Tails." Still infatuated with Elvis...the cat, not the singer...
I'd pre-ordered the fifth book, The Fast and the Furriest, and naturally had to read it right away. You discover quite a bit more about the somewhere mysterious Mac. Elvis is great.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SO...I finished the first four "Second Chance Cat" books, and went on to a pile of books that I was given. The first one, "Wings of the Storm" by Suzanne Sizemore, was...ok. Time travel romance. The science was iffy, but the historical information was fairly accurate, and the story was ok. While it won't have a permanant place on my shelves, it was certainly a pretty agreeable way to while away a cold night in the middle of dealing with a bout with flu. I'd have been disappointed if I had paid full price for it, but as it was a gift, I have no complaints. Right now, I'm reading "The Lady in the Loch," by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough. Not a bad book at all. The main character is a very young Walter Scott. The book takes place in Edenburgh, Scotland, and my main beef with the book is that the accent is so broadly and heavily written that I spend an inordanant amout of time figuring out what is actually being said! I'd be enjoying it far more with a bit less accent!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm really enjoying "The Death of Bunny Munro." I read Nick Cave's first book, "And The Ass Saw The Angel" a life time ago and I loved it. He's one of my favourite singer/song writers and he's written the screen play for some good movies too.

Bunny Munro is an even less likable character than Euchrid Eucrow, the protagonist in Cave's first book, was. It's quite satisfying reading about his downfall.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I started on "Hidden Empire" by Kevin J. Anderson last night. I'm not generally a huge fan of pure science fiction, but this is a very engaging book so far. I may have to read the entire series if it continues as it has started. I was interested to note that Kevin J. Anderson was a co-author of "Dune: House Atredies," as I am a fan of the entire Dune series. This book has that same rich texture to it.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I have not posted in a little while.

I have a lot of books going right now - but I'm really just skipping around reading them, something I don't mind doing. I'm going to take my nook to work to get in 15 minutes reading, that is my plan.

Books I have going (reading is kind of like sewing to me - got so many projects going, but I don't mind). :

Life Below Stairs
Nothing To Envy
Cat Sense
What Happened

Are The Medjugorje Apparitions Authentic?

I do not regret purchasing my nook.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
It's very difficult for me to put a book down, even at the end of a chapter. I literally have to be nodding off, or re-reading a page 3-4 times before I tell myself, "hey dummy, yer not gonna finish it now"... this usually occurs around 2:30 (ish) am.

I am trying to get better at it... It's pretty un-realistic to burn through a 12 book series in one go, after all. lol

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm still working on "The Hidden Empire," and it's slow-going. I'm still engaged, and VERY interested, but Anderson writes in a way that is very reminescent of George R. R. Martin...that is to say, 2-6 page chapters, each one about a different character. The story jumps all over the place, which makes me a bit crazy. You'd think that, with my very mild ADD, this would suit me to a tee, but it actually makes it more difficult for me to follow. STILL a very good book, thus far.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I finished The Death of Bunny Munro.

Spoiler Alert! Bunny dies in the end. It was a good book, but I still think Cave's first book, And The Ass Saw The Angel, was better.

I'm reading David Sedaris, Dress Your Family In Corduroy and Denim now.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, even in the middle of cleaning for inspection, I managed to gulp down all three books of the "Nick and Nora" series, and thoroughly enjoyed them! They are very easy reading, which suited my needs. I have to clean a little, rest a little, clean a little, rest a little, so they fit right in! I'm now starting on either "The Fast and the Furriest" or "Paws and Effect." I have this addiction to cozy mysteries that feature either cats or cooking (with recipes, please!).

Status
Not open for further replies.