All things Books and Reading thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have new books in the mail. The Vickie Nelson, PI series (six books...got them all) and the first four books of the Dulcie Schwartz Mystery series featuring, of course, a cat. OH...and a copy of "A Witch's Brew" which is actually a book on making beers, wines, and meads. And how to flavor different wines with herbs. I had it YEARS ago. It's out of print, but my used bookstore came through for me!

Yes, I could have ordered another bookcase, but I was out of new stuff to read. And those were all on my "must have in paper format" list.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds really good. I've just put the e-book on hold at my library.
Sounds like you like reading suspense. Think I've read all of the Dean Koontz novels. I like suspense movies too. I've seen Don't Say A Word, The Others, and Sixth Sense. I watch the old Alfred Hitchcock Hour shows on t.v. Which books and movies do you recommend?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like you like reading suspense. Think I've read all of the Dean Koontz novels. I like suspense movies too. I've seen Don't Say A Word, The Others, and Sixth Sense. I watch the old Alfred Hitchcock Hour shows on t.v. Which books and movies do you recommend?
Funnily enough, I'm not a big suspense fan. Especially if they are creepy, gory, violent or gross. But that book sounded interesting.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The mailman just dropped off the Vickie Nelson, PI series by Tanya Huff! Guess what I'LL be doing tonight?

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, it is. I bought the 8 book set from Amazon. Everybody likes Mudge. I sometimes use his blue-eyed bandicoot references. He may be the inspiration for Rocket in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Next set to buy is the Flinx and Pip series.

He also wrote "Splinter of the Mind's Eye", a sequel to the first Star Wars movie, that is better than the second movie.
Amazon has the 15-book set of the Pip and Flinx series for $115 in Kindle format. It is actually cheaper to buy the books individually. I picked up the first two today.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I disgraced myself in a used bookstore today -- I wasn't expecting to be there, so I didn't write anything down in preparation for the visit, and I had to actually ask at the counter for the name of the author of the Joe Grey series! I'm so embarrassed. :paperbag: As soon as she said "Shirley Murphy" I thought "That's Shirley Rousseau Murphy," so it isn't like I don't know her name. (To make it even worse, I did know to say that "Grey" is spelled with an "e," not an "a." :lol: And in case you're wondering, they had four of them in stock, all from the last century. :sigh:) I also couldn't remember Tanya Huff's name, or enough of the book titles to ask, but at least I remembered that it began with "H" so I went through that part of their SF and Fantasy department pretty thoroughly, and I would have recognized her name if it had been there.

I read most of the earlier Pip and Flinx books many years ago; lately I've been picking up individual books in the series whenever they pop up in BookBub.

Margret

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I loved the Pip and Flinx series. (So did my son) I'm getting them as I go around and find them. I really need to get the Spellsinger series (again as my son took my set after he lost his).

From the library on my iPad:
Cat of the Century - Rita Mae Brown
Behind Closed Doors - B.A. Paris
Dating Can Be Deadly - Wendy Roberts
The Awakening - Heather Graham
Die Again (Rizzoli and Isles) - Tess Gerritsen

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm still working on the "Vickie Nelson, PI" series by Huff. There are six of them and I'm on number three right now. I've ordered the first four of the Dulcie Schwartz series, which features a cat also. Two have arrived, but of COURSE #s 3 & 4 came in before #s 1 & 2!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a book on BookBub last month, Pop Sonnets: Shakespearean Spins on Your Favorite Songs, by Erik Didriksen. My enjoyment is somewhat hampered by the fact that I'm not much of a pop music fan, but the ones I actually recognize are hilarious! Didriksen's take on "Alice's Restaurant" is wonderful. I read it out loud to some friends and I could see recognition dawning in their faces as they realized what it was, before the end, where it actually says:
So if it's peace thy noble heart should want,
pray, sing of Alice and her restaurant!
Note: Much as I would like to post the entire sonnet here, I'm restraining myself because I don't want to violate copyright. Two lines, however, are well within the norms for a book review.

BTW, does anyone know of any good tunes that scan to the metric scheme of sonnets?

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Um...no? Maybe? I'll think on it...

Still on Volume Two of the VNPI. I keep thinking it is taking me forever to read it, but just 3 days in now, and it is a two-book volume! Looking forward to the Dulcie Schwartz series! Should be on that by the end of the week unless I decide to finish the Josephine Fuller series (mysteries about a plus-sized woman who solves crimes, a natural for me!) first.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll probably end up asking my choir director; he's well up on obscure music, and I'm sure he'd love the Alice's Restaurant sonnet, probably all of them.

Margret

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am buying Pip and Flinx ebooks on Amazon. When I finish one, I get the next one. Amazon Prime is too easy. I could spend thousands on e-books easily.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL...JUST realized that I had posted that I was on volume THREE when I meant volume TWO. I am now actually ON volume three!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
From the library on my iPad:
The Strangers on Montagu Street - Karen White
The Night is Alive - Heather Graham
The Night is Watching - Heather Graham
Grey - EL James
Flirting with Disaster - Sherryl Woods

Am I the only one who likes Karen White and Heather Graham? Has anybody else read their books? I like them.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Am I the only one who likes Karen White and Heather Graham? Has anybody else read their books? I like them.[/QUOTE]

I googled both authors and I think I'd like Karen White's books, since I like suspense but not murder mysteries. Which one do you recommend I read first?

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm a secetive fan of Heather Graham. I LOVE her "Harrison Investigation" series, and the Krewe books. Also love the Bone Island trilogy. I'm a few books behind on the Krewe series, but they are on my "to get" list.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Um..."selective" fan. Sorry about that.

I'm done with Huff now, and on to the second book in the "Josephine Fuller" series. There are only one or two more, sadly. It was kinda nice to have a series about a plus-sized, intelligent woman, full of spunk.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Am I the only one who likes Karen White and Heather Graham? Has anybody else read their books? I like them.
I googled both authors and I think I'd like Karen White's books, since I like suspense but not murder mysteries. Which one do you recommend I read first?[/QUOTE]

I'm so sorry, debbila debbila , that I didn't get back to you right away. My apologies. I liked her Tradd Street series. Start with The House on Tradd Street and then go from there; it's probably best that you do start from the first book. It's a good series and I enjoyed it.

I enjoy Heather Graham's Krewe series, but haven't read the Bone Island trilogy. Will have to check it out. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.